Notre Dame Makes “Golden” Hire at DC

How big was the binder to convince Notre Dame he should be their DC?

I'm guessing...three fiddy.
loch ness monster story GIF by South Park

Advertisement
The thing is I dont expect Golden to suck at ND. I actually expect him to be good. Golden is many things but stupid is not one of them. He knows how bad he screwed up in Miami by tying his future to a goober like Donofrio. Al has been in the NFL for the last 6 seasons, learning as much as possible knowing full well that he would get another opportunity at a P5 DC gig and knowing that if he succeeds at it, he could parlay that into another HC opportunity. I dont like Al Golden anymore that most here and I despise the Irish but I hardly think that Golden is stupid enough to think that he can run that same garbage scheme he ran 15 years ago at Virginia and what he had his goofy friend run at Temple and UM and actually succeed especially in this day and age of college football. No I dont think Al is stupid.

The man was humbled and even humiliated by the way it ended with Dabo sodomizing him 58-0. He has been waiting and waiting for this type of opportunity and it has arrived. Golden has been absorbing all of the knowledge he could get his mitts on during his time in the NFL and he is going to put that to good use. Im not saying that his defense wont have a bend dont break element to it but I expect for him to completely revamp his defensive philosophy and reinvent himself. Look for Al to incorporate a lot of what he learned into what he knows and create a brand new defensive scheme in the process. I honestly think that Golden will be successful this time around. Second chances dont come often and I see Al making the most of it. It may take him a season to get the kinks out but I think he will be good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Don't let those numbers fool you, Golden's D was swiss cheese, Gore had a field day vs UVA in 04':

BTW, UVA's D was even better under Mike London.

In 2006, London was named by Virginia coach Al Groh as the team's new DC to replace Al Golden. Virginia's defense under London was much more aggressive than it was under Golden. Allowing just 289.5 yards per game, the Virginia defense under London gave up fewer yards than any Virginia defense had in the past 27 years. London developed first year defensive end Jeffrey Fitzgerald, who by the end of the season had more tackles than any other freshman in the country.

The next year his defense was perhaps even better given the scope of the UVA football program. A highlight of this season was when Virginia was scheduled to play the Miami Hurricanes in the last game ever in the legendary Miami Orange Bowl. The Virginia defense, under the supervision of London, dominated the 'Canes and Virginia won, 48–0. It was Miami's worst loss at the Orange Bowl in their 70 years of playing there. The Cavaliers finished the season ranked 6th in the nation in sacks with 40, and allowed the 19th-fewest rushing yards (106.7 yds/game) and the 16th-fewest points against (19.7/game) on the way to a 9-win season and a narrow loss to Texas Tech and Heisman Trophy candidate Michael Crabtree in the Gator Bowl. At the end of the season, lineman Chris Long won the Ted Hendricks Award and was drafted 2nd overall in the 2008 NFL Draft.

I remember the 05 UM/UVA game at the Orange Bowl because I sat right by the Olsen family. Greg was playing for Miami and Chris was playing for Virginia. I met a a really young Kevin Olsen and asked him where he wanted to go to college and he told me “Miami”.

“Al Golden doesn’t have a massive ego, so he’ll be able to work well with Marcus. I think that’s a big key,” said longtime recruiting analyst Tom Lemming

Golden was 32-26 overall at Miami and 17-18 in the ACC.

“He’s a much better coach than that record showed,” Lemming said. “He inherited all kinds of NCAA sanctions at Miami, and the high school coaches in Miami-Dade County never warmed up to him. That was a tough combination to overcome.”
CA68CBCE-CE1A-4547-A714-ED9761D4BEEB.jpeg

Advertisement
I don’t think Marcus Freeman hired Al Golden to run Freeman’s defense. Why go out of the way to hire a 52 year old former DC/HC with no ties (pun not intended) just to do whatever you tell him? He could have just promoted a defensive assistant if that was the case. Manny hired Baker to be his lackey because Baker was an assistant under him previously and he ran the same defense. Al Golden is coming to run his scheme. Now, do I think Fat Albert is stupid enough to keep trotting out a 25 year old scheme that flopped the last time he tried it? Probably not. I would have to assume he’s tweaked his system to account for more modern offenses. Do I expect him to be a huge success? Absolutely not. The whole Notre Dame hiring process was a rushed mess after Chip Kelly ditched them and I would be surprised if any of them are still there in 3 years.

You know Golden and Mandy are really alike. They both refused to let go of dumb schemes and people that hurt the team way more than it helped. Time will tell if they have learned from their bad choices in their new DC roles.

I wish him well. I think he's a **** good coach, a good recruiter, and a good man. We all know if Manny was his DC (maybe anyone but NoD)he'd probably still be the head coach today and probably have an ACC ring.

I'm sure he's learned much since being here and will do well in South Bend. He has paid his dues several times over and there is no reason to hold a grudge against him. I wouldn't be surprised to find him a formidable HC in there next 5 years at a power 5 school.

Advertisement
I don’t think Marcus Freeman hired Al Golden to run Freeman’s defense. Why go out of the way to hire a 52 year old former DC/HC with no ties (pun not intended) just to do whatever you tell him? He could have just promoted a defensive assistant if that was the case. Manny hired Baker to be his lackey because Baker was an assistant under him previously and he ran the same defense. Al Golden is coming to run his scheme. Now, do I think Fat Albert is stupid enough to keep trotting out a 25 year old scheme that flopped the last time he tried it? Probably not. I would have to assume he’s tweaked his system to account for more modern offenses. Do I expect him to be a huge success? Absolutely not. The whole Notre Dame hiring process was a rushed mess after Chip Kelly ditched them and I would be surprised if any of them are still there in 3 years.

Disagree. Alf hasn’t coordinated/called plays in 15+ years. This is freeman’s team and freeman’s defense. Im sure freeman is giving Alf some latitude in coordinating/gameplanning but in general, don’t expect Alf to completely change the defense. What Alf provides is HC experience and experience in general from being in the pros. That would serve freeman well as he is new.

Can you imagine A scenario where ND struggles but their defense is decent and Alf Gluten becomes ND coach?

Disagree. Alf hasn’t coordinated/called plays in 15+ years. This is freeman’s team and freeman’s defense. Im sure freeman is giving Alf some latitude in coordinating/gameplanning but in general, don’t expect Alf to completely change the defense. What Alf provides is HC experience and experience in general from being in the pros. That would serve freeman well as he is new.

Can you imagine A scenario where ND struggles but their defense is decent and Alf Gluten becomes ND coach?
Would be beyond hilarious. I think the best we could ever hope for is Alfredo as an interim though. Those clowns (even as collectively delusionally self-assured as they are as an institution) wouldn't promote from within again with the next hire. Could absolutely see him getting considered to replace Franklin at Pedo State down the line if by some longshot he actually does excel at Notre Dame.

Advertisement
Back