Notre Dame Makes “Golden” Hire at DC

Norte **** is not a rival man.

Who care who al is coaching

Miami has its **** together finally

Kumbaya fellas
The thing is I dont expect Golden to suck at ND. I actually expect him to be good. Golden is many things but stupid is not one of them. He knows how bad he screwed up in Miami by tying hos future to a goober like Donofrio. Al has been in the NFL for the last 6 seasons, learning as much as possible knowing full well that he would get another opportunity at a P5 DC gig and knowing that if he succeeds at it, he could parlay that into another HC opportunity. I dont like Al Golden anymore that most here and I despise the Irish but I hardly think that Golden is stupid enough to think that he can run that same garbage scheme he ran 15 years ago at Virginia and what he had his goofy friend run at Temple and UM and actually succeed especially in this day and age of college football. No I dont think Al is stupid.

The man was humbled and even a bit humiliated by the way it ended with Dabo sodomizing him 58-0. He has been waiting and waiting for this type of opportunity and it has arrived. Golden has been absorbing all of the knowledge he could get his mitts on during his time in the NFL and he is going to put that to good use. Im not saying that his defense wont have a bend dont break element to it but I expect for him to completely revamp his defensive philosophy and reinvent himself. Look for Al to incorporate a lot of what he learned into what he knows and create a brand new defensive scheme in the process. I honestly think that Golden will be successful this time around. Second chances dont come often and I see Al making the most of it. It may take him a season to get the kinks out but I think he will be good.
I hate to agree with this because I hate Al Golden but I can’t lie, there might be some nuggets of truth to this

Advertisement
I'm sure these things have already been addressed but here is my 3 cents on Ol' Alfredo the person:

- By all accounts a decent family man
- Did some charitable things here without needing cameras there for it or any public praise
- Was well-liked by some* players that still defend him today
- Cradled Malcolm Lewis after his injury

- Has a questionable resume with other players being hurt and our training staff
- His excuse to responsibility accepted ratio here was about 10:1
- He lied about multiple things while here and on the way out
- He never really showed any actual gratitude toward the fans or for his time here and went instantly into p-r and then legal mode following his firing

Sooooo like many things in life (but not on social media or the interwebs) there is more nuance than to just label Golden a complete ****bag. I am finding it comical though seeing that pic of him and Lewis being posted repeatedly and people claiming that he was an "elite" recruiter or that he was lied to about the "cloud" and would've been successful here if he jusssst would've fired Dorito.

It's going to be Freeman's defense. Golden is there as a steady hand, and will use the shine of the DC position in South Bend to get a G5 head coaching job.

The fact that there's 14 pages of conversation about this guy is a bigtime *yawn*

Advertisement
I don’t think Marcus Freeman hired Al Golden to run Freeman’s defense. Why go out of the way to hire a 52 year old former DC/HC with no ties (pun not intended) just to do whatever you tell him? He could have just promoted a defensive assistant if that was the case. Manny hired Baker to be his lackey because Baker was an assistant under him previously and he ran the same defense. Al Golden is coming to run his scheme. Now, do I think Fat Albert is stupid enough to keep trotting out a 25 year old scheme that flopped the last time he tried it? Probably not. I would have to assume he’s tweaked his system to account for more modern offenses. Do I expect him to be a huge success? Absolutely not. The whole Notre Dame hiring process was a rushed mess after Chip Kelly ditched them and I would be surprised if any of them are still there in 3 years.

Freeman definitely hired Golden to run his defense. If he was going to allow someone to run their own defense he would have hired Jon Heacock, who was his top choice. Heacock turned it down because Freeman wants the DC to run his defense … So, it doesn’t change when they have to be replaced.

And Freeman might not be successful. But it has nothing to do with the process. That team was just outside of the playoff last season ... Why would you want to blow it up and start all over?

I'm sure these things have already been addressed but here is my 3 cents on Ol' Alfredo the person:

- By all accounts a decent family man
- Did some charitable things here without needing cameras there for it or any public praise
- Was well-liked by some* players that still defend him today
- Cradled Malcolm Lewis after his injury

- Has a questionable resume with other players being hurt and our training staff
- His excuse to responsibility accepted ratio here was about 10:1
- He lied about multiple things while here and on the way out
- He never really showed any actual gratitude toward the fans or for his time here and went instantly into p-r and then legal mode following his firing

Sooooo like many things in life (but not on social media or the interwebs) there is more nuance than to just label Golden a complete ****bag. I am finding it comical though seeing that pic of him and Lewis being posted repeatedly and people claiming that he was an "elite" recruiter or that he was lied to about the "cloud" and would've been successful here if he jusssst would've fired Dorito.

he had a good eye for diamonds in the rough. Probably because that is all he had to recruit at Temple.

Advertisement
The pillars of success will be in place very soon. They just need to watch out for the night games and they'll be fine...
The famous elixir of success in his "binder" travelled with him.
The addendum however is interesting regarding night games.
We would love to see that as sets up his D formations...for his "touchdown J..defense".......hmmmmmm

Can someone please post the D’Onofrio gif with his flipping through laminated sheets of plays. 🤣. I need it please. I need it bad!

It's going to be Freeman's defense. Golden is there as a steady hand, and will use the shine of the DC position in South Bend to get a G5 head coaching job.

The fact that there's 14 pages of conversation about this guy is a bigtime *yawn*
Agreed. Freeman being a DC last year is going to dictate the type of defense they run. I'm sure he'll be working with Golden on the details, but he's not going to just give someone else free reign to install what they want when defense is his specialty.

Choosing Golden over a more inexperienced, young DC was a smart move given how green is the ND staff, especially Freeman himself. Golden serves as both the DC and brings the experience perspective from both the college HC viewpoint and NFL position coach.

Advertisement
Wow. This one may be your dumbest post’s yet and that’s saying a lot.
Congratulations on receiving my first middle finger reaction lol. Norte don’t give a **** about Miami. Miami could give a **** about Norte dame. Unless we play them which happens every decade or so..we don’t even recruit the same kids. All That **** is nostalgia. Norte dame and Miami are not rivals. But as I said I get the history behind the matchup.

Advertisement
Congratulations on receiving my first middle finger reaction lol. Norte don’t give a **** about Miami. Miami could give a **** about Norte dame. Unless we play them which happens every decade or so..we don’t even recruit the same kids. All That **** is nostalgia. Norte dame and Miami are not rivals. But as I said I get the history behind the matchup.
Congratulations, you’re a moron. You clearly don’t truly understand the history. Miami/ND literally has a documentary that showcases the hatred between both programs but yeah…we aren’t rivals…🤡

Congratulations, you’re a moron. You clearly don’t truly understand the history. Miami/ND literally has a documentary that showcases the hatred between both programs but yeah…we aren’t rivals…🤡
Whatever man lol. It’s not that deep at all. It’s a historic matchup. Not a rivalry in my book I’ll see you at the next Miami vs ND game in 2055

How does his philosophy line up with Freeman? I thought Freeman was a man coverage guy.

Either the NFL changed Golden or Freeman is making a big mistake that will put him at odds with his own dc.

Advertisement
Back