Now that some of the Portal news is out of the bag

Advertisement
We have had contact with Will Howard, Cam Ward and Dillon Gabriel. Dawson visited Howard last week in Kansas. Don’t think we will go after Rogers from Mississippi State.

If Michael Pratt enters the Portal or Taulia Tagavoila gets a 6th year/enters the Portal, I would expect us to have significant interest in both.
Will we take another QB as backup? That room needs two players.

Some of you need to reshape your thinking. Don’t picture the qb and his stats at the current program. Look at the tools, the IQ, who is he throwing to and who is is current Oc.

Some really talented kids that don’t fit or just made bad choices…or just need a fresh start and some fine tuning.

Give ma few of these kids who are 22-23 years old and seen it all but with our weapons and OL.

Advertisement
We have had contact with Will Howard, Cam Ward and Dillon Gabriel. Dawson visited Howard last week in Kansas. Don’t think we will go after Rogers from Mississippi State.

If Michael Pratt enters the Portal or Taulia Tagavoila gets a 6th year/enters the Portal, I would expect us to have significant interest in both.

I was told that Taulia is good to go for another year and does not need a waiver.

23 wins in the last two years, great leader, can run, good enough arm talent for a Senior Bowl invite (pretty much guarantees getting drafted). He checks a lot of boxes.
That sounds more like a draft profile than a scouting take. Can he anticipate throwing windows? Can he read coverages? Can he make tight window throws? Can he extend the pocket? Does he get jittery under pressure? I hope those boxes get checked we don't have time to keep going assbackwards.

Advertisement
What would make Taulia eligible for a waiver? He played in 2019, played 4 games in 2020, played in 2021, 2022, and 2023. Seems like he would be out of eligibility.

The other thing is that the NCAA is very slow deciding on waivers and very unpredictable. What I'm saying is if we're waiting on him, then who's to say we don't wait too long, all the other QB's sign elsewhere, only to have his waiver denied and us scrambling at the last minute?

Gabriel rather spend his last year of college in Mississippi playing in the SEC, than be in Miami and play in the ACC?

Can you speak a little more to this? I’m not challenging you; honestly curious. I see quite a few dogging him on the boards but I’ve seen almost zero of his snaps.
Timing and anticipation is the name of his game. Both things we need with our passing concepts. That and when he’s protected he’s absolutely surgical. His problem at Maryland was that he never was but when he got time they were as explosive as any offense. Very good at RPO’s as well. Just love his fit

Advertisement
What would make Taulia eligible for a waiver? He played in 2019, played 4 games in 2020, played in 2021, 2022, and 2023. Seems like he would be out of eligibility.

The other thing is that the NCAA is very slow deciding on waivers and very unpredictable. What I'm saying is if we're waiting on him, then who's to say we don't wait too long, all the other QB's sign elsewhere, only to have his waiver denied and us scrambling at the last minute?

I was told he "regular" redshirted in 2020 and applied his COVID year to 2021, giving him 3 years that count against his 4, not necessitating a waiver.

Last edited:

I can't see them pursuing unless he actually enters the portal, which would be a fairly strong indication that he'll get a waiver to play

Advertisement
I was told he redshirted in 2020 and applied his COVID year to 2021, giving him 3 years that count against his 4, not necessitating a waiver.

Thanks, and I hope so. Doesn't make any sense to me, he started every game in 2021 so how does that count as a Covid redshirt? But I don't pretend to understand all the NCAA counter rules.

Yeah. I just meant pure skills wise
He and Ward are likely the best ‘playmakers.’ Should be a fascinating choice depending on who are real options vs who Mario prefers. To me, Pratt is likely a Mario guy. Howard looks like the classic technically sound Dawson preference. I doubt we’ll ever know the specifics BTS, but I’d love to hear the arguments for/against different QBs.

Advertisement
Back