Norchad Omier

Just wondering, what changed in one year.
How come Miami didn't recruit him out of HS?
Since Miami didn't offer him a scholarship out of HS means the staff didn't think he could play in the ACC.
A year at a mid major school with some very impressive numbers and awards now means he can play in the ACC.
Seems like someone has an issue evaluating talent.
He was at Arky State for two years, FYI.

He was also a kid that was very raw coming out of HS(He started playing the game late), a kid that honestly didn't have any major college offers. He was a 2 star talent. There's a reason why he ended up at Arky State, and it was because he was a high risk, high reward take. He developed faster than anyone would have predicted and thanks to the transfer portal is now able to come and play at the major college level. Coaches aren't taking fliers on guys anymore, because they don't have to. Why take a flier on a guy, when you can just get him once you know that he can play at the collegiate level?

Advertisement
Wish I’d seen this earlier. I could have spent that monstrosity of a baseball game dreaming of Final Fours to come.

Is it an issue in pro sports where some guys are making $20M and some are making $300k?

I think you are missing a couple of points. One, it is making it known to other transfers and recruits that Miami is a place they should be looking at. Two, it is very clearly being blessed by Rad/Mario/L as part of a larger decision and marketing strategy. Three, a lot of him being "loud" is part of marketing the company, which is actually what this is supposed to be to make it legitimate in the eyes of the law.
Yea i understand all of that and its hard to argue. I guess i'm wondering where all this goes. First, count me in as a guy who loves that players get paid - its about time. And I like that its in the open and now some powers can't take advantage of it while we are scrutinized for lap dances. But espeically the players getting money part.

But was listening to Lebatard and he was saying that "experts" think that this will keep growing and growing till schools basically separate the major sports from the schools as "Companys" and the kids don't go to class or anything. Its basically minor leagues. And that would kinda ruin the part that is the connection to the college sports that i think we all still love. Again - not wishing for the old days where all the administrators make all the money, just saying its weird to think how this all looks in a while and what it'll mean to what we've all enjoyed for a long time.

Having said that, glad we are kicking *** with this new process.

He was at Arky State for two years, FYI.

He was also a kid that was very raw coming out of HS(He started playing the game late), a kid that honestly didn't have any major college offers. He was a 2 star talent. There's a reason why he ended up at Arky State, and it was because he was a high risk, high reward take. He developed faster than anyone would have predicted and thanks to the transfer portal is now able to come and play at the major college level. Coaches aren't taking fliers on guys anymore, because they don't have to. Why take a flier on a guy, when you can just get him once you know that he can play at the collegiate level?
precisely but shame on us for not taking a flyer on a kid who basically never picked up a basketball until like his junior year in HS and comes from that hot bed of hoops talent in Nicaragua!

Yea i understand all of that and its hard to argue. I guess i'm wondering where all this goes. First, count me in as a guy who loves that players get paid - its about time. And I like that its in the open and now some powers can't take advantage of it while we are scrutinized for lap dances. But espeically the players getting money part.

But was listening to Lebatard and he was saying that "experts" think that this will keep growing and growing till schools basically separate the major sports from the schools as "Companys" and the kids don't go to class or anything. Its basically minor leagues. And that would kinda ruin the part that is the connection to the college sports that i think we all still love. Again - not wishing for the old days where all the administrators make all the money, just saying its weird to think how this all looks in a while and what it'll mean to what we've all enjoyed for a long time.

Having said that, glad we are kicking *** with this new process.
I disagree with Lebatard to an extent.

The kids actually benefit from going to college now that NIL exists. The kids are making this enormous NIL money because they are "students" at school X. If the players and sports completely disassociate from the school, the NIL money will dry up. For example, I love the G-league as an option for kids who want to play pro basketball right out of high school but they will not make anywhere near the money that NIL is creating because you still need fans to shell out the NIL contracts. And the people paying the NIL money are fans of schools, not specific players. They are effectively cheering for the jersey and willing to pay the people wearing the jersey..

So now, maybe more than ever, it is in the best interest of the player to be connected to a school. But certainly the traditional system of conferences and NCAA is coming to an end. But who knows how it will look in a few years.

Advertisement
I disagree with Lebatard to an extent.

The kids actually benefit from going to college now that NIL exists. The kids are making this enormous NIL money because they are "students" at school X. If the players and sports completely disassociate from the school, the NIL money will dry up. For example, I love the G-league as an option for kids who want to play pro basketball right out of high school but they will not make anywhere near the money that NIL is creating because you still need fans to shell out the NIL contracts. And the people paying the NIL money are fans of schools, not specific players. They are effectively cheering for the jersey and willing to pay the people wearing the jersey..

So now, maybe more than ever, it is in the best interest of the player to be connected to a school. But certainly the traditional system of conferences and NCAA is coming to an end. But who knows how it will look in a few years.
Good points on all of this. ITs hard to see where this goes as right now its just all over the place.

Advertisement

Most colleges recognize that this has to be addressed in some form or college athletics just becomes short for the minor leagues and worse, some schools will be forced to give up certain sports because they won't be able to remain competitive if it just comes down to who can spend the most. Even the NFL and NBA have a salary cap and draft to keep things competitive. This new NIL thing has none.

Problem, its out of the NCAA's hands now. They had over 25 years to address this issue and did nothing. Now they stand powerless to control a monster that they set loose. I can see the conferences getting together and rethinking their commitment to the NCAA and even discussing a different governing body all together.

Nice pick up, lets see how he does in the ACC.
Looks undersized and think bigger teams might give him trouble.
He'll have a chance to prove scouts his size won't be a problem at the next level.
Reminds me of Anthony Mason.

“Family & friends support his decision to join the Miami Hurricanes with the hope that with this step he can emerge in the NBA”

Interesting region of Nicaragua...more of a Carribbean Spanish in interview (vs central American accent)...no surprise given the history of region and its history with Carribbean...best of luck to young man.

Interesting region of Nicaragua...more of a Carribbean Spanish in interview (vs central American accent)...no surprise given the history of region and its history with Carribbean...best of luck to young man.
My fiancé is Nicaraguan & she’s actually from Bluefields too, which is where Norchad is from.

There’s a lot of Afro-Nicaraguans, Creoles & Miskitu Indio that live along the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua.

My mother is Cimarrones so Caribbean Spanish is what I learned growing up, that’s how I knew what they were saying in the video lol.

Advertisement
Nice pick up, lets see how he does in the ACC.
Looks undersized and think bigger teams might give him trouble.
He'll have a chance to prove scouts his size won't be a problem at the next level.
Reminds me of Anthony Mason.
Think he'll do just fine. IMO, twice as good as Murphy, the undersized PF we took as a xsfer a few years back.

Advertisement
Does anybody know what we’re going to do at the 3? Running it back with 3 guards? Pack, wong and who?
That will be Jordan Miller whether you want to call him a three or a third guard. He is 6'-7".

I think the bigger question is who else plays besides Omier in the front court. It seems like it will be Anthony Walker unless a Freshman really steps up. I don't love it.

That will be Jordan Miller whether you want to call him a three or a third guard. He is 6'-7".

I think the bigger question is who else plays besides Omier in the front court. It seems like it will be Anthony Walker unless a Freshman really steps up. I don't love it.
Me either and I factored in miller but I really liked him at the 4. He’s capable of the 3 guard spot but I’ll need to see more polish out of his offensive game at a wing spot

Advertisement
Back