Offensive Coordinators

Would love to have Hartley back but curious what you mean by Mallory’s technique?

Mallory’s only problem has been his hands and once he started catching the ball this year he was a serious weapon

He can’t block for **** but that’s not his technique, that’s just him being weak as ****
That was the issue with njoku but Hartley really cleaned that up, a good TE coach gives you areas to improve to a complete TE but that’s my opinion

Advertisement
That was the issue with njoku but Hartley really cleaned that up, a good TE coach gives you areas to improve to a complete TE but that’s my opinion
Gotcha

Not saying you’re wrong just was curious what you meant

Mallory will never be a good blocker good lord he’s soft in that area

Maybe Feld can get him on the sauce…

I trust Mario but when knowledgeable fans point out that Golesh has never called plays and others supporting the candidate counter that point by mentioning that he is intimately involved in game planning, etc., I can't help but think about another former OC who also worked closely for a HC that called his own plays, but was said to part of the brain trust -- Coley.

Advertisement
I watch about two of their games but also watch him at UCF and to me I thought Heupel offense and play calling was better than ours. Pruitt didn’t leave much talent on the offense side of the ball and they were able to move against more talented defenses. They throw the ball a lot because the talent is not there in the trenches but Heupel will run if he is able too. He made the ex-Vt qb look decent. I’m Lashlee fan but sometimes he frustrated me because he was dead set on running the ball.

Tempo is fast, will push the ball down the field and wide open. It makes every QB in the system look good. TVD and running backs would feast on the ACC in Heupel system.
your spot on, but I'm a lil worried about MC he likes to slow down the offense, hopefully he considering uptempo is way to go!!

I trust Mario but when knowledgeable fans point out that Golesh has never called plays and others supporting the candidate counter that point by mentioning that he is intimately involved in game planning, etc., I can't help but think about another former OC who also worked closely for a HC that called his own plays, but was said to part of the brain trust -- Coley.
Don't know man... he failed here as an OC and he failed at UGA with much better support. He is back to being a position coach that simply understands Jimbo's scheme. I don't see it.

Coley has proven to be an inept play caller historically .. hence his career has topped out as "QB coach / ace recruiter". The guys from the Huepel tree have been pretty effective and move on to OC positions. Anthony Tucker moved on from UCF to Utah State as OC .. and he had worked with Golesh under Huepel. Believe Golesh would be a good OC.

This is a fair concern imo. If you're solely looking for someone who has a track record of success, Golesh simply doesn't have it and there's no way I can convince you to be happy about the hire. There's not much to debate.

If you prefer someone with a track record (like me), but are okay with hiring someone without a track record (like me), then the next question becomes: how do we distinguish amongst this group of people (those who haven't called plays before)? Just looking at the candidates who have no play-calling experience, what's a good hire versus a bad hire?

I look at a few objective factors:
(1) experience with other OC duties besides calling plays (gameplanning and implementing a scheme)
(2) coaching tree: who is your mentor? who have you learned under?
(3) Offensive Success
(4) Recruiting chops?

Golesh checks all these boxes. Golesh (1) has critical experience gameplanning and scheming, (2) has been mentored under one of the best playcallers in modern CFB (Heupel, who is far better than Jimbo in producing dynamic and explosive offenses), and (3) can take some credit for Tennesse's extremely impressive offensive output in 2021 (which was far better than AM's and almost all of FSU's offenses under Jimbo). Not sure about Golesh's recruiting chops, but that's less important to me.

Hindsight is a *****. Coley checked most of these boxes but failed. Golesh could fail. But I don't judge hires based on hindsight. I judge a hire based on whether a candidate possesses qualities and experience that are more likely, on average, to predict success. That is, Golesh is a good hire relative to another non-playcalling candidate who (1) is a position coach and has limited experience scheming/gamplanning (2) was mentored by a mediocre playcaller, (3) is an offensive coach for a team that produces ****** offenses, and (4) doesn't croot that well.

Advertisement
This is a fair concern imo. If you're solely looking for someone who has a track record of success, Golesh simply doesn't have it and there's no way I can convince you to be happy about the hire. There's not much to debate.

If you prefer someone with a track record (like me), but are okay with hiring someone without a track record (like me), then the next question becomes: how do we distinguish amongst this group of people (those who haven't called plays before)? Just looking at the candidates who have no play-calling experience, what's a good hire versus a bad hire?

(1) experience with other OC duties besides calling plays (gameplanning and implementing a scheme)
(3) Offensive Success
(4) Recruiting chops?

Golesh checks all these boxes. Golesh (1) has critical experience gameplanning and scheming, (2) has been mentored under one of the best playcallers in modern CFB (Heupel, who is far better than Jimbo in producing dynamic and explosive offenses), and (3) can take some credit for Tennesse's extremely impressive offensive output in 2021 (which was far better than AM's and almost all of FSU's offenses under Jimbo). Not sure about Golesh's recruiting chops, but that's less important to me.

Hindsight is a *****. Coley checked most of these boxes but failed. Golesh could fail. But I don't judge hires based on hindsight. I judge a hire based on whether a candidate possesses qualities and experience that are more likely, on average, to predict success. That is, Golesh is a good hire relative to another non-playcalling candidate who (1) is a position coach and has limited experience scheming/gamplanning (2) was mentored by a mediocre playcaller, (3) is an offensive coach for a team that produces ****** offenses, and (4) doesn't croot that well.
I agree with all of this but for me it comes to money.

With the numbers floating around and for our ability to land someone like Steele on the defensive side who's been elite at the highest level of college football within the last few years, I just feel like going for someone who's got a proven track record of success is the move.

I'm okay with a hire of someone who hasn't called plays within the proper coaching tree, golesh, willy korn, etc. But with the money we have, we really should be getting a top 5 successful playcaller in all of college football. Otherwise what's the point of the budget if we're taking risks on up and comers? that's just my two cents.

(3) Offensive Success
(4) Recruiting chops?

Coley was from the Jimbo coaching tree. The problem with that is it’s such a tough offense to make work. ****, Jimbo struggles to make it work a lot of the time.

It would be like wanting somebody from the Paul Chryst offensive coaching tree. Why even take a chance on hoping somebody could produce that offense?

That’s not the same thing as say Mike Leach’s Air Raid. That system lends itself so much better to college. Which is why you aren’t taking nearly the risk of hiring somebody from that offense, even if they have never called plays.

Does anyone have intel to say if the plan is to hire an OC that also coaches and recruits QBs?

Knowing Mario’s focus on recruiting you’d have to think the hire(s) would be someone that has proven they can evaluate and recruit QBs…

I watch more than most people on the board. Wife graduated from UT, live in that area, etc.

Tennessee’s offense was straight electric this season. For the first time in as long as I can remember I enjoyed watching them play. The O is clearly a favorite with the players, they lost some of their best talent and managed to vastly outperform their predecessors. Made Hendon Hooker a household name.

Tempo, pushing the ball down the field. Rushed for 2800 and passed for 3300 as a team.

I will also say this, his offense at UCF (the year prior to going to UT) put up a lot of points, which was impressive for a number of reasons. First, it was the "COVID year" and there was a lot of rescheduling and uncertainty, plus the depth at a G5 is not as great as it is at P5 (for when a kid would get COVID or be quarantined for contact tracing, etc.). Second, he was a first-year OC at both UCF in 2020 and UT in 2021. To walk into two situations brand-new, and then put up a ton of points in nearly every game (his worst points-totals in 2020 and 2021 came when he played UGa, Bama, Ole Miss, and the Gaytors) is an indication that he takes the talent that is already on the roster and unleashes that talent in a productive and efficient way.

I would be fine with this hire. While UCF in 2020 was not as good as the year before, it was Heupel's coaching and offensive production that got him the job at Tennessee. Just look at the points scored in all of the 2020 wins (UCF) and 2021 wins (Tennessee) and you see a bunch of games with 50 and 60 points scored. And UCF/UT lost a couple of shootouts too. Obviously two different situations (UCF playing mostly G5 schools, and UT playing mostly SEC schools), but it is a fairly impressive 2-year track record of offensive output, regardless of what the defenses at both schools allowed.

And, yes, I know that Heupel gets some/a lot of the credit too, I'm not discounting that. I'm pointing out that if Golesh meshed with Heupel for two years at two different programs, he likely has some of the same approaches to personnel and playcalling, and he may be looking for a chance to spread his wings and prove he can do it on his own.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Would love to have Hartley back but curious what you mean by Mallory’s technique?

Mallory’s only problem has been his hands and once he started catching the ball this year he was a serious weapon

He can’t block for **** but that’s not his technique, that’s just him being weak as ****
Mallory's problem as a blocker are not a technique issue. He doesn't have enough lead in his pencil. He routinely gets ejected at the line of scrimmage.

Field is a terrible on the field coach, none of the TE have gotten better under him but he’s a **** of a recruiter.
i agree. watching him on the sidelines he does nothing. compare him with Likens who was with his WR group and providing instruction the entire time the WRs were on the sidelines.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back