OC prediction

Candle would need to take a “demotion” to OC from HC, but he would likely bring K. Beard as WR coach and possibly another staff member.

No inside knowledge, but I believe the Candle shipped sailed last year. Such a move from HC to OC is obviously “one step back/two steps forward” type of thinking, but it’s too risky of a career move to hitch your wagon to Mario given our performance this year.

Also, the Longo aspirations seem far fetched and unrealistic. It’s a lateral move (at best) to a division/conference rival. Unlikely.

I’m on the “make it difficult for Tom Herman to say no” bandwagon until the wheels fall off. Then take a stab at Riley and Kittley (in no particular order). All three of those candidates make me giddy.

Outside of those three, I am gonna have to wait for LCE to resurface before getting too excited again.
Would Candle consider "a demotion" that more than doubles his salary? That might be the selling point. Good ol $$ and a very high profile job that, if you do well, can make your next job a P5 HC position.

Advertisement
In the discussion of Top 5 Non-NC games in Canes history.

’89 ND
’02 UF
’03 UF
’91 FSU
’90 Texas (Cotton Bowl)

??

Not to sound like a gen x'r here and not saying this is top 5..but ND '17 after so many years of being garbage was amazing. Not top 5 but feels like it (again, partially a product of being crap and it being a hated rival).

Advertisement
Not to sound like a gen x'r here and not saying this is top 5..but ND '17 after so many years of being garbage was amazing. Not top 5 but feels like it (again, partially a product of being crap and it being a hated rival).
I added the 2017 ND game in a second post…there’s too many great games for a Top 5!

Advertisement
Would Candle consider "a demotion" that more than doubles his salary? That might be the selling point. Good ol $$ and a very high profile job that, if you do well, can make your next job a P5 HC position.
No clue.

While total comp is an incredibly important factor in changing jobs, you have to consider the downside. If he fails at OC (whether or not it’s his fault is irrelevant) or the team fails to win and improve, he will be negatively impacted. That impacts his marketability and limits figure HC opportunities.

Last edited:
No clue.

While total comp is an incredibly important factor in changing jobs, you have to consider the downside. If he fails at OC (whether or not it’s his fault primarily becomes irrelevant) or the team fails to win and improve, he will be negatively impacted. That impacts his marketability and limits figure HC opportunities.
No guts no glory! Obviously Mario has a major sales job to do to any "elite" OC to take the job. Part of what he is selling is the new focus on recruiting ... the 2023 class .... the portal targets. Pretty sure there ARE many details he can share with a viable candidate that would paint an intriguing picture of the potential. You also have the confidence factor of a successful OC. Believing he can do it on a bigger, higher visibility stage. Pretty sure we all agree there are pluses and minuses ... and a smart guy needs to make a thorough evaluation. Mario wants to score points ... and from the candidates he was initially after ... Joe Brady, Ken Dorsey, Jason Candle ... he isn't locked into a "3 yards and cloud of dust" offense. Yes ... he wants to have a stout OL and be able to run the ball ... but also wants the ability to go vertical and get explosives. "Settling" for Gattis really bit him in the butt. Don't expect the next one to be vaguely similar.

Advertisement
Any coordinator who has success here will be moving on to a head coaching job in two or three years maximum. Turning down guys because they won’t be here long is pointless. Good coaches get promoted. You don’t see a ton of great coordinators stay at one spot forever any more

Depending how it went last time, I would guess he kicks the tires on Brady again. Or we fire them all and Bring in Dorsey and Brady. 😝

Advertisement
In regard to Brady. He wasn’t the OC at LSU in title, but most coaches are gonna look good with Burrow throwing to Chase and Jefferson, who are total freaks.

Megan Rapinoe Cool Story Bro GIF by Nike Football

Advertisement
Back