Offensive Coordinators

That's true but these days kids want to hear from the head coach. Mario alluded to that in his NSD Press Conference.

That's what ultimately undid Mullen at UF, like you said, he didn't care for that piece of the process and you just can't be that way at a place like UF as HC.

Now, him as an OC/QB coach is an entirely different story, I'm here to say it now.....my guess is that if Saban loses Bill O'Brien to another school/NFL....don't be surprised one bit if Saban tabs Mullen as his next OC/QB coach.

That has to be the only reason he hasn't surfaced, this dude is young and is brilliant offensively, no way he's just going to hang it up......there's something up and we'll know soon enough what it is.

Suffice to say, as an OC/QB coach, I would have to say that this person doesn't have to be an elite recruiter. Personable guy, yeah, but you don't have to be DVD level "cool to the kids" type to be good at your job of coaching QBs.

I can see Mullen surfacing somewhere like Arizona State where he can just take the kids that want to come play ball, and field an elite OFF with very minimum expectations. He'd basically be the UK/Mark Stoops of the Pac-12 and IMO that's a win-win for him.

Win-Win for us is to hire him as OC/QB coach but I'm sure everyone knows my take on that by now lol
The guy is an old Gator and a goofball, but hard pressed to find a better OC/QB coach. Would be a HR hire.

Advertisement
That's true but these days kids want to hear from the head coach. Mario alluded to that in his NSD Press Conference.

That's what ultimately undid Mullen at UF, like you said, he didn't care for that piece of the process and you just can't be that way at a place like UF as HC.

Now, him as an OC/QB coach is an entirely different story, I'm here to say it now.....my guess is that if Saban loses Bill O'Brien to another school/NFL....don't be surprised one bit if Saban tabs Mullen as his next OC/QB coach.

That has to be the only reason he hasn't surfaced, this dude is young and is brilliant offensively, no way he's just going to hang it up......there's something up and we'll know soon enough what it is.

Suffice to say, as an OC/QB coach, I would have to say that this person doesn't have to be an elite recruiter. Personable guy, yeah, but you don't have to be DVD level "cool to the kids" type to be good at your job of coaching QBs.

I can see Mullen surfacing somewhere like Arizona State where he can just take the kids that want to come play ball, and field an elite OFF with very minimum expectations. He'd basically be the UK/Mark Stoops of the Pac-12 and IMO that's a win-win for him.

Win-Win for us is to hire him as OC/QB coach but I'm sure everyone knows my take on that by now lol
I see your points. We here are enamored with “Elite Recruiter” moniker because for a good while, we’ve missed on evaluations and home grown players going elsewhere and becoming stars.

I think an OC/QB guy has to be personable in terms of QB’s and offensive players because he’ll have tons of interactions with them. If you aren’t “peopley” in that you can hold a conversation and can come off as likeable, in the generation of “we’re all friends because we follow each other on “Twittafacetube” you go from being a neutral component in recruiting to a negative one. That’s the main thing.

If another coach can recruit your offense, don’t kill the deal with your ineptitude at being a marginally personable guy. People that are labeled as “elite recruiters” know how to work the room and extremely likable. It’s about having some semblance of a personality.

In terms of Mullen, he may not have the personality to be a HC, but as an OC/QB coach and player caller? You **** right I’d take his weird *** in a heartbeat. He is extremely talented in developing QB’s and how an offensive is supposed to work.

Please, if you told him all he has to do is coach QB’s and design plays and leave the heavy lifting in recruiting to the aces? For me, that’s an immedate take if he agreed.

1000th post! I’m in that thang!

Advertisement
That is not what blocking all about, it's part of it. He's technique is bad, he lunges and drops his head often.
TE, where you have to block like an OT and run routes like a WR, tough position.
I mean, I want to block Von Miller but...
This. Mallory will NEVER be a great blocker but he can be adequate if he cares about fundamentals. He seems to do a good job of getting in the way and locking in to his guy in space. He’s usually effective on WR when he’s flexed out. He really struggles in-line and especially when he’s in the H-back position and he has to come across the formation to seal off an end. He drops his eyes and misses a lot. He doesn’t need to pancake guys just get in their way. He lunges and misses too often.

Lol. These guys are millionaires
Exactly. These dudes are making between 400k and up to 2 mil a year. Cost of living is not a factor. The median salary for Miami residents is like $60k a year.

With Miami being so bad so long it's a death penalty coming here if you don't succeed plus the high cost of living in Miami.
I'd argue there's way more to use your 1M+ salary on in Miami and its surrounding areas. Sure, if the goal is to hoard money in a vault, it may make sense to stay in nowheresville - assuming taxes are the same - with the same net pay.

If you or your family want to squeeze out some value from a metro area's offerings, I'd say the cost of time lost is a bigger loss as you pile up cash in an account.

I think time [doing what brings you joy] is more important than money, but of course it all depends on what a coach and his family value. Personally, I'd like both. Ha. A place in the woods and my place in Miami. If I had to choose one or the other for my family, I'd choose Miami.

Advertisement
With Miami being so bad so long it's a death penalty coming here if you don't succeed plus the high cost of living in Miami.
Yes, Jedd Fisch concurs. Oh wait, he became the Jacksonville Jags OC from Miami. Same for Mark Whipple. He went to the Cleveland Browns. Even Diaz is the DC at Penn State. Shannon hasn't been out of work. Same with Golden. Dude is about to win a Super Bowl ring and possibly end up at Notre Dame as their DC. Even maligned guys like Tim Walton are doing quite well. The only guy you can point to is Patrick Nix.

Your statement is absurd about "death penalty". It is not even remotely true.

We've been bad for so long and have had an incredible amount of assistants "fail up". Its the head coaches and some other factors that have legitimately stunk...but assistants have faired pretty well here. Tons of guys have gotten promotions from Miami to college or the pro game.

Advertisement
Scarlett Johansson Reaction GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back