OBSERVATION: Zion Nelson

One sack, he came off the line and kinda ran in place for a second and was soundly beat around the edge. I believe it was in the 2nd qtr. He needs to have help at all times, honestly. I don’t blame him v. scheme, coaching, and him having no business being here.

Advertisement
why aren't they making a change re:LT?

IF Zion is the best Miami has?

Good lord...the others cant possibly be that bad.

fuq sake...but J Murphy at LT...
I honestly couldn't tell you. Why would we wait so long to play Rousseau and Garvin at the same time? What exactly do we use to make personnel decisions? My very random guess would be it's a combination of things:

- they see Zion as a viable long-term LT (could be)
- they see the combination of Scaife (LT)/whoever as worse than Nelson (LT)/Scaife (RT). But, forgive me if I'm not ultra confident in the decision-making process when they jammed Nelson/Campbell on opening night - partially costing us a critical W against a rival.
- this has all been a planned setup to look like **** (and get it on film) until now and then BAM! We start doing simple things that make sense

This is as humorous as it gets. I’ve been saying this kid is no good since we offered him, but people called me a troll, etc., because he could dunk a basketball in some propaganda highlight. The sunshine pumpers on this board need to own their place. Let’s find those threads - I’m sure they are about as funny as it gets.

Your fears are a reality, brother. Nelson is one of our best five offensive linemen.

Let that sink in.

The OL Room is horrendous.

Advertisement
Can’t expect better from an underweight 2 stars freshman .. he will continue to get destroyEd.

what competition he faced in high school? not that good

I believe we play him for the future and I also believe he will be a solid good player

that’s why I want to know what the people who say “he will be a good one” are seeing. He’s probably at 350 snaps this year and he looks just as bad as the 1st game. Physically and mentally out matched. It almost looks like he’s a 240 lbs 2* recruit that no one wanted and was going to redshirt in the sunbelt starting in a P5 conference. He has no business on the roster let alone starting. And it’s a bigger indictment of our staff who can’t get someone else prepared. Like **** just try another guy. It can’t get worse.

It’s because he’s very athletic and he’s tough. His issues are correctable. But he’s obviously not ready now.

Because I a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

I'm sure he is a fine young man, but he has no business playing LT.

The coaching staff is just allowing him to be humiliated play after play on TV.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do, when, and to who
- ALWAYS .5 seconds behind rushing DE or outside blitz
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waist....just look at Perry's first sack against UVA...classic...
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY
Wonder if Zion can give me an autographed Cleat???
1570938233436.jpeg

Advertisement
Sub that whole left side. Donaldson sucks too! But I would like to see how they are coached because you continue to see the same mistakes that should be corrected.

It’s because he’s very athletic and he’s tough. His issues are correctable. But he’s obviously not ready now.

I respect the **** out of you D. But man you over-hyped this kid. I graded him out as our worst recruit. I was wrong to be so harsh. But I was closer to the truth than you were. This kid will not be Miami material for at least two more years. We need TWO grad transfers this off season, because Scaife's more natural position is guard.

Unfortunately, the only move I can see that would make sense at this point is to flip Scaife to LT and Nelson to RT. Because Campbell is even more of a liability. Another change I would make would be to use less of Mallory (love the kid's talent, but he can't block at all) and more of Irvin who can help out with blocking and still be a reliable receiver option.

Advertisement
I honestly couldn't tell you. Why would we wait so long to play Rousseau and Garvin at the same time? What exactly do we use to make personnel decisions? My very random guess would be it's a combination of things:

- they see Zion as a viable long-term LT (could be)
- they see the combination of Scaife (LT)/whoever as worse than Nelson (LT)/Scaife (RT). But, forgive me if I'm not ultra confident in the decision-making process when they jammed Nelson/Campbell on opening night - partially costing us a critical W against a rival.
- this has all been a planned setup to look like **** (and get it on film) until now and then BAM! We start doing simple things that make sense

agree--its perplexing.

their lack of correction with Zion is similar to Giants and Flowers.

how did that work out?

Advertisement
At this point you have to worry about him being too far gone to ever get better. They’re gonna give him the red headed step kid syndrome.

Also don’t know why he has to play LT. Most other schools who like a prospect start him at guard and kick him out once he gets experience. Not us though

Athletic how?

Tough how?

If getting constantly beat week in and week out even by CMU’s DE’s is indicative of how “athletic” he is then ****, he’s a regular god **** Jim Thorpe level athlete.

If consistently getting worked week in and week out like a New York subway turnstile is indicative of how “tough” he is then ****, he’s tougher than a $2 steak.

I hate generic comments like he’s tough and he’s athletic when the truth is he’s shown none of those traits.

There is no way Zion is in our top 5 lineman. There is no way Herbert and Hillary can be worse than him. Campbell can’t be either. I want to run Kennedy out there, only because if he’s really worse than Zion, I’m curious how bad he can really be - just for the humor of it. Our coaches reward behavior, not results.

Advertisement
Back