Offensive Coordinators

Advertisement
I’m not faMiliar with him. I don’t need the coordinators to recruit.

I need the coordinators to be elite.

Mario and position coaches can carry the recruiting.
Hmmm, it’s a benefit for coordinators particularly offensive coordinators to have a recruiting rapport. As an OC, you’ll spend a lot of time with a QB and establishing that line of communication is critical. As great an OC/QB developer as Mullen was his knock was he didn’t like recruiting and toward the end it showed.

If Field were open to moving off the field, would love to get Hartley back. Solid recruiter, and also a great "**** you" to UGA for the whole B-Mac thing
Harley was rated #1 TE coach in America last year, manny really fumbled the bag on that one… Mallory hasn’t gotten any better in his technique since his arrival under Hartley we saw Chris Herndon transform

I did not watch a minute of Tenn football for the past …..22 years.
Sincere question, what did you think of his offense at UT, and from a structural standpoint how does it compare to what Lashlee ran? We certainly benefitted from a wide open attack that gave TVD options.

He worked in a little more Air Raid at Tenn., which I liked.

Heupel is interesting because he’s an Air Raid disciple, but then he saw the Veer and Shoot Briles was running at Baylor was so blown away by it he completely changed his offensive philosophy.

It’s largely a running offense, which Leach’s would never be. Although it wasn’t as much this past year since Tennessee didn’t have that kind of running game yet.

Lots of split zones, and then counters out of that. Very difficult to defend because difficult to key since it’s all being run out of the same formation. He does a lot of extremely wide splits with his WRs, but that’s frequently just to open up the running game. Much like Briles.

Then once defenses start cheating and loading the box, he RPOs you to death, or throws the ball down field with really basic route concepts.

Watch Tenn v. Kentucky from this past year. If you looked at the amount of plays run and time of possession, based on traditional ideas, you’d think Kentucky dominated.

But Tennessee scored every like 8th play they ran. And so didn’t run many plays or have the ball that long. It really was pure offensive poetry.

Sincere question, what did you think of his offense at UT, and from a structural standpoint how does it compare to what Lashlee ran? We certainly benefitted from a wide open attack that gave TVD options.
He didn’t call plays, like ever. Not a fan of a guy who has never called plays

Advertisement
Pretty similar to what Heupel did at UCF. Quick tempo, NCAA Top 4 in plays run. The UT QB is good, but he’s not TVD. I think he would do a very good job with UM’s athletes (QB, TE, and WE).
Field is a terrible on the field coach, none of the TE have gotten better under him but he’s a **** of a recruiter.
Then this OC could help Field and the TE’s.

Last edited:
Harley was rated #1 TE coach in America last year, manny really fumbled the bag on that one… Mallory hasn’t gotten any better in his technique since his arrival under Hartley we saw Chris Herndon transform

Not sure what you watched. Mallory got massively better over the course of the season.

Hartley and Field are both recruiters really. Hartley is an awful developer. 5* Darnell Washington hasn't done much, top 100 Luke Ford left after a disappointing year. It's telling their best TE was a frosh in Bowers who needed zero coaching to be great

Advertisement
Tennessee offense:

3rd down %: 25th
1st downs: t-19th
completion %: 29th
interceptions: T-1 (least)
passing offense: 40th
passing yards/completion: 20th
red zone offense: 57th
rushing offense: 11th
scoring offense: 7th
passing efficiency: 6th
total offense: 9th

For context, they were 109 In total offense in 2020.

Advertisement
I'm a UCF grad so I follow Heupel a little, even after he tanked the program

wouldn't be thrilled with golesh but working under heupel for the last two years, he definitely is capable of doing the job and I'm sure our offense would be fine.

still would prefer someone with high level success playcalling, especially with the money we have to spend. I mena we got steele who is a top notch proven commodity, I expect mario to follow a similar approach with the OC

also as I'm reading some of the posts on here, Heupel calls the plays not Golesh. I get they work together but just a note as I don't think some are aware of that

Last edited:
It’s largely a running offense, which Leach’s would never be. Although it wasn’t as much this past year since Tennessee didn’t have that kind of running game yet.
Tennessee till had a top 40 run percentage I believe, and at a very high clip (5.0 ypr)...About a third of it was Hooker.

Advertisement
One year OC, that about right? Spent 1 year before that at UCF not calling plays?

If that is right, not feeling that.
really more of a TE coach with an OC title at tennessee, Heupel runs the offense and calls plays. I'm sure Golesh helps in gameplanning, etc. but very rare to see a OC/TE coach and that's probably indicative of how much the offense is run through heupel

Would love to have Hartley back but curious what you mean by Mallory’s technique?

Mallory’s only problem has been his hands and once he started catching the ball this year he was a serious weapon

He can’t block for **** but that’s not his technique, that’s just him being weak as ****

Advertisement
Back