Notre Dame Makes “Golden” Hire at DC

Congratulations on receiving my first middle finger reaction lol. Norte don’t give a **** about Miami. Miami could give a **** about Norte dame. Unless we play them which happens every decade or so..we don’t even recruit the same kids. All That **** is nostalgia. Norte dame and Miami are not rivals. But as I said I get the history behind the matchup.
As usual, you couldn't be more wrong. You obviously don't live in an area with many ND fans. NYC has a ton of of them and they are the most disrespectful fans of our program. That includes the Gaytes. They constantly refer to our players and fans as thugs. They make fun of our schools academic standing. They are pompous and delusional with the "we only recruit good catholic kids with good grades, where you guys will recruit any thug that can play". Plus they actively root for us to fail. Go to any ND bar on a Saturday and they will all be rooting against Miami, no matter what team they are playing.

Advertisement
As usual, you couldn't be more wrong. You obviously don't live in an area with many ND fans. NYC has a ton of of them and they are the most disrespectful fans of our program. That includes the Gaytes. They constantly refer to our players and fans as thugs. They make fun of our schools academic standing. They are pompous and delusional with the "we only recruit good catholic kids with good grades, where you guys will recruit any thug that can play". Plus they actively root for us to fail. Go to any ND bar on a Saturday and they will all be rooting against Miami, no matter what team they are playing.
U bringing up old **** from a time when YES UM vs ND was classic matchup. We all know that. At the height of that rivalry matchup titles were on the line especially in 80s..that’s what made it a rivalry back then. CFB rivals play on a regular basis OR at the very least battle on the trail ( unless your a delusional Auburn fan thinking everyone is a rivalry). Nobody cares if we finish behind or ahead of them in recruiting and we don’t play them on a regular. So HTF is it a rivalry today?? Yes whenever they are on the schedule it’s a big game it’s likely a OOC game and it has the nostalgia behind it. I get that

Fans say stupid **** about us from EVERY Fan base. You should heard how dismissive Bama fans were at that game and the **** they was talking. Why other fan bases feel a type of way is beyond Football..that’ goes for ND fans who share their ignorance with you.

Our rivals are UF and FSU..we recruit against them and when we play them it means more. That’s just fact

Congratulations, you’re a moron. You clearly don’t truly understand the history. Miami/ND literally has a documentary that showcases the hatred between both programs but yeah…we aren’t rivals…🤡
Gotta learn to let go of past OG. Do you also consider Nebraska a actual rival?

U bringing up old **** from a time when YES UM vs ND was classic matchup. We all know that. At the height of that rivalry matchup titles were on the line especially in 80s..that’s what made it a rivalry back then. CFB rivals play on a regular basis OR at the very least battle on the trail ( unless your a delusional Auburn fan thinking everyone is a rivalry). Nobody cares if we finish behind or ahead of them in recruiting and we don’t play them on a regular. So HTF is it a rivalry today?? Yes whenever they are on the schedule it’s a big game it’s likely a OOC game and it has the nostalgia behind it. I get that

Fans say stupid **** about us from EVERY Fan base. You should heard how dismissive Bama fans were at that game and the **** they was talking. Why other fan bases feel a type of way is beyond Football..that’ goes for ND fans who share their ignorance with you.

Our rivals are UF and FSU..we recruit against them and when we play them it means more. That’s just fact
I'm not bringing up old schit. I am talking about what happened this season. Ya, fans say stupid schit about all fanbases, but nothing compares to what Notre Dame fans say about us. You don't know because you don't know any ND fans. Recruiting against someone is not the only criteria for a rivalry. We play Notre Dame more often than we play UF, so your "playing them regularly" comment doesn't mean schit.

I'm not bringing up old schit. I am talking about what happened this season. Ya, fans say stupid schit about all fanbases, but nothing compares to what Notre Dame fans say about us. You don't know because you don't know any ND fans. Recruiting against someone is not the only criteria for a rivalry. We play Notre Dame more often than we play UF, so your "playing them regularly" comment doesn't mean schit.
I said play on a regular basis or AT THE VERY LEAST recruit against one another. Usually it’s both. Personally I don’t read ND message boards or Twitter or whatever to know what those guys talk about in 2021. But you do you man. If you u believe ND is more of or equal to the rivalry we have with Gainesville..

Advertisement
I said play on a regular basis or AT THE VERY LEAST recruit against one another. Usually it’s both. Personally I don’t read ND message boards or Twitter or whatever to know what those guys talk about in 2021. But you do you man. If you u believe ND is more of or equal to the rivalry we have with Gainesville..
We play ND on a regular basis in basketball. Ya, exactly, you don't read their twitter or know any of the fans. You are like some Cane fan living in Ontario talking about how "all the 2 UF fans I know are good guys and I wouldn't consider it a rivalry". You don't need to have an opinion on every topic. You should stick to ones you actually know about.

We play ND on a regular basis in basketball. Ya, exactly, you don't read their twitter or know any of the fans. You are like some Cane fan living in Ontario talking about how "all the 2 UF fans I know are good guys and I wouldn't consider it a rivalry". You don't need to have an opinion on every topic. You should stick to ones you actually know about.
😂 **** I live in Broward county. And the bolded makes sense.

Advertisement
The thing is I dont expect Golden to suck at ND. I actually expect him to be good. Golden is many things but stupid is not one of them. He knows how bad he screwed up in Miami by tying his future to a goober like Donofrio. Al has been in the NFL for the last 6 seasons, learning as much as possible knowing full well that he would get another opportunity at a P5 DC gig and knowing that if he succeeds at it, he could parlay that into another HC opportunity. I dont like Al Golden anymore that most here and I despise the Irish but I hardly think that Golden is stupid enough to think that he can run that same garbage scheme he ran 15 years ago at Virginia and what he had his goofy friend run at Temple and UM and actually succeed especially in this day and age of college football. No I dont think Al is stupid.

The man was humbled and even humiliated by the way it ended with Dabo sodomizing him 58-0. He has been waiting and waiting for this type of opportunity and it has arrived. Golden has been absorbing all of the knowledge he could get his mitts on during his time in the NFL and he is going to put that to good use. Im not saying that his defense wont have a bend dont break element to it but I expect for him to completely revamp his defensive philosophy and reinvent himself. Look for Al to incorporate a lot of what he learned into what he knows and create a brand new defensive scheme in the process. I honestly think that Golden will be successful this time around. Second chances dont come often and I see Al making the most of it. It may take him a season to get the kinks out but I think he will be good.
I have to disagree
He’s just a good salesman
And he’s been slowing working up the ladder
Most coaches when they fail don’t adapt they just work their way back to another job and fail again
Look at manny he fails the same way over and over again
They may change a few things but their overall style/philosophy is constant
There are the exceptions but I have a hard time believing he’s one of them

I have to disagree
He’s just a good salesman
And he’s been slowing working up the ladder
Most coaches when they fail don’t adapt they just work their way back to another job and fail again
Look at manny he fails the same way over and over again
They may change a few things but their overall style/philosophy is constant
There are the exceptions but I have a hard time believing he’s one of them
That is a valid point and I certainly have nothing invested in this either way. Just a gut feeling.

I'm sure these things have already been addressed but here is my 3 cents on Ol' Alfredo the person:

- By all accounts a decent family man
- Did some charitable things here without needing cameras there for it or any public praise
- Was well-liked by some* players that still defend him today
- Cradled Malcolm Lewis after his injury

- Has a questionable resume with other players being hurt and our training staff
- His excuse to responsibility accepted ratio here was about 10:1
- He lied about multiple things while here and on the way out
- He never really showed any actual gratitude toward the fans or for his time here and went instantly into p-r and then legal mode following his firing

Sooooo like many things in life (but not on social media or the interwebs) there is more nuance than to just label Golden a complete ****bag. I am finding it comical though seeing that pic of him and Lewis being posted repeatedly and people claiming that he was an "elite" recruiter or that he was lied to about the "cloud" and would've been successful here if he jusssst would've fired Dorito.

Let’s be honest, we’re talking about football coaches. They are people just like anybody else.

Mostly, your average person isn’t all good nor all bad. Some are real demons, some are saints, but most are mixed bag, but I think in general most, not all, but most people are mostly good. But no matter how bad the coach is, none of them are Hitlers or Stalins. Sure there were some bad actors. Especially in the south, where they just couldn’t get rid of their racist beliefs, like Bear Bryant who had to have his *** kicked by black players, to realize that he had to give in and play the guys he so steadfastly refused to let on his team before.

So it always kind of rubs me the wrong way when people that say they hate this coach or that player. It’s just not a reason to hate somebody. Hate the murderers, hate the racists, but don’t hate a coach because he lost when he shouldn’t have. It’s not normal.

I know people are using the term pejoratively, rather than actually hating, but it’s still not a good thing to see written.

Except for gators. It’s OK to hate them.

Advertisement
I don’t think Marcus Freeman hired Al Golden to run Freeman’s defense. Why go out of the way to hire a 52 year old former DC/HC with no ties (pun not intended) just to do whatever you tell him? He could have just promoted a defensive assistant if that was the case. Manny hired Baker to be his lackey because Baker was an assistant under him previously and he ran the same defense. Al Golden is coming to run his scheme. Now, do I think Fat Albert is stupid enough to keep trotting out a 25 year old scheme that flopped the last time he tried it? Probably not. I would have to assume he’s tweaked his system to account for more modern offenses. Do I expect him to be a huge success? Absolutely not. The whole Notre Dame hiring process was a rushed mess after Chip Kelly ditched them and I would be surprised if any of them are still there in 3 years.
Soooo…what makes you sure he will have tweaked his system? Common sense would tell you he had, but he ignored a bunch of common sense when he was at Miami. Basically, the only thing I know about him is he’s got a record of ignoring what was obvious to the rest of us.

Advertisement
Soooo…what makes you sure he will have tweaked his system? Common sense would tell you he had, but he ignored a bunch of common sense when he was at Miami. Basically, the only thing I know about him is he’s got a record of ignoring what was obvious to the rest of us.
I never said I was sure but it’s a strong possibility he’s made some changes. The guy hasn’t been in a bubble the last 7 years. Also, failure is a **** of a teacher. His defense worked at Virginia and then at Temple so he had no reason to change before Miami.

Not gonna lie I was hyped after his introduction. I don't hate they guy, I'd put him above Shannon and Manny but he was of course a major let down.

The amount of rationalization I am reading from ND fans on social media is astonishing. They are completely whitewashing Golden's stint at Miami. They are actually citing "the cloud" as the reason he wasn't more successful here.

Advertisement
Back