Official “If not Mario then who?” Thread

Advertisement
It was the oc arroyo. Oregon fans was complaining because the offense wasn’t as exciting as it used to be. Joe moorehead is the oc at oregon now and he is a very good and creative oc. He was the oc at penn st a few years back when they had mcsorley and he completely changed their offense around
Might be. I really don't know the ins and outs of Oregon.

And, IMO, that's one of the problems with Cristobal. He's never been a top flight OC or DC. So he's dependent on coordinators. Compare that to some of the better college coaches (Urban, Ryan Day, Saban, Lincoln Riley) who were notoriously good on 1 side of the ball. Maybe the exception is Dabo (?) but Clemson also has the money to pay whatever they want to hire the best coordinators. Can Miami? He's probably better off in that regard at Oregon.

Advertisement
Mike Gundy would be a awful fit down here
The Gundy ship has sailed , so it's water under the bridge. But this "fit" argument doesn't work for me. Gundy has had success, over an extended time, at the secondary program in his state.

He's also recruited very well in Texas. I don't see a "fit issue," and I hope this isn't the analysis employed by our search committee for the next HC.

Might be. I really don't know the ins and outs of Oregon.

And, IMO, that's one of the problems with Cristobal. He's never been a top flight OC or DC. So he's dependent on coordinators. Compare that to some of the better college coaches (Urban, Ryan Day, Saban, Lincoln Riley) who were notoriously good on 1 side of the ball. Maybe the exception is Dabo (?) but Clemson also has the money to pay whatever they want to hire the best coordinators. Can Miami? He's probably better off in that regard at Oregon.
Miami gave Dan enos a million so they can pay. His oc at oregon is making 900k and DC 825k

Advertisement
These suggestions of two-to-three year NFL assistants are really weird. Some of you have no clue how to scout a college football head coach.

Bill Clark and Hugh Freeze would both be good choices.
To be fair neither has the decision maker at UM for the last 15 years

These suggestions of two-to-three year NFL assistants are really weird. Some of you have no clue how to scout a college football head coach.

Bill Clark and Hugh Freeze would both be good choices.
Thank you. We need a program builder. A proven one. Who fits this bill? Bill Clark, Billy Napier, Chris Klieman of KSU and NDSU, Matt Wells should get a call, Jay Norvell, etc. I only mentioned Ken and made sure it was away from my list because I legit wouldn’t be surprised if we heard it but at the end of the day it would be such a let down.

Let these Coordinators go and get their first gif somewhere else and if Manny somehow survives til next year we’ll talk about it based of that performance but AS OF RIGHT NOW we need a proven guy. A Bill Clark, Billy Napier, or break the mold and call Hugh. End of story.

The smart thing to do is start with a list of qualifications or at least characteristics that would be checked off.

1. I don’t want anyone under 50. The young energetic coach has been overplayed and and age has been undervalued. Tom Herman, Fuente, Fedora, the list goes on.

2. I want someone who is used to and recognizes elite. So while everyone wants the dude from Cincinnati or the Iowa’s state guy, I don’t. I want dudes who have been at programs that have began recruiting elite since 8th and 9th grade. I want them to understand frame size potential and possible position changes. I want them to be familiar with the process of how a young man should look or can look or can develop into an elite player. Someone who has seen elite every day in practice. But also Someone who understands that elite talent need to be matched with certain intangibles. If I recall correctly Ray Lewis was offered for his effort in every play and his relentless effort in a game he lost and not because he was some elite 5 star recruit.

3. Someone who has recruited and won battles against elite teams or has done it at elite teams in talent rich areas like Texas, SoCal, Florida, DMV etc. Can’t send the Iowa’s state guy to Orlando against the sec recruiters. He won’t recognize the schools, the names, the faces the local youth football coaches etc. He will literally be a nobody.

4. Someone who doesn’t expect and understands that wearing the U on your polo isn’t gonna command some kind of respect. We need a person who already has that respect and the U on their chest is not going to be the deciding factor or the thing the recruits care about. Any weight that U had is taking its last breaths as we speak unless something happens real fast.

4. Someone with the clout and connections to talk that sht to Blake James if he isn’t let go. Someone who will demand 100 percent support and as close to a blank check as possible to this program.

5. Someone who will actually want to stay here. The dude from Cincinnati won’t even pack his bags or say goodbye to any player if Ryan Day gets canned and they offer him that gig. He’s literally osu’s version of Mario Cristobal. He was born in Columbus Ohio his wife went to osu and they met there.
Someone who won’t dip to any sec coaching gig the minute it pops up. We don't need an up and coming coach that wants to use this school as a stepping stone.

6. Someone who understands this city and what it’s like living here and actually enjoys it. This city isn’t for everyone. So while saying a guy like Hugh Freeze would be great, you have to ask yourself if a person that’s spent his entire life living in the the rural Bible Belt areas of this country would actually enjoy being a coach here. Some people have left sofla just because of traffic and real estate prices.

7. Do they enjoy recruiting. Do they not mind having to chase around and text young men.
So don’t get me a guy who’s been in the nfl for 15 years and thrust him into the belly of south Florida diva recruiting with all these handlers and tag alongs and flaky parents that are on social media constantly.

8. That list is short

9. No first timers and dudes that have a proven track record everywhere they’ve gone.

No, lazy hires it how we got Shannon and Diaz. This Bot and AD want yes men, guys that will not rock the boat or challenge authority. The issue is that is how they coach.
Shockingly, it is still possible to be a lazy hire and tout yourself a “Miami Guy” at the same time. I wouldn’t dismiss someone simply because they are not perceived as a “good fit.” I would dig deeper. Erikson and Johnson, heck, even Shnelly could be written off today as “bad fits” for the program.

Advertisement
No, lazy hires it how we got Shannon and Diaz. This Bot and AD want yes men, guys that will not rock the boat or challenge authority. The issue is that is how they coach.

The Venn Diagram of "good fit" and "lazy hire" can overlap. It did with Shannon and Diaz.

However, there is also a third circle for "quality coach". Richt fell into all three categories.

Lots have good coaches have not required a rigorous hiring process.

The smart thing to do is start with a list of qualifications or at least characteristics that would be checked off.

1. I don’t want anyone under 50. The young energetic coach has been overplayed and and age has been undervalued. Tom Herman, Fuente, Fedora, the list goes on.

2. I want someone who is used to and recognizes elite. So while everyone wants the dude from Cincinnati or the Iowa’s state guy, I don’t. I want dudes who have been at programs that have began recruiting elite since 8th and 9th grade. I want them to understand frame size potential and possible position changes. I want them to be familiar with the process of how a young man should look or can look or can develop into an elite player. Someone who has seen elite every day in practice. But also Someone who understands that elite talent need to be matched with certain intangibles. If I recall correctly Ray Lewis was offered for his effort in every play and his relentless effort in a game he lost and not because he was some elite 5 star recruit.

3. Someone who has recruited and won battles against elite teams or has done it at elite teams in talent rich areas like Texas, SoCal, Florida, DMV etc. Can’t send the Iowa’s state guy to Orlando against the sec recruiters. He won’t recognize the schools, the names, the faces the local youth football coaches etc. He will literally be a nobody.

4. Someone who doesn’t expect and understands that wearing the U on your polo isn’t gonna command some kind of respect. We need a person who already has that respect and the U on their chest is not going to be the deciding factor or the thing the recruits care about. Any weight that U had is taking its last breaths as we speak unless something happens real fast.

4. Someone with the clout and connections to talk that sht to Blake James if he isn’t let go. Someone who will demand 100 percent support and as close to a blank check as possible to this program.

5. Someone who will actually want to stay here. The dude from Cincinnati won’t even pack his bags or say goodbye to any player if Ryan Day gets canned and they offer him that gig. He’s literally osu’s version of Mario Cristobal. He was born in Columbus Ohio his wife went to osu and they met there.
Someone who won’t dip to any sec coaching gig the minute it pops up. We don't need an up and coming coach that wants to use this school as a stepping stone.

6. Someone who understands this city and what it’s like living here and actually enjoys it. This city isn’t for everyone. So while saying a guy like Hugh Freeze would be great, you have to ask yourself if a person that’s spent his entire life living in the the rural Bible Belt areas of this country would actually enjoy being a coach here. Some people have left sofla just because of traffic and real estate prices.

7. Do they enjoy recruiting. Do they not mind having to chase around and text young men.
So don’t get me a guy who’s been in the nfl for 15 years and thrust him into the belly of south Florida diva recruiting with all these handlers and tag alongs and flaky parents that are on social media constantly.

8. That list is short

9. No first timers and dudes that have a proven track record everywhere they’ve gone.

Mario turns 51 this week.

The only way Butch would work is if we spent millions on our assistant coaches and infrastructure and he could pull the mack brown former coach charm/and market himself as the creator of the most talented team ever.
At this point in his career our administration would have to hire elite assistants and add like 5-10 more player personnel analysts, recruiting guys,

My college coach preferences (not including Campbell or Fickell):

1. Mike Gundy- Go get him. He has to be getting bored, alumnus or not, being at Oklahoma State. Since 2005 he’s won 67.6% of his games in a power five conference and constantly playing second fiddle to Oklahoma and Texas (had been Texas A&M, too). He would be so interesting, personality wise, in south florida too. He’d fit in with the rest of the crazies. Plus he knows how to hire a staff. Stop looking for the uber **** flavor of the month hire and go for a guy who’s been very good for a very long time and still younger. I don’t know if he peaked a decade ago or not but I really think he just needs a change of scenery.

2. Neal Brown-three straight double digit winning seasons at Troy. Very underrated coach and this season will tell a lot about him but WVU looks very good this year and have gotten better each year. Has a very tough schedule relative to what WVU used to have.

3. Napier-An interesting coach who learned at Clemson, Todd graham and Saban (awesome recruiter there). Has paid his dues at a g5 program and they’ve looked great the past two years with two seasons of double digit wins.

With Napier one interesting thing is he’s played power five teams very tough: Texas this year, Mississippi State two years ago, they beat Iowa State last year.

The guy doesn’t just do a solid job because he has a massive talent or
Budget advantage (Golden had the top budget in his conference and could still never win it). He goes toe to toe in some cases with bigger programs. That tells me a lot. I like coaches that do more with less.

4. Mario-Has had some gameday issues but overall checks off a lot of boxes. If they invest in a great staff with him like he has at Oregon we could be cooking here. It depends on the administration and infrastructure they are willing to build. He knows the culture, has coached here and at FIU, and can recruit. Can we overcome his gameday problems and can we get him the staff and infrastructure he will need?

5. Lane-would make us either the baddest team on the planet in a good way or be a disaster/get us on probation. At the very least he would raise interest in the program in ways we haven’t seen here in decades and we would be incredibly fun to watch. The outcome, however, would be up for debate. Lol. High risk and high reward.

Honorable mention 1: Dave Clawson-do people know how difficult it is to win at wake forest? I had a relative that went there years ago and the school is tiny with as limited resources as you can find in power 5. He would be the least **** hire of anyone but we would overall be a lot better coached and he has done well at Bowling Green, Richmond, and Fordham too. Would he be good enough for our expectations? We’d probably, in every 5 years have 2 or 3 double digit win seasons. Is that enough?

Honorable mention 2: Chris Klieman, KSU. Awesome in FCS. Solid at KSU so far.
Your list overall is great though a bit unrealistic(Gundy) but anybody that has Lane over Bill Clark or Hugh is crazy. Bill Clark hasn’t had a losing season…ever. Not even when he was coaching Alabama high school football and he’ll bring a devastating D which is what we need, not an explosive O. Leave explosive O’s in the Big 12(just being theoretical at the moment). Play dominating D! Then worry about scoring 40 a game.

Advertisement
I think Dorsey, Joe Brady, and Bill O'Brien are all good choices (better than Mario). We need a no-nonsense technician and strategican who demands the most from the players. Someone who is old school and hates losing. People forget what a cut-throat savage Dorsey was as a player. He was a trash-talking stringbean with no athletic ability and went 38-2 as a starter and orchestrated many game-winning drives. He was also very cerebral as a player--he had to be.

Lol at Mike Gundy being an awful fit when we hired a drunk from the Pacific Northwest, and an OSU coach who wasn’t half as successful as him. Each won national championships. Good fits based on arbitrary cultural nonsense is irrelevant. Miami is full of crazy people and he’d fit right in.

He has the best winning percentage all time at Oklahoma State over a course of 15 years with the exception of a guy named Pappy in the early 1930s. Better than Les Miles, better than JJ, etc. If he goes downhill there it won’t be because he’s not a very good coach but probably just needing a change of scenery.

Jimmy Johnson was 29-25-3 at Oklahoma State before he was hired by Sam Jankovich. You can’t expect Butch to be killing it at FIU with 2-Star recruits.

He’s a proven program rebuilder, and a great talent evaluator and recruiter. Things that have been missing from Miami since he left.

Also, Nick Saban is 69 years old, too.

Just let it go man

At first I thought Fickell.. but then I remembered he went 6-6 in his HC season at Ohio State. Urban then came in and went 12-0. Not only that but Urban seemed to think higher of Ryan Day.

Now I don't think Urban would come to Miami.. but by the time the NFL season is over he might be sick of getting his *** kicked. Urban has talked about the issues Miami faces and for the right price might know its a place he could win a ton.

But if I'm thinking about someone not mentioned... Kellen Moore. How often do you see a new head coach come in and keep a coordinator from the previous regime? When everyone is healthy, the Dallas offense is badass.

Advertisement
Back