OBSERVATION: Zion Nelson

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

I'm sure he is a fine young man, but he has no business playing LT.

The coaching staff is just allowing him to be humiliated play after play on TV.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do, when, and to who
- ALWAYS .5 seconds behind rushing DE or outside blitz
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waist....just look at Perry's first sack against UVA...classic OL beat on outside by DE...like they will show it in training rooms for decades to come
- his futility in position is going to get somebody hurt--and badly with his missed assignments
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY

Last edited:
Advertisement
Because I a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

I'm sure he is a fine young man, but he has no business playing LT.

The coaching staff is just allowing him to be humiliated play after play on TV.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do amd when
- ALWAYS .5 seconds behind the rushing DE or outside blitz
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waste....just look at Perrys first sack against UVA...classic...
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY

that’s why I want to know what the people who say “he will be a good one” are seeing. He’s probably at 350 snaps this year and he looks just as bad as the 1st game. Physically and mentally out matched. It almost looks like he’s a 240 lbs 2* recruit that no one wanted and was going to redshirt in the sunbelt starting in a P5 conference. He has no business on the roster let alone starting. And it’s a bigger indictment of our staff who can’t get someone else prepared. Like **** just try another guy. It can’t get worse.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Plenty of us warned the Pollyannas not to get excited when a 2* basketball player gained a bunch of weight in the offseason.

But some people want to believe that anyone might be the next Jonathan Ogden.

He's just not ready yet, doesn't have the functional strength or footwork necessary to be a starting P5 LT.

Barry needs to seriously consider moving Scaife to LT & giving Campbell another shot at RT.

I encourage anybody that hasn't already to go rewatch the UF & CMU games and only focus on Zion the whole time you watch, he is BAAAAAADDD, like super extra terrible. Not just in the sacks he gives up, but pay attention to how many missed assignments he has in blocks he supposed to pickup & how often he gets beat on run plays as well.

OP is not exaggerating, he's the WORST LT in D1 ball this season.

Advertisement
He's just not ready yet, doesn't have the functional strength or footwork necessary to be a starting P5 LT.

Barry needs to seriously consider moving Scaife to LT & giving Campbell another shot at RT.

I encourage anybody that hasn't already to go rewatch the Florida & CMU games and only focus on Zion the whole time you watch, he is BAAAAAADDD, like super extra terrible. Not just in the sacks he gives up, but pay attention to how many missed assignments he has in blocks he supposed to pickup & how he gets beat on run plays as well.

And none of it should surprise anyone.

I encourage anybody that hasn't already to go rewatch the UF & CMU games and only focus on Zion the whole time you watch, he is BAAAAAADDD, like super extra terrible. Not just in the sacks he gives up, but pay attention to how many missed assignments he has in blocks he supposed to pickup & how often he gets beat on run plays as well.

If they haven't moved him yet they won't, theyve been preaching continuity

your earlier post today inspired me (im a sick fuq) to go back and watch every play.

again, not attacking him as a person, but he does not belong at LT for any D1P5 team.

he is significantly deficient in all key skill set--keeping him out there is cruel (to Zion) at this point.

Not the kid's fault. Hey, we have a guy in the program who already showed he can play some LT at this level. But, like almost every other ******* thing we do, let's overthink it. Probably won't happen now, but given the stakes for a green coaching staff that hyped the **** out of a product, it's ******* inexplicable we've trotted out this combination.

Not even hindsight. There are half a dozen preseason threads where more than half the board was waiting around for Scaife to be kicked out. The lag on personnel decisions - the Rousseau thing also took entirely too long - has cost us in Ls and, broadly, an eye-opening shaky start to a regime that needed the exact opposite.

/Back to lurking

Advertisement
Not the kid's fault. Hey, we have a guy in the program who already showed he can play some LT at this level. But, like almost every other ******* thing we do, let's overthink it. Probably won't happen now, but given the stakes for a green coaching staff that hyped the **** out of a product, it's ******* inexplicable we've trotted out this combination.

Not even hindsight. There are half a dozen preseason threads where more than half the board was waiting around for Scaife to be kicked out. The lag on personnel decisions - the Rousseau thing also took entirely too long - has cost us in Ls and, broadly, an eye-opening shaky start to a regime that needed the exact opposite.

/Back to lurking
😔 Sigh

Advertisement

/Back to lurking

why aren't they making a change re:LT?

IF Zion is the best Miami has?

Good lord...the others cant possibly be that bad.

fuq sake...but J Murphy at LT...

You re-watched EVERY snap of this young man's career. All of'em. With eyes only on him. Exclusively.

#1 - Why would you do that?
#2 - ...and that's all you came up with?

No analytical breakdown of his kick step, balance, hips, hand use, power, drive blocking, pulling, movement skills? No room for growth. No areas where he wins?

Just..."he looks lost"...???

Well, you know what, bud...yeah, he does. You're right.

Advertisement
Back