OBSERVATION: Zion Nelson

Because I a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

I'm sure he is a fine young man, but he has no business playing LT.

The coaching staff is just allowing him to be humiliated play after play on TV.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do, when, and to who
- ALWAYS .5 seconds behind rushing DE or outside blitz
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waist....just look at Perry's first sack against UVA...classic...
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY

Great post. I don’t know enough about OL play to even know if he has potential to be a good tackle. What I do know, as of today, he’s horrible. The worst I have ever seen on a Canes team. I have a hard time believing We have no one on the roster that can do at least a little better. He is so bad, it’s mind boggling. I’ve seen bad play from bad UM lineman over the years, but NOTHING compared to LT play I’ve seen this year. It’s a disaster, we must have a guard or some one that can play at least somewhat better. He doesn’t even get it the DLs way. He’s just over run and beat on almost every single play.

Advertisement
Your fears are a reality, brother. Nelson is one of our best five offensive linemen.

Let that sink in.

The OL Room is horrendous.

You might be right. But really, were that bad we have the worst OL in country by any measurable stat in all of college football. I know our recruiting at OL has been miserable over the years but this more than that. There has to be someone one the roster than can do a slightly better job. Nelson looks beyond awful this year. He can’t even get out of his stance when the ball is snapped. He’s not only getting blown up (which is OK for a underdeveloped FR), he’s getting worked around the edge on the speed rich EVERY time. There has to be a human being on this team that can at least get in the way of a defender.

This falls on Manny, Anos, and Barry. They are the ones making the decision to trot this kid out there every game and putting our qbs and rbs in harms way. Recruit, player development, implement a gameplan, call plays that give your players a chance to succeed, and in-game adjustments...they have failed in all these categories with this kid.
I refuse to believe that there is no other linemen on the team capable of going out there and doing a better job. Like someone said, this kid is 6 gms in and looks just as bad as his 1st snaps. Where is the development and improvements? What are the coaches doing in film study of this guy? I thought his best attribute was suppose to be having good footwork...them dam camp insiders will have you thinking **** don't stink til you smell it for yourself. But im sure he's a good kid😊

Can honestly see him starting at guard, but his vision and feet aren't good enough for left tackle.

Advertisement
It’s because he’s very athletic and he’s tough. His issues are correctable. But he’s obviously not ready now.

he’s not though. He is regularly beat physically. And not by bull rush techniques due to strength. Just ran passed, swam passed, whatever people want to do to get passed them they do it. His athletic ability doesn’t show up. It’s not like if he just had better technique he would be better. He looks like he doesn’t even belong on any football field. Is he an agile big guy? Sure. If being able to do a 3 cone and dunk makes you athletic for a tackle, he’s got that. But where is it on tape? Where has this athleticism helped him even be in the right position? Being athletic means jack **** if you don’t know how to use it or if you’re straight up just not good at the sport you’re playing. We fall in love with profiles and forget that this kid wasn’t good when we recruited him. He’s tough because he continues to answer the bell after getting his **** pushed in by his opponent. But the sad thing is it’s not even his fault. This staff has failed him, his team and the fan base.

I respect the **** out of you D. But man you over-hyped this kid. I graded him out as our worst recruit. I was wrong to be so harsh. But I was closer to the truth than you were. This kid will not be Miami material for at least two more years. We need TWO grad transfers this off season, because Scaife's more natural position is guard.

Unfortunately, the only move I can see that would make sense at this point is to flip Scaife to LT and Nelson to RT. Because Campbell is even more of a liability. Another change I would make would be to use less of Mallory (love the kid's talent, but he can't block at all) and more of Irvin who can help out with blocking and still be a reliable receiver option.
I'd love to see them throw the ******* ball to Mallory.

In space he moves around like he's athletic. After he's been beaten and he's chasing the defensive end who beat him Zion recovers nicely and looks athletic. Consequently it's not difficult for me to see why the coaches were fooled. During the play itself Zion does not look athletic, especially since the play always starts a half second later for him than anyone else.

He's not the worst I've seen. I'm less negative about him now than a month ago. But guys like this and Jon Ford are indicative of how far away we are compared to where we need to be. It doesn't matter at all if you see nice qualities. These are guys you collect and play if you want to maintain that nice dependable 8-4 level.

Advertisement
The way some of y'all talkin' Jimmy Johnson would've never made it thru his first year at Miami. He went 8-5 in his first season after Schelly won a national title here. Not only that, Jimmy lost in back to back games to Maryland and Boston College. Need I remind y'all we were up 31-0 to Maryland and lost, and I know y'all have all heard about Hail Flutie. Grow a pair, give Manny a chance and let's see where the rabbit hole goes. Some of y'all just complain to complain. FoH with that BS

I respect the **** out of you D. But man you over-hyped this kid. I graded him out as our worst recruit. I was wrong to be so harsh. But I was closer to the truth than you were. This kid will not be Miami material for at least two more years. We need TWO grad transfers this off season, because Scaife's more natural position is guard.

Unfortunately, the only move I can see that would make sense at this point is to flip Scaife to LT and Nelson to RT. Because Campbell is even more of a liability. Another change I would make would be to use less of Mallory (love the kid's talent, but he can't block at all) and more of Irvin who can help out with blocking and still be a reliable receiver option.

Yall need to stop saying this. Based on body type, yes, he would normally be thrown out at Guard first. But based on his actual play, dude is a strong RT and I've been saying since the summer (with other posters) that Scaife is our best and most versatile lineman. He SHOULD be starting at LT right now. Scaife and Donaldson looked to improve throughout last year when they combo'd the right side. Let them work the left together for the next 2 years while everyone else fights for the right side or to dethrone Scaife.

Wanna solve the Line position for next year? Recruit, recruit, recruit. Stop giving these 2 stars, low 3 star players schollys man. It doesn't make sense to go after the kids that want to be hurricanes. You have to work for some of these 4 🌟, 5 🌟 recruits and change their minds. Offering kids that wanna be here will get you mediocre results.

Yeah I dont understand how his reaction time is so bad. He's constantly beaten with speed and sometimes fails to make any contact with the guy he's defending.
Essentially his strength needs to catch up to his weight gain. He is a special talent that is not ready yet. By next year once he works on his strength, he will start to look like a really special players

Advertisement
It’s because he’s very athletic and he’s tough. His issues are correctable. But he’s obviously not ready now.

this ....
everyone is stating the obvious, but somehow dallas is averaging over a hundred a game and we're completing passes at a solid percentage despite all of zion and the rest of our lines short comings

again, we don't have neal or leatherwood, or some all-world guy coming in, we had to rock with zion as a move for the future and take some lumps in the process ... key word being process

Several times in the game, I was thinking Tater Tots needs to be warming up because I thought whoever Zion was attempting to block was going to KO poor Kosi. Glad it didn't come to that.

Advertisement
In space he moves around like he's athletic. After he's been beaten and he's chasing the defensive end who beat him Zion recovers nicely and looks athletic. Consequently it's not difficult for me to see why the coaches were fooled. During the play itself Zion does not look athletic, especially since the play always starts a half second later for him than anyone else.

He's not the worst I've seen. I'm less negative about him now than a month ago. But guys like this and Jon Ford are indicative of how far away we are compared to where we need to be. It doesn't matter at all if you see nice qualities. These are guys you collect and play if you want to maintain that nice dependable 8-4 level.

Ford?? Are you serious? You do know he’s the reason why our run D is so stout right? Or are you gonna give me the “We haven’t played a great rushing team so that stat of not allowing a 100 yard rusher all year is VERY misleading” BS like most posters do?

Ford and Nelson have nothing in common but the jersey they wear. Ford has been a stud and was a super stud on Friday night.

I hyped him as a guy who would blossom into a very good starter with time. He is already starting, earlier than even the most optimistic predictions, but is not very good yet.

Nobody predicted he would be good this early and everyone said he was being rushed into the job out of need.

I hyped him as a guy who would blossom into a very good starter with time. He is already starting, earlier than even the most optimistic predictions, but is not very good yet.

Nobody predicted he would be good this early and everyone said he was being rushed into the job out of need.

honest question; is it truly out of need or are we being stubborn with personnel I.e. Rousseau ?

Advertisement
Back