Now that some of the Portal news is out of the bag

Advertisement
We have had contact with Will Howard, Cam Ward and Dillon Gabriel. Dawson visited Howard last week in Kansas. Don’t think we will go after Rogers from Mississippi State.

If Michael Pratt enters the Portal or Taulia Tagavoila gets a 6th year/enters the Portal, I would expect us to have significant interest in both.
Of those listed, is this basically a race to who says “Yes” first?

Advertisement
I believe 2020 was basically Free/Redshirt year for everyone. I believe if he RS in 2019 he would have a 6th year. I need to search another 2019 QB.

Box Nix is out of eligibility and think he was '19 QB.
Everyone was granted an extra year of eligibility in 2020 regardless of redshirt, which is why Nix got to play a 5th year while playing in 4 or more games every year since his true freshman season

Taulia only played in 4 in 2020, meaning he has a 6th year of eligibility since he used his redshirt that season.

D’Eriq also used his shirt in 2019 and got a 6th year in 2021

Advertisement
We have had contact with Will Howard, Cam Ward and Dillon Gabriel. Dawson visited Howard last week in Kansas. Don’t think we will go after Rogers from Mississippi State.

If Michael Pratt enters the Portal or Taulia Tagavoila gets a 6th year/enters the Portal, I would expect us to have significant interest in both.
If we dont land Gabriel and it looks like Oregon is the front runner, give me Will Howard.

Cam Ward is talented but a turnover machine. We just saw what happens when you have a top ten team talent wise and a QB that turns the ball over like a mad man. Ward is more turnover prone that TVD.

Per @Stevo365
" Throughout his career, he is responsible for roughly 131 TDs 61 Turnovers **** near every 2 TDs he will have a TO. People gloss over that cause he's exciting. TVD had 13 total turnovers, ward had 21 "

Meanwhile Howard is a true dual- threat QB passed for 24 TDs and 9 rushing tDs and will give you dawson someone who FULLY utilizes the playbook. Dawson likes mobile QBs and Clayton Thune who was not half the QB that Howard is was able to pass for a crap ton of tds and use his legs to move the chains.

A QB like Howard sans the back breaking turnovers gives you a floor of 10 wins next year with a respectable chance at an 11/12 win season and a playoff spot secure.

Not only that, it allows you to allocate resources to bring in stud DTs/ safeties in the portal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back