Official “If not Mario then who?” Thread

Advertisement
I’d want Lane but I don’t think he would leave Ole Miss for Miami. question the S.E is about winning, if we pursue a coach like Lane, and he interviews with the powers to be at the U, and they start talking about everything except winning, wonder how that will go over with these

…you know those games were redacted due to NCAA violations right?

You do know you are talking about a guy who had wins taken away FOR FOUR SEASONS, right?

And, yeah, those were MASSIVELY successful seasons:

2012: 7-6
2013: 8-5
2014: 9-4
2016: 5-7

Yep, THAT'S OUR GUY, Hugh Freeze...sooooo much winning...and who cares if 80% of his seasons resulted in the vacating of wins?

But, but, but, LIBERTY!!!

You do know you are talking about a guy who had wins taken away FOR FOUR SEASONS, right?

And, yeah, those were MASSIVELY successful seasons:

2012: 7-6
2013: 8-5
2014: 9-4
2016: 5-7

Yep, THAT'S OUR GUY, Hugh Freeze...sooooo much winning...and who cares if 80% of his seasons resulted in the vacating of wins?

But, but, but, LIBERTY!!!
….my guy is Bill Clark or Billy Napier. Hence why they’re 1 and 2 on my list after the 3 lists with Mario’s name on it.

You can talk **** all you want but Hugh gave that program life again after Nutt and Cutliffe destroyed their Rep.

Advertisement
So, then, can we PUUUUUUHHHHLEEZE stop talking about Hugh Freeze? Not just directed towards you, but anyone on the Hugh Train?
I already mentioned that Miami doesn’t have the balls to call him but like I added in my original post. Hugh gave that program life and after Nutt and Cutliffe destroyed it. A lot of people forget how hard those Ole Miss teams played. Again though, not happening.

I wouldn't put Kiffen over Mario, but I think highly of him and would be happy if he was the choice. Kiffen was an agent of chaos before he worked for Saban, but his failures and time with Saban seem to have humbled him. He didn't draw any negative press that I can remember at FAU, he teased Saban a bit for fun but he would always make sure to follow up by stating how much he respects Saban. He is a legit offensive guru. Schnelly fully endorsed him, and that carries a lot of water for me. He's a top tier recruiter. He took a 3-9 FAU team and went 11-3 in his first year as HC. Prior to his arrival, FAU had gone 3-9 for 3 seasons in a row. In just 3 years at FAU, he won 10+ games and the conference twice. So he's shown the ability to take what looks like a garbage program devoid of talent and turn them into instant conference champions. He's got NFL HC experience, P5 coach experience, learned how to run a program from Nick Saban, then applied that knowledge at FAU to turn them into conference champs. I think the detractors wrongly keep thinking he's Tennessee-era Lane Kiffin.
I guess as much as the Mario detractors think he's FIU era Cristobal

Do you like his current OC? How long have they been together?
I love Moorhead. I thought he was a fantastic OC and Miss st and Penn state. That why seeing the offense now at Oregon vs what it was there kinda tells me that who ever our OC is will probably be playing second fiddle to Mario. I think he's fine as an OC but their are things they can do better and I think he needs to delegate more control around rather than take it all on.

Advertisement
I already mentioned that Miami doesn’t have the balls to call him but like I added in my original post. Hugh gave that program life and after Nutt and Cutliffe destroyed it. A lot of people forget how hard those Ole Miss teams played. Again though, not happening.

I am more likely to give the Ole Miss boosters credit for giving the program life, but whatever. Freeze may be an adequate coach, but the NCAA sanctions cannot be ignored.

And from an ethical standpoint, Liberty is one step above Bishop Sycamore. I fully expect the NCAA to vacate all of the Liberty wins once they figure out where Liberty is.

It’s got to be Mario or Lane Kiffin. I’m not sure Mario’s gonna leave Oregon and those Nike billions to come down to this mess but who knows.

I like Freeze but his tenure ended with Ole Miss forfeiting 33 wins, losing 13 scholarships, show cause orders for two assistants bowl bans and Freeze being suspended for 2 games. UM will not go there!

Advertisement
I wouldn't put Kiffen over Mario, but I think highly of him and would be happy if he was the choice. Kiffen was an agent of chaos before he worked for Saban, but his failures and time with Saban seem to have humbled him. He didn't draw any negative press that I can remember at FAU, he teased Saban a bit for fun but he would always make sure to follow up by stating how much he respects Saban. He is a legit offensive guru. Schnelly fully endorsed him, and that carries a lot of water for me. He's a top tier recruiter. He took a 3-9 FAU team and went 11-3 in his first year as HC. Prior to his arrival, FAU had gone 3-9 for 3 seasons in a row. In just 3 years at FAU, he won 10+ games and the conference twice. So he's shown the ability to take what looks like a garbage program devoid of talent and turn them into instant conference champions. He's got NFL HC experience, P5 coach experience, learned how to run a program from Nick Saban, then applied that knowledge at FAU to turn them into conference champs. I think the detractors wrongly keep thinking he's Tennessee-era Lane Kiffin.
Despite my reservations, I do agree FAU-Ole Miss HC Kiffin is better than the Tenn-USC HC Kiffin. He would be in my top 5.

Let's see the results of the Ole Miss-Bama on 10/01, and the other games against SEC ranked teams. Beat Bama and TAMU? Maybe, maybe not. I expect Kiffin to bring prepared and motivated teams.

Alluding to previous name suggestions, and without reading 10+ pages of this thread, I don’t see Kiffin or Franklin coming here. Both schools show they care more about football than Miami does.

Same applies to Mario, we’re just hoping the fact he’s a Cane sways him away from a program with legit resources.

A coach who’s shown recent success at a smaller job is more realistic, and hopefully the kind of guy who does more with less.

Advertisement
Jimmy Johnson was 29-25-3 at Oklahoma State before he was hired by Sam Jankovich. You can’t expect Butch to be killing it at FIU with 2-Star recruits.

He’s a proven program rebuilder, and a great talent evaluator and recruiter. Things that have been missing from Miami since he left.

Also, Nick Saban is 69 years old, too.
Butch I any Nick Saban, maybe he could have been but his time has come and gone. I love Butch but he would need an absolute elite staff around him and I don’t think that happens here.

Butch I any Nick Saban, maybe he could have been but his time has come and gone. I love Butch but he would need an absolute elite staff around him and I don’t think that happens here.
I never said he was Nick Saban. I said he is 69, just like Nick Saban. People don’t just forget how to evaluate talent. That is a gift that he has. If he is still passionate, which he seems to be, he would be able to still recruit at a high level.

Also, you ignored my previous point. J.J. had a mediocre record at Okie St. before being hired by Sam. He had mediocre talent while there, and did the best he could with it.

Once he came to Miami, with the exception of his 1st year, he dominated. He knew how to evaluate talent, hired guys that could coach and were tough, and knew how to motivate his teams.

Now, having said all this, Butch will never be rehired at UM. The admin hates him because he’s an Alpha male, and that goes against their current mission statement. Same reason why I do not see Mario being hired either. He is also an Alpha male. These people only hire yes men, and beta males.

I hope I’m wrong, but when people show you who they are, you better believe them.

I never said he was Nick Saban. I said he is 69, just like Nick Saban. People don’t just forget how to evaluate talent. That is a gift that he has. If he is still passionate, which he seems to be, he would be able to still recruit at a high level.

Also, you ignored my previous point. J.J. had a mediocre record at Okie St. before being hired by Sam. He had mediocre talent while there, and did the best he could with it.

Once he came to Miami, with the exception of his 1st year, he dominated. He knew how to evaluate talent, hired guys that could coach and were tough, and knew how to motivate his teams.

Now, having said all this, Butch will never be rehired at UM. The admin hates him because he’s an Alpha male, and that goes against their current mission statement. Same reason why I do not see Mario being hired either. He is also an Alpha male. These people only hire yes men, and beta males.

I hope I’m wrong, but when people show you who they are, you better believe them.
We probably need a coach similar to Butchs mind set, but I just don’t think an Older Butch Davis is it. Name one time a successful coach comes back to a team a succeeds a second time. Rarely if ever happens

I love how people compare nick with butch regarding their ages. It’s apples and oranges. It’s like saying a guy like mani who’s never played football can be a good football coach because belichek also never played football.

Advertisement
Back