6’7 230 Red FR that averaged:
- 17.9ppg
- 12.2 Rebounds
- 2.0 Blocks
- 1.6 steals
- 1.2 assists

Shooting 63.2% from the floor, 33% from 3 & 72.9% from the Free Throw line

His best games:

- 35 points 13 rebounds 2stls 1blk & 1ast, shooting 61% from the floor & 9-12 from FT line vs ULM

- 31 points 11 rebounds 1blk & 1ast, shooting 75% from the floor & 7-9 from the FT line vs Troy

- 29 points 17 rebounds & 3blk, shooting 78.6% from the floor & 7-8 from the FT line vs ULL

Also had 12 games with 20 or more points.

He’s an efficient scorer, Forward Post player that can step out & knock down a Mid-range jumper when necessary, plays with good athleticism attacking the basket & is an exceptional rebounder & Defender. He was 4th in the Nation in Rebounds & was a good shot blocker as well. Has a smooth game & can play above the rim at times, but is mostly a controlled scorer with very good IQ & a force multiplier given his defensive acumen on the floor. Is also very good running the court in transition.

He kinds reminds me of a Jaylen Hoard type, not as much NBA upside, but in terms of play style as a Hybrid Forward.

Given his history as a Miami prep player & the NIL opportunities from Ruiz, I think it’s safe to say he’s ours & IMO would be as big of a Portal add as Charlie Moore was for us. He’s also the first Nicaraguan born player to play D1 Basketball, culturally Miami is the perfect fit for him.

Omier, J.Miller & Wong is real nice 3 for next year, hopefully Joseph continues to develop & we add a PG from the Portal. Also gotta get something out of Walker, Poplar & the rest.

Last edited:
Advertisement

- 17.9ppg
- 12.2 Rebounds
- 2.0 Blocks
- 1.6 steals
- 1.2 assists

His best games:

- 35 points 13 rebounds 2stls 1blk & 1ast, shooting 61% from the floor & 9-12 from FT line vs ULM

- 31 points 11 rebounds 1blk & 1ast, shooting 75% from the floor & 7-9 from the FT line vs Troy

- 29 points 17 rebounds & 3blk, shooting 78.6% from the floor & 7-8 from the FT line vs ULL

Has looked had 12 games with 20 or more points.

He’s an efficient scorer, Forward Post player that can step out & knock down a Mid-range jumper when necessary, plays with good athleticism attacking the basket & is an exception rebounder & Defender. He was 4th in the Nation in Rebounds & was a good shot blocker as well. Has a smooth game & can play above the rim at times, but is mostly a controlled scorer with very good IQ & a force multiplier given his defensive acumen on the floor. Is also very good running the court in transition.

He kinds reminds me of a Jaylen Hoard type, not as much NBA upside, but in terms of play style as a Hybrid Forward.

Given his history as a Miami prep player & the NIL opportunities from Ruiz, I think it’s safe to say he’s ours & IMO would be as big of a Portal add as Charlie Moore was for us. He’s also the first Nicaraguan born player to play D1 Basketball, culturally Miami is the perfect fit for him.

Omier, McGusty, J.Miller & Wong is real nice 4 for next year, hopefully Joseph continues to develop & we add a PG from the Portal. Also gotta get something out of Walker, Poplar & the rest.

Great write up. One edit though, you meant Wong, not McGusty (he’s used up his eligibility).

Advertisement

- 17.9ppg
- 12.2 Rebounds
- 2.0 Blocks
- 1.6 steals
- 1.2 assists

His best games:

Has looked had 12 games with 20 or more points.

He’s an efficient scorer, Forward Post player that can step out & knock down a Mid-range jumper when necessary, plays with good athleticism attacking the basket & is an exception rebounder & Defender. He was 4th in the Nation in Rebounds & was a good shot blocker as well. Has a smooth game & can play above the rim at times, but is mostly a controlled scorer with very good IQ & a force multiplier given his defensive acumen on the floor. Is also very good running the court in transition.

Omier, J.Miller & Wong is real nice 3 for next year, hopefully Joseph continues to develop & we add a PG from the Portal. Also gotta get something out of Walker, Poplar & the rest.

I watch the highlights and like his game reminds of the old school power forwards who got a good post up game and plays inside.not like the new big man that they be shooting a bunch of 3 pointers

I watch the highlights and like his game reminds of the old school power forwards who got a good post up game and plays inside.not like the new big man that they be shooting a bunch of 3 pointers
Precisely, he has great touch playing inside the paint & even has a nice fade-away jumper from 12-15ft out.

If you pair him with a good ball distributing PG, he can legit be a 18-21pt per game player...

On top of giving you 12-14 rebounds a game & 1.6-2.0 blocks.

Advertisement
IF Miami is going to land Omier, I hope Larranaga and staff have done their due diligence and reached out to Pilin Alvarez. Omier ain't going anywhere without Pilin's blessing.
I actually know Ark St. coach Mike Balado very well. I’ve known Mike since I was 15. I’m not sure if Omier leaving is an indictment on Balado or not. Mike and I don’t speak of those kinds of things when we talk. It is concerning that he left after such a great sophomore campaign. Mike is doing OK at Arkansas state. Not much of a winning tradition or administrative support to speak of but he’s increase their win total every year he’s been there.

I actually know Ark St. coach Mike Balado very well. I’ve known Mike since I was 15. I’m not sure if Omier leaving is an indictment on Balado or not. Mike and I don’t speak of those kinds of things when we talk. It is concerning that he left after such a great sophomore campaign. Mike is doing OK at Arkansas state. Not much of a winning tradition or administrative support to speak of but he’s increase their win total every year he’s been there.
I don’t think it’s concerning at all that’s he’s leaving. Plenty of kids, including himself, want a shot at playing in one of the power conferences after not being recruited that way out of high school.

Advertisement
Great write-up.

Do you think he can handle the ACC workload of being the lone big?
Yes I do, because of the style of Offense we run...

We don’t really have a post heavy style offense to begin with, we allow our Guards & swing men on the perimeter to initiate the offense & create plays off the dribble for themselves, we’re a Guard first Offense, which means Bigs like him eat off the Pick & Roll & the penetrate & dish game.

If he was going to UNC then yeah it might be a lot for him because they run everything through their big men first.

But at Miami, he’ll be a guy that can legitimately shoot 65-68% from the floor because he’ll mostly get high % shots in the paint just off Guard play alone & High ball screens while driving to the basket.

Advertisement
Yes I do, because of the style of Offense we run...

We don’t really have a post heavy style offense to begin with, we allow our Guards & swing men on the perimeter to initiate the offense & create plays off the dribble for themselves, we’re a Guard first Offense, which means Bigs like him eat off the Pick & Roll & the penetrate & dish game.

If he was going to UNC then yeah it might be a lot for him because they run everything through their big men first.

But at Miami, he’ll be a guy that can legitimately shoot 65-68% from the floor because he’ll mostly get high % shots in the paint just off Guard play alone & High ball screens while driving to the basket.
Going to have to tinker the offense a bit i would imagine.

This guy doesn't shoot 3s, Sam had that range. So not sure he could do exactly what Sam could do offensively running that style. This guy seems to be an animal down low tho.

Going to have to tinker the offense a bit i would imagine.

This guy doesn't shoot 3s, Sam had that range. So not sure he could do exactly what Sam could do offensively running that style. This guy seems to be an animal down low tho.
You don’t need him to play Sam’s game, he gives us an inside Post presence which gives us more versatility in Pick & Roll. And the fact he’s not a slow stiff Big man, but can actually move & is always looking to Dunk the ball means we can use him in many different ways.

Sam IMHO was really a waste, he was a weak tall kid who was an inconsistent & an overvalued 3 point shooter that couldn’t rebound to save his life & was an ineffective Defender, he was tall for no reason. That might be harsh to say, but that’s my honest opinion on him, don’t hate the kid or anything like that, but he really wasn’t much of an impact player for us aside from the occasional 3pt shot here & there.

He had one good game against UNC early in the season & had a good game vs Clemson, but other than that the majority of his career he could barely manage to score more than 10 points & he only had 5 games in his entire time at Miami with 10 or more rebounds, that’s it in 4 years just 5 games total with 10+ rebounds.

I’ll take an offense with a Big like Omier who will have a legit impact on both sides of the floor on Offense & Defense that can step out against perimeter Guards or switch off against Pick & rolls while still being able to Defend over a kid who’s just used for spacing on the offensive side fo the floor & has zero net gain on Defense.

Whatever we miss from Sam’s 3’s we’ll make up for it with an efficient scorer in the post that can actually rebound.

And why his rebounding is so important is because it gives us opportunities at second chance points on offense.

You don’t need him to play Sam’s game, he gives us an inside Post presence which gives us more versatility in Pick & Roll. And the fact he’s not a slow stiff Big man, but can actually move & is always looking to Dunk the ball means we can use him in many different ways.

Sam IMHO was really a waste, he was a weak tall kid who was an inconsistent & an overvalued 3 point shooter that couldn’t rebound to save his life & was an ineffective Defender, he was tall for no reason. That might be harsh to say, but that’s my honest opinion on him, don’t hate the kid or anything like that, but he really wasn’t much of an impact player for us aside from the occasional 3pt shot here & there.

He had one good game against UNC early in the season & had a good game vs Clemson, but other than that the majority of his career he could barely manage to score more than 10 points & he only had 5 games in his entire time at Miami with 10 or more rebounds, that’s it in 4 years just 5 games total with 10+ rebounds.

I’ll take an offense with a Big like Omier who will have a legit impact on both sides of the floor on Offense & Defense that can step out against perimeter Guards or switch off against Pick & rolls while still being able to Defend over a kid who’s just used for spacing on the offensive side fo the floor & has zero net gain on Defense.

Whatever we miss from Sam’s 3’s we’ll make up for it with an efficient scorer in the post that can actually rebound.

And why his rebounding is so important is because it gives us opportunities at second chance points on offense.
I wasn't really comparing their talent levels at all, Omier is clearly the better player.

I was commenting on the effect their style is going to have on the offense. With Sam it was 5 outside, and Sam did a lot of ball handling up top while setting screens.

I dont think the offense will look like that anymore bc I dont think Omier's game is built like that (maybe they put Miller in that role)

It will look different like you said, more pick and roll.

Advertisement
Back