Norchad Omier

Advertisement
giphy.gif

LFG!!!!!!!!!

This is a HUGE HUGE pickup for us!

We just got an ELITE rebounder & top tier post player, with a good 12-15ft jumper & is a very good Defender.

Adding Omier & Pack make us a top 3 team in the ACC next season, especially with Duke losing Coach K, they’ll still have the talent they always have but I’m not buying Jon Scheyer is the guy to continue on the longstanding legacy of Duke, no way will he be as successful as Coach K was, especially not it year 1.

The matchup between him & Bacot when we play UNC will be great to watch, I think Omier gives us way more offensive flexibility with Pick & roll & then having Pack be the top tier 3pt shooter he is that will make us very difficult to defend. Because if teams decide to switch out on the P&R Omier is feasting from inside the Paint & Pack on the perimeter is knocking down anything from long range.

If we can get optimum production from Miller, Beverly & Joseph with Wong coming back we could definitely make a Final 4 run, as long as we keep everyone healthy this is gearing up to be a special season.

Omier reminds me of a young Carlos Boozer. Maybe just a smidge below on skill/talent than Boozer but still think he’ll have a chance at the league if he continues to develop. He’s an old school PF who doesn’t veer far from the paint. Strong hands allows him to catch and grab everything he touches. Does a lot of his work with his back to the basket but I think he’ll need to develop a face up game 15-16 feet out if he’s going to give himself a chance to have a long NBA career.

On a side note, it’s crazy to hear but Omier was signed, sealed and practically delivered to a mid major school prior to hitting the portal. Obviously, that fell through the minute the P5’s came calling

Last edited:
Advertisement
Obi has more range...reminds me more of an athletic tyler hansborough...likes to bang down low...a lot of different moves around the rim...doesn't seem to go more that 10 feet away from the rim...I like it.
In the OP, my comp for him was Jaylen Hoard.

I think @Da Jumbo Mutombo compared him to Kenneth Faried, I liked that comp as well.

I really like @King of Allapattah Carlos Boozer’s comp as well, they have very similar style games from his Duke days.

Is it an issue in pro sports where some guys are making $20M and some are making $300k?

I think you are missing a couple of points. One, it is making it known to other transfers and recruits that Miami is a place they should be looking at. Two, it is very clearly being blessed by Rad/Mario/L as part of a larger decision and marketing strategy. Three, a lot of him being "loud" is part of marketing the company, which is actually what this is supposed to be to make it legitimate in the eyes of the law.

I do agree with you here, I just think it could be done without citing specific numbers.

Advertisement
Counter point is the numbers are what are making it a story. If you leave it vague people may think it’s because it is a run of the mill deal and nothing of note.

People know that Amazon and Google and Tesla execs get paid well, even if you don't know everyone's specific salary.

You can show kids [names redacted] contracts without putting the actual numbers on Twitter.

Again, just my 2 cents. I just think we are overstating the level that public disclosure of specific dollar amounts is required to build awareness and knowledge.

Recruits know what is happening.

I don't know what Wong might be on tap to receive (assuming he returns) for his NIL but ... as a 3 year UM "star" player, he couldn't be happy if it's a pittance compared to what newcomer Pack is receiving.

People know that Amazon and Google and Tesla execs get paid well, even if you don't know everyone's specific salary.

You can show kids [names redacted] contracts without putting the actual numbers on Twitter.

Again, just my 2 cents. I just think we are overstating the level that public disclosure of specific dollar amounts is required to build awareness and knowledge.

For sure there would be a word of mouth element but this is blasting it out. EVERYONE is going to know. If you leave it to a game or telephone there may be some who don’t get the telegram.

Advertisement
If he develops even a little bit of a sound jumper over the summer, dude is a league talent. Him and Pack alone on any team is an infusion of two all conference type players. Bring back Miller who does it all, add in year 2 Bensley/Wooga/Jakai, add in the strong freshmen class with a true lob threat center again and AJ Casey who is a next level athlete, and bring back some experience with Walker and Beverly(Who may surprise everyone), and we have a legit team. Wong coming back would also be a great help, but if he does not the guard depth is still very deep. Not sure about remaining spots but another rotation big would be the last thing I might add to the team.

Advertisement

One thought. He seemed to have only released the amounts for the basketball transfer commits. Wonder if that is deliberate since we don’t have that cache or history.

Just wondering, what changed in one year.
How come Miami didn't recruit him out of HS?
Since Miami didn't offer him a scholarship out of HS means the staff didn't think he could play in the ACC.
A year at a mid major school with some very impressive numbers and awards now means he can play in the ACC.
Seems like someone has an issue evaluating talent.

Just wondering, what changed in one year.
How come Miami didn't recruit him out of HS?
Since Miami didn't offer him a scholarship out of HS means the staff didn't think he could play in the ACC.
A year at a mid major school with some very impressive numbers and awards now means he can play in the ACC.
Seems like someone has an issue evaluating talent.
He played two year at Arkansas State. His recruiting year Miami enrolled two kids around his size. Matt Cross and Earl TImberlake. Turns out they should've taken Omier but taking two top 100 kids wasn't a problem at the time. Every coach in America including Arkansas State's would've done the same.

Advertisement
Back