OBSERVATION: Zion Nelson

Advertisement
he’s not though. He is regularly beat physically. And not by bull rush techniques due to strength. Just ran passed, swam passed, whatever people want to do to get passed them they do it. His athletic ability doesn’t show up. It’s not like if he just had better technique he would be better. He looks like he doesn’t even belong on any football field. Is he an agile big guy? Sure. If being able to do a 3 cone and dunk makes you athletic for a tackle, he’s got that. But where is it on tape? Where has this athleticism helped him even be in the right position? Being athletic means jack **** if you don’t know how to use it or if you’re straight up just not good at the sport you’re playing. We fall in love with profiles and forget that this kid wasn’t good when we recruited him. He’s tough because he continues to answer the bell after getting his **** pushed in by his opponent. But the sad thing is it’s not even his fault. This staff has failed him, his team and the fan base.

If you made a highlight reel of his good plays, the twitch and agility would stand out. But of course, LT is not a flash position. He’s been bad more than he’s been good.

The issues you identify are mental. He’s often tentative because he’s a true freshman and the OL as a whole is letting too many free rushers (a bad look for Barry as well as a reflection of youth). He’s also been late off the snap. On the physical side, the lack of mass/strength shows up multiple times a game.

honest question; is it truly out of need or are we being stubborn with personnel I.e. Rousseau ?

Both. They have Zion rated above Campbell, who is the next T up. Zion was better than him in the game they both started but it’s not a huge difference.

Advertisement
The staph probably doesn’t even realize Zion sucks just like they didn’t realize Greg was our best DE and should.. idk, play sometimes?

The staff assumed Patchan was a key reason why the run D was so stout and was afraid to mess with the rotation because of it.

Then they realized that it was the play of our DTs (mainly Ford) that was the reason for our run defense being so great so it made the switch easier I think. Rousseau can hold his own as well against the run too.

You guys know exactly what's going on here. When a new coach comes in he wants to reward his cool-aid drinkers. The guys who never miss a lift session, are on time to all the meetings and practices, the kids who go to class, and don't **** hot. That becomes a real problem when those guys are not your best players, it's an even bigger problem when they are among your least effective players.

Do you really think they want NKosi as the starting QB? The best defender on the team was seeing 15-20 snaps per game. Zion has already got Jarren hurt, it's so bad this kid can be seen on tape blocking no one as defender sprint by him to the QB. This is sad. This staff is clueless.

Advertisement
If Zion has potential, but hasn't developed or improved through the season, who exactly is responsible for that?

Hint: It's not Zion.

Last edited:
Because I a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

I'm sure he is a fine young man, but he has no business playing LT.

The coaching staff is just allowing him to be humiliated play after play on TV.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do, when, and to who
- ALWAYS .5 seconds behind rushing DE or outside blitz
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waist....just look at Perry's first sack against UVA...classic...
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY

would love to see him with better play calling. confidence is increased with allowing you to play to your strengths.

They don't actually see him as a future "good player." They just know our OL room is the worst in the country and they see no other option but to keep playing him.

Advertisement
Because I a glutton for punishment, I went back and rewatched every single snap Zion has taken.

I'm sure he is a fine young man, but he has no business playing LT.

The coaching staff is just allowing him to be humiliated play after play on TV.

Here is what I see:
- Overall looks "lost" with no confidence on what he is supposed to do, when, and to who
- ALWAYS .5 seconds behind rushing DE or outside blitz
- His legs are too far back as a base when he engages defenders....fug sake my old *** could spin him...he bends over at the waist....just look at Perry's first sack against UVA...classic...
- maybe he will turn it around someday, but now--EASILY the worst LT in all D1P5...EASILY
The human turnstile

He's just not ready yet, doesn't have the functional strength or footwork necessary to be a starting P5 LT.

Barry needs to seriously consider moving Scaife to LT & giving Campbell another shot at RT.

I encourage anybody that hasn't already to go rewatch the UF & CMU games and only focus on Zion the whole time you watch, he is BAAAAAADDD, like super extra terrible. Not just in the sacks he gives up, but pay attention to how many missed assignments he has in blocks he supposed to pickup & how often he gets beat on run plays as well.

OP is not exaggerating, he's the WORST LT in D1 ball this season.

what's sad is, they're not doing the kid any favors in playing him. as my old coach used to say: "just playing is not the same as getting experience."

what they're doing with him kills careers.

probably the worst managed/coached OL since Zev Lumelski

Advertisement
You guys know exactly what's going on here. When a new coach comes in he wants to reward his cool-aid drinkers. The guys who never miss a lift session, are on time to all the meetings and practices, the kids who go to class, and don't **** hot. That becomes a real problem when those guys are not your best players, it's an even bigger problem when they are among your least effective players.

Do you really think they want NKosi as the starting QB? The best defender on the team was seeing 15-20 snaps per game. Zion has already got Jarren hurt, it's so bad this kid can be seen on tape blocking no one as defender sprint by him to the QB. This is sad. This staff is clueless.

Kool aid is a dangerous drug
We already have posters addicted to slurping it up
They so far gone they don’t see how this program is rotting away unless changes are made

Manny letting his assistants keep Zion out there after the UNC game lets me know that Manny is playing for the future, not the present. He must also think that this program is at least a three year build IF all the stars align, which they haven't.

Advertisement
Back