Offensive Coordinators

Advertisement
He wanted to stay but manny got rid of the whole staff after Richt
Perhaps it was pre any notion of interest from Jawja for him but I remember that dude realllllly wanting to stay here.

Perhaps ignorance is bliss too as I haven't really ever heard any mention of him negative recruiting us but for an SEC-type guy that definitely could appear shady I still like the guy.

Advertisement
I will also say this, his offense at UCF (the year prior to going to UT) put up a lot of points, which was impressive for a number of reasons. First, it was the "COVID year" and there was a lot of rescheduling and uncertainty, plus the depth at a G5 is not as great as it is at P5 (for when a kid would get COVID or be quarantined for contact tracing, etc.). Second, he was a first-year OC at both UCF in 2020 and UT in 2021. To walk into two situations brand-new, and then put up a ton of points in nearly every game (his worst points-totals in 2020 and 2021 came when he played UGa, Bama, Ole Miss, and the Gaytors) is an indication that he takes the talent that is already on the roster and unleashes that talent in a productive and efficient way.

I would be fine with this hire. While UCF in 2020 was not as good as the year before, it was Heupel's coaching and offensive production that got him the job at Tennessee. Just look at the points scored in all of the 2020 wins (UCF) and 2021 wins (Tennessee) and you see a bunch of games with 50 and 60 points scored. And UCF/UT lost a couple of shootouts too. Obviously two different situations (UCF playing mostly G5 schools, and UT playing mostly SEC schools), but it is a fairly impressive 2-year track record of offensive output, regardless of what the defenses at both schools allowed.

And, yes, I know that Heupel gets some/a lot of the credit too, I'm not discounting that. I'm pointing out that if Golesh meshed with Heupel for two years at two different programs, he likely has some of the same approaches to personnel and playcalling, and he may be looking for a chance to spread his wings and prove he can do it on his own.

Heard no on Golesh

Advertisement
@Liberty City El

I wanted to get your opinion on a few different names. Not necessarily for our OC but in general and what you think about them.

Jake Moreland Western Michigan OC.
Willie Korn Coastal Carolina OC.
Steve Spurrier Jr. WR coach Miss St.

I know Moreland spent some time in the NFL with the Jets.

I thought it would be interesting to get your opinion on Willie Korn as he runs a unique system at Coastal Carolina.

Then Spurrier is intriguing because of his bloodline and since he works directly under Leach. Curious if you see any future there. Thanks!

Advertisement
We're paying up to $2M, have a stud QB, and great future QB to hand the keys to after TVD and we can't find ****.

girl crying GIF

I did not watch a minute of Tenn football for the past …..22 years.
Sincere question, what did you think of his offense at UT, and from a structural standpoint how does it compare to what Lashlee ran? We certainly benefitted from a wide open attack that gave TVD options.
I watched the Tenn vs Purdue bowl game and their offense looked quite good

Advertisement
Perhaps it was pre any notion of interest from Jawja for him but I remember that dude realllllly wanting to stay here.

Perhaps ignorance is bliss too as I haven't really ever heard any mention of him negative recruiting us but for an SEC-type guy that definitely could appear shady I still like the guy.
If it’s Miami v UGA I think he’d choose UGA with no context involved. But he liked it here a lot and loved the dudes he recruited

Hmmm, it’s a benefit for coordinators particularly offensive coordinators to have a recruiting rapport. As an OC, you’ll spend a lot of time with a QB and establishing that line of communication is critical. As great an OC/QB developer as Mullen was his knock was he didn’t like recruiting and toward the end it showed.
That's true but these days kids want to hear from the head coach. Mario alluded to that in his NSD Press Conference.

That's what ultimately undid Mullen at UF, like you said, he didn't care for that piece of the process and you just can't be that way at a place like UF as HC.

Now, him as an OC/QB coach is an entirely different story, I'm here to say it now.....my guess is that if Saban loses Bill O'Brien to another school/NFL....don't be surprised one bit if Saban tabs Mullen as his next OC/QB coach.

That has to be the only reason he hasn't surfaced, this dude is young and is brilliant offensively, no way he's just going to hang it up......there's something up and we'll know soon enough what it is.

Suffice to say, as an OC/QB coach, I would have to say that this person doesn't have to be an elite recruiter. Personable guy, yeah, but you don't have to be DVD level "cool to the kids" type to be good at your job of coaching QBs.

I can see Mullen surfacing somewhere like Arizona State where he can just take the kids that want to come play ball, and field an elite OFF with very minimum expectations. He'd basically be the UK/Mark Stoops of the Pac-12 and IMO that's a win-win for him.

Win-Win for us is to hire him as OC/QB coach but I'm sure everyone knows my take on that by now lol

Mallory just needs to toughen the f up. Blocking is all about want to.
That is not what blocking all about, it's part of it. He's technique is bad, he lunges and drops his head often.
TE, where you have to block like an OT and run routes like a WR, tough position.
I mean, I want to block Von Miller but...

That is not what blocking all about, it's part of it. He's technique is bad, he lunges and drops his head often.
TE, where you have to block like an OT and run routes like a WR, tough position.
I mean, I want to block Von Miller but...
Of course it's technique as well, but he's getting taught the same technique as everyone else. He's just soft and not using his technique because blocking is not something he wants to do. He just wants to run routes. I'll bet that changes this season or he'll spend a lot of time on the bench.

Advertisement
Back