Notre Lame in talks to join ACC as full member

Advertisement
Cincinnati and UConn bring nothing but more mouths to feed. They water down the product and decrease the members' slice of the pie.

Pod 1:
Notre Dame
Louisville
BC
UConn

Pod 2:
Miami
Virginia Tech
Pitt
'Cuse

Pod 3:
Clemson
Virginia
UNC
Duke

Pod 4:
FSU
Georgia Tech
Wake
NC State

Teams would play the teams in their pod yearly, teams in another pod on a rotating basis, and have 1 'rival' matchup with a team from another pod, for example:
GT-Clemson
FSU-Miami
Virginia-VT
Notre Dame-Pitt
BC-Cuse
...and so on.

On years where you play the pod of your 'rival', you play another random team from another pod that also has a free game.

Pods are a "good idea" for playing certain teams more frequently, but they are a bad idea in every other regard, particularly in building a resume of good internal SOS.

First, imagine that Pod 1 is the strongest, and Pod 2 is the second strongest, and they play each other. Then Pod 3's strongest team beats up on the Pod 4 teams. Yet, at the end of the year, you still have 4 pod "champs", and you have to decide who goes to the ACC game. Clearly, the Pod 1 champ seems strongest, both by winning and stronger SOS, but then Pod 2 champ gets mad if Pod 3 champ goes to ACC-CG, because they had a stronger SOS. And then Pod 4 champ gets mad, because it isn't their fault how the games are scheduled.

Look, if the Final 4 has taught us nothing in the past few years, it shows that binary decisions are easier to justify. Let 2 teams win their divisions and then play each other. 2 divisions will more likely balance SOS than 4 pods will.

As a side note, a 16-team ACC will put pressure on the greedy ******** in the Big "Twelve" to make a football-QUALITY decision, rather than a money decision. The possibility of SEC/Big 10 expansion will put pressure on the Big "Twelve" to do something that adds long-term value (even if it is a short-term $$$ sacrifice) to the conference, so that they don't lose Texas and OU.

It is a joke that a 16-team ACC champ would be put on the same level as the champ of the Big "Twelve". We need these conferences to give us as many apples-to-apples comparisons as possible.

Advertisement
I agree with TOC. For discussion purposes, I added Texas (hey if we can get ND we can Texas). We would then have the following:

South:

Miami
FSU
Texas
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Virginia
UNC
Duke

North:

Notre Dame
Louisville
BC
Pitt
'Cuse
NC State
Wake
Clemson

I'm not saying ND joining the ACC is impossible but I will say that I'll believe it when I see it.

Advertisement
If Notre Dame joins, just know that Texas won't be that far behind. Outside of those 2 schools, West Virginia needs to be the next add. In order to bring West Virginia, we most definitely would have to kick Boston College out.

The concern of the ACC should be stacking its football product with schools that the SEC & Big Ten want.

The ACC missed its chance to own the east coast when they let Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers (NJ) waltz on over to the Big Ten. They best they could do now is give Delaney UConn & Boston College to complete the mission. Secondly, the ACC is lucky that Louisville is available because they totally crapped the bed taking in Pittsburgh and Syracuse in the conference before the Cards.

I say all that to say this, ***** basketball and go all in on football. Notre Dame, Texas, Penn State and West Virginia do just that!

Above all else, DON'T DILUTE THE BRAND! If the SEC wouldn't take them nor should we.

If Notre Dame joins, just know that Texas won't be that far behind. Outside of those 2 schools, West Virginia needs to be the next add. In order to bring West Virginia, we most definitely would have to kick Boston College out.

The concern of the ACC should be stacking its football product with schools that the SEC & Big Ten want.

The ACC missed its chance to own the east coast when they let Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers (NJ) waltz on over to the Big Ten. They best they could do now is give Delaney UConn & Boston College to complete the mission. Secondly, the ACC is lucky that Louisville is available because they totally crapped the bed taking in Pittsburgh and Syracuse in the conference before the Cards.

I say all that to say this, ***** basketball and go all in on football. Notre Dame, Texas, Penn State and West Virginia do just that!

Above all else, DON'T DILUTE THE BRAND! If the SEC wouldn't take them nor should we.
do you realize ND is considering ACC because of the northeast presence with bc, pitt and cuse. Nd wants a national schedule where they play the northeast, west and south.
West Va doesn't fit into the ACC standards.

Advertisement
Assuming this does happen, and the ACC goes to 16 teams, I'd argue adding the University of Cincinnati would be better than adding UConn.

Not sure how Louisville and Notre Dame would feel about that ... But if they aren't afraid of the competition, it could really lead to some great regional conference rivalries. UConn football is never going to be interesting, IMO.

And the conference alignments would be so simple!

ACC North
Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, UVA, VT, ND, Louisville, Cincinnati

ACC South
Miami, FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Duke, UNC, NCSU, WF

Go to 9 conference games in football, and the ACC would have the toughest schedule of any P5, IMO.

That would be the most imbalanced leagues in all of college football. You'd be putting FSU, Clemson, and Miami in the same league. Total non-starter.

He got fsu in the south yet they are more north

Assuming this does happen, and the ACC goes to 16 teams, I'd argue adding the University of Cincinnati would be better than adding UConn.

UConn is a big basketball school. The ACC is the best basketball conference. UConn is easily the best choice.

I get where you're going ... But the University of Cincinnati actually has the better men's basketball program, right now.

NCAA College Basketball Polls, College Basketball Rankings, NCAA Basketball Polls - ESPN

American Athletic Conference - 2016-17 Men's Basketball Standings

Oh we all know uconn women basketball is better than mens Cindy bball

UConn is a big basketball school. The ACC is the best basketball conference. UConn is easily the best choice.

I get where you're going ... But the University of Cincinnati actually has the better men's basketball program, right now.

NCAA College Basketball Polls, College Basketball Rankings, NCAA Basketball Polls - ESPN

Cincy*

Advertisement

Not sure how Louisville and Notre Dame would feel about that ... But if they aren't afraid of the competition, it could really lead to some great regional conference rivalries. UConn football is never going to be interesting, IMO.

And the conference alignments would be so simple!

ACC North
Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, UVA, VT, ND, Louisville, Cincinnati

ACC South
Miami, FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Duke, UNC, NCSU, WF

Go to 9 conference games in football, and the ACC would have the toughest schedule of any P5, IMO.

That would be the most imbalanced leagues in all of college football. You'd be putting FSU, Clemson, and Miami in the same league. Total non-starter.

He got fsu in the south yet they are more north

State wise, oh well this would never happen

Who cares about women basketball

Does anyone actively promoting Cincy in this thread actually live in Southwest Ohio or even Northern Kentucky? Cincy is NOT analogous to Miami. Cincy is the largest (barely) Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) of the Big 3 Ohio cities, but that MSA includes Kentucky and even Indiana, both places that have very little fan interest in a campus that is in a depressed area of a city they don't identify with...it's either O$Uck or UK by far!

Does anyone actively promoting Cincy in this thread actually live in Southwest Ohio or even Northern Kentucky? Cincy is NOT analogous to Miami. Cincy is the largest (barely) Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) of the Big 3 Ohio cities, but that MSA includes Kentucky and even Indiana, both places that have very little fan interest in a campus that is in a depressed area of a city they don't identify with...it's either O$Uck or UK by far!
Atleast cinn add to the footprint, large population, with a new recruiting territory. While ucnn and west va provides none of that

Advertisement
Back