Notre Lame in talks to join ACC as full member

Assuming this does happen, and the ACC goes to 16 teams, I'd argue adding the University of Cincinnati would be better than adding UConn.

Not sure how Louisville and Notre Dame would feel about that ... But if they aren't afraid of the competition, it could really lead to some great regional conference rivalries. UConn football is never going to be interesting, IMO.

And the conference alignments would be so simple!

ACC North
Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, UVA, VT, ND, Louisville, Cincinnati

ACC South
Miami, FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Duke, UNC, NCSU, WF

Go to 9 conference games in football, and the ACC would have the toughest schedule of any P5, IMO.

That would be the most imbalanced leagues in all of college football. You'd be putting FSU, Clemson, and Miami in the same league. Total non-starter.

Ya think? He created an ACC South that'd be tougher than the AFC South.

Or, maybe I created a division that would give Miami a shot to make the playoffs every year, even with a loss or 2 ...

Advertisement
What about Penn State? A significant portion of their alumni base has always grumbled about being in the Big 10. They don't think they're treated fairly and miss the eastern competition they used to have. If they had the opportunity to make the move with Notre Dame, it might be tempting.

Oh I can definitely see them putting them on our side, and putting UCONN in the Atlantic. Notre Dame vs Miami every year would be instant cash boom, and the ratings would be through the roof.

The real question is what are they going to do with that NBC Contract. It's through 2025, and that might be the deal breaker if NBC can't negotiate with the ACC

nbc would keep nd home games, period. 2 nd would in all likelihood have to share there nbc money with acc members in order to get equal payouts as all schools in acc do, or there could be a compromise where nbc keeps there nbc money but only gets partial acc money the deal to be made would be with acc and nd not with nbc who owns those rights through 2025 as u pointed out.

Don't get the UConn intrigue. Relatively small alumni base and small fanbase overall, a BB program that peaked years ago and is now on the decline, and a football program no one could give two ****s about. I'm not crazy about Cincy, but I think they're a little more solid overall than UConn is.

Agreed. I don't like elevating either of them to Power 5 (or possibly soon Power 4) level. Don't ask me who but I'd say you make a play on another current Power 5 school to come in with Notre Dame at that point. Again, I cannot stand singing the virtues of effing Notre Dame here but joining them in a power move would probably be a pretty decent enticement.

FWIW, the Notre Dame "independent for life!" media apologists are saying this talk is just Brando throwing his annual spaghetti against the wall on this topic. I personally want to believe there's smoke here though as I'm sick of these South Bend clowns trying to have the best of both worlds.

Assuming this does happen, and the ACC goes to 16 teams, I'd argue adding the University of Cincinnati would be better than adding UConn.

Not sure how Louisville and Notre Dame would feel about that ... But if they aren't afraid of the competition, it could really lead to some great regional conference rivalries. UConn football is never going to be interesting, IMO.

ACC North

ACC South

Go to 9 conference games in football, and the ACC would have the toughest schedule of any P5, IMO.

That would be the most imbalanced leagues in all of college football. You'd be putting FSU, Clemson, and Miami in the same league. Total non-starter.

Or, maybe I created a division that would give Miami a shot to make the playoffs every year, even with a loss or 2 ...

You're assuming a benefit of the doubt there reserved only for $EC schools. This also would be a complete disaster if we ever go to an 8 team Playoff with 5 conference winner auto bids.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That was a helluva commercial for UConn with the bait and switch of major ACC/ND rumor. Well done Huskies....

West Virginia?

For their highly esteemed academic reputation or their stronghold on the Appalachian media market?

Advertisement

ACC North

ACC South

You're assuming a benefit of the doubt there reserved only for $EC schools. This also would be a complete disaster if we ever go to an 8 team Playoff with 5 conference winner auto bids.

If Washington or Clemson had lost their conference game, I'm almost certain Michigan would have taken their place. And if both of them had lost, Penn State might have been the other team in last year. The only knock on that would have been having 3 teams from the same conference ...

Now, the bowl games proved the B1G wasn't that great. Which most of us probably already knew ... But before those games were played, plenty of talking heads were suggesting 3 of the top 4 or 5 programs in the country were from the same division.

As for the playoff expansion ... I just don't believe the 8-team playoffs is on the near horizon.

I think our current system is just a "Plus-1", and they're going to leave it as-is.

Going from 3 games to 7 games is a big expense to the budgets, especially with the NCAA now paying travel fees for family.

You also creep into further dismissal of "amateur" status by having colleges teams playing a 16-game season. (12 regular season, 1 conference title game, 3 playoff games).

thinking WVU would generate more TV dollars than UConn is foolish, imo. The NJ/NY/CT television market is a coveted one and it's why Jim Delaney made it a point to get Rutgers to join the Big 10 regardless of their schitty history (or lack thereof). It continues to pay dividends and it is sustainable regardless of their football performance on the field:

The Big Ten's new TV deal puts it into the lead

miami and fsu need to be in different divisions

this is what I would want

north:

Louisville, FSU, ND, UNC, WF, CINC, NCSU, Syracuse

South:

Clemson, Miami, Vag tech, PITT, Georgia tech, Duke, Boston College, UVA

Even brackets and a lot of big games. ACC would become the best conference

Advertisement

UConn is a big basketball school. The ACC is the best basketball conference. UConn is easily the best choice.

I get where you're going ... But the University of Cincinnati actually has the better men's basketball program, right now.

NCAA College Basketball Polls, College Basketball Rankings, NCAA Basketball Polls - ESPN

American Athletic Conference - 2016-17 Men's Basketball Standings

What about possibly trying to lure WVU from a failing big 12? It makes more sense for them geographically and they have solid bball and football programs.

UConn is a big basketball school. The ACC is the best basketball conference. UConn is easily the best choice.

I get where you're going ... But the University of Cincinnati actually has the better men's basketball program, right now.

NCAA College Basketball Polls, College Basketball Rankings, NCAA Basketball Polls - ESPN

What about possibly trying to lure WVU from a failing big 12? It makes more sense for them geographically and they have solid bball and football programs.

How about we kick out boston college and syracuse and add WVU and ND helps everyone. Syracuse can stay for basketball but their football team can kick rocks

How about we kick out boston college and syracuse and add WVU and ND helps everyone. Syracuse can stay for basketball but their football team can kick rocks

BC and Wake Forest* These 2 teams I'm sure provide NOTHING for the ACC.. *** in every sport except hockey(BC).. but keeping them around for hockey.. smh and WF ain't been sh*t since Chris Paul dipped.

WVU academics is what you'd expect from red neck, cousin marring country like WV. (To me we only got 49 states dem niqqa ain't part of the US to me)

Also, chances are it would be ND that goes to the Coastal to help strengthen it and UConn to the Atlantic. ND has more of a rivalry between Miami and Pitt.. then anyone in the Atlantic division.. Honestly, this might be fake news.. How are they going to keep their rivarly as the ACC will probably have to go to 9 conference games.. ND will keep USC.. who will they keep? Stanford, Michigan, or Navy (probably Navy and Stanford)

For the TV deal.. I would suspect that in 2019 when ESPN takes over that NBC would get all the home games and ESPN gets all the away games. ND would also make the ACC rich.. their fans aren't normal.. they worship ND.. the amount of eyes from them alone would generate great rating for TV.. THEN you add on to the fact their going to have to keep their eyes on Miami and VT for the coastal race.. something they never had to do before being IND for so long they never had to worry about other teams in their conference switch would force them to pay attention to other conference match ups.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I just want to play a team like Clemson more than once every 4 years in the same **** conference?? **** doesnt make any sense. FSU honestly has the hardest schedule out of every ACC team bc they have to play Clemson, Louisville, Miami, and Florida every year. we gotta play weak *** Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech every year. Those teams dont hold the same weight. And fck No on West Virginia and UCONN that will be a **** show to have to add any one of those 2 teams to our schedule yearly.

I remember some lawsuits from UConn when we were leaving the Big East. They made it very difficult for us. So I say NO to to Uconn if I had a vote.

Advertisement
Back