Norchad Omier

You don’t need him to play Sam’s game, he gives us an inside Post presence which gives us more versatility in Pick & Roll. And the fact he’s not a slow stiff Big man, but can actually move & is always looking to Dunk the ball means we can use him in many different ways.

Sam IMHO was really a waste, he was a weak tall kid who was an inconsistent & an overvalued 3 point shooter that couldn’t rebound to save his life & was an ineffective Defender, he was tall for no reason. That might be harsh to say, but that’s my honest opinion on him, don’t hate the kid or anything like that, but he really wasn’t much of an impact player for us aside from the occasional 3pt shot here & there.

He had one good game against UNC early in the season & had a good game vs Clemson, but other than that the majority of his career he could barely manage to score more than 10 points & he only had 5 games in his entire time at Miami with 10 or more rebounds, that’s it in 4 years just 5 games total with 10+ rebounds.

I’ll take an offense with a Big like Omier who will have a legit impact on both sides of the floor on Offense & Defense that can step out against perimeter Guards or switch off against Pick & rolls while still being able to Defend over a kid who’s just used for spacing on the offensive side fo the floor & has zero net gain on Defense.

Whatever we miss from Sam’s 3’s we’ll make up for it with an efficient scorer in the post that can actually rebound.

And why his rebounding is so important is because it gives us opportunities at second chance points on offense.
Add talent and figure out the rest later is always 100% the way to go

Advertisement
You don’t need him to play Sam’s game, he gives us an inside Post presence which gives us more versatility in Pick & Roll. And the fact he’s not a slow stiff Big man, but can actually move & is always looking to Dunk the ball means we can use him in many different ways.

Sam IMHO was really a waste, he was a weak tall kid who was an inconsistent & an overvalued 3 point shooter that couldn’t rebound to save his life & was an ineffective Defender, he was tall for no reason. That might be harsh to say, but that’s my honest opinion on him, don’t hate the kid or anything like that, but he really wasn’t much of an impact player for us aside from the occasional 3pt shot here & there.

He had one good game against UNC early in the season & had a good game vs Clemson, but other than that the majority of his career he could barely manage to score more than 10 points & he only had 5 games in his entire time at Miami with 10 or more rebounds, that’s it in 4 years just 5 games total with 10+ rebounds.

I’ll take an offense with a Big like Omier who will have a legit impact on both sides of the floor on Offense & Defense that can step out against perimeter Guards or switch off against Pick & rolls while still being able to Defend over a kid who’s just used for spacing on the offensive side fo the floor & has zero net gain on Defense.

Whatever we miss from Sam’s 3’s we’ll make up for it with an efficient scorer in the post that can actually rebound.

And why his rebounding is so important is because it gives us opportunities at second chance points on offense.

Sam was an incredibly valuable and efficient player for us this past season.

He made other teams sit their bigs because they couldn't match up and was the best 3pt shooter on the team. The 5-out offense doesn't work without a player like Sam.

Calling him a waste is ridiculous

Sam was an incredibly valuable and efficient player for us this past season.

He made other teams sit their bigs because they couldn't match up and was the best 3pt shooter on the team. The 5-out offense doesn't work without a player like Sam.

Calling him a waste is ridiculous
He had one 20 point game the entire season & not one 10 rebound game the entire year.

To me, for a Big man that’s not very good. Yes he helped with spacing for the offense & could knock down a 3, but IMO he really wasn’t that impactful in other facets of the game & as a Big man being a solid 3 point shooter isn’t as valuable as being a dominant rebounder & overall defender. And he didn’t really shoot a lot of 3’s to begin with, but if all he was supposed to do was shoot 3’s then I guess he did his job somewhat.

But that’s just my opinion, I didn’t think he was all that great here, apologies if that’s upsetting.

He had one 20 point game the entire season & not one 10 rebound game the entire year.

To me, for a Big man that’s not very good. Yes he helped with spacing for the offense & could knock down a 3, but IMO he really wasn’t that impactful in other facets of the game & as a Big man being a solid 3 point shooter isn’t as valuable as being a dominant rebounder & overall defender. And he didn’t really shoot a lot of 3’s to begin with, but if all he was supposed to do was shoot 3’s then I guess he did his job somewhat.

But that’s just my opinion, I didn’t think he was all that great here, apologies if that’s upsetting.

Sam not being a traditional big was essential to this team's success. With a regular 5 this would have been a NIT team.

Mark Williams, Armando Bacot, Walker Kessler, etc - all had to sit because they couldn't keep up with Sam on the perimeter. Could he have shot more, sure. But his 3 pt % made teams have to stay with him on the PnR, which created space for Moore.

Advertisement

Sam was a pretty good shot blocker. For what its worth Sam was not what people hoped for a long time, but did contribute this season when he was able to be the 5th guy. Block shots, gets some rebounds and score 10-12 per game. Sam did not look good on a worse team but became a nice complimentary piece for one year on a pretty good team. The team’s success certainly made Sam look better than he probably was. But on the other hand we needed his production, albeit somewhat limited.
So glass half empty=Sam never became a good enough player or shooter for what was expected of him
Glass half full=Sam was a contributor this past season for a good teams and will be remembered more for this season than all the rest.

Sam not being a traditional big was essential to this team's success. With a regular 5 this would have been a NIT team.

Mark Williams, Armando Bacot, Walker Kessler, etc - all had to sit because they couldn't keep up with Sam on the perimeter
. Could he have shot more, sure. But his 3 pt % made teams have to stay with him on the PnR, which created space for Moore.

Keep up with him doing what exactly?. He played well against UNC. But............

He was good for spacing i agree....and for a strange reason my man got some timely blocks throughout.

We don't finish 4th in the ACC or make a run without him. He was very important in the 5 out and scramble defense. His defense and shot blocking was very good. To put in perspective we were minus 3 when Sam was on the floor against KU.

Can we replace him? Sure, but Jim said with Sam it was like having a coach on the floor.

He had the best offensive rating on the team (i.e. the team scored the most points per possession while he was on the court). He had a great year and was a critical piece on an elite 8 team.

Advertisement

I think thers an in between great and not at all good. He was very good at passing from the high post and he did help space out the bigs on the other team to help our guards get to the rim. Those things have alot of value. And as the year went on he got better protecting the rim. But he can't be thought of as a traditional big man cause he just isn't that.

It's probably not saying much, but for Sam it was a good season considering how his first 5 seasons here went. Not a great year if you were expecting him to average a double-double. Unfortunately, bar for him was set pretty low coming into this season.

Mark Williams, Armando Bacot, Walker Kessler, etc - all had to sit because they couldn't keep up with Sam on the perimeter. Could he have shot more, sure. But his 3 pt % made teams have to stay with him on the PnR, which created space for Moore.
Sam may not have average more the 10 points a game, but it look like every game he would get 5-7 assists, ( on back door cuts). Was really a smart player.

Advertisement
Sam may not have average more the 10 points a game, but it look like every game he would get 5-7 assists, ( on back door cuts). Was really a smart player.
His utility was a Swiss Army knife for this team. He is easy to go after him because he was the only guy in the lineup taller than 6'7" and does not play like a traditional 4. Without him in the lineup how many games are we winning down the stretch? Not many.

His utility was a Swiss Army knife for this team. He is easy to go after him because he was the only guy in the lineup taller than 6'7" and does not play like a traditional 4. Without him in the lineup how many games are we winning down the stretch? Not many.
Agree, even the announcers were constantly bringing his name up during the NCAA run

Advertisement
Been saying an Omier-less version of this for the last few weeks.

PG, scoring forward, Wong, we good.
Given what Larranaga did this year, I woudn't put it past him. But the freshman of this past year will need to take a major major leap. And we would need contribution from this year's freshmen. Cause that is a razor thin lineup as of now. Lots of talent, just all of it unproven.

If you are a basketball junkie, you appreciated what Sam did for this team. Dude was a **** good passer for a big man, could stretch the floor with his range and developed into a solid driver of the basketball when people ran out at him on the perimeter. He wasn't a traditional big, he NEVER was a traditional big. He played out of position his entire career and still continued to give you everything he had. This year, he finally got some opportunity to do what he does best and did pretty well. For a guy that wasn't an imposing interior presence, he was a man in regards to defending the rim. Wiry as all ****, but he knows how to meet guys at the rim.

If you are a basketball junkie, you appreciated what Sam did for this team. Dude was a **** good passer for a big man, could stretch the floor with his range and developed into a solid driver of the basketball when people ran out at him on the perimeter. He wasn't a traditional big, he NEVER was a traditional big. He played out of position his entire career and still continued to give you everything he had. This year, he finally got some opportunity to do what he does best and did pretty well. For a guy that wasn't an imposing interior presence, he was a man in regards to defending the rim. Wiry as all ****, but he knows how to meet guys at the rim.
Agreed. I just wish he was a better rebounder. That was by far the biggest deficiency in his game, and it hurt us big time at times this season.

Advertisement
Back