Nobody seems to want to mention [Mario's 2 losses to Utah... again]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
OP, I do not and did not follow the rosters and matchups of either team, but even presuming Oregon was better than Utah (which is questionable given how bad Oregon's QB was), it's still unfair to judge Mario with those 2 games out of the 48 he coached there. I mean, if you want to make a big deal out of 2 games, then let's say since he beat OSU at OSU he's the next Saban. It doesn't work that way.

And quite simply, in his 3 full seasons there, he won 9, 12, and 10 games. I think nearly every Cane fan the last 2 decades would likely kill for that stretch.
I understand, I’m not judging him off those games, I’m not judging him off the great W against OSU either, but luck happens once not twice, I just wanted to know what some of you thought about it. I think when it’s all said and done Mario will win a chip at Miami

In football sometimes a team just matches up well against you. You may be the more talented team overall but if the other teams biggest strength is your biggest weakness, sometimes it just works out that way. Same in every sport, matchups matter. I try not to hold coaches losses at previous stops define them, except for Manuela, F*CK Manuela.
I believe we are going to find out this is the case. Mario didn't have this good a staff at Oregon.

Advertisement
I understand, I’m not judging him off those games, I’m not judging him off the great W against OSU either, but luck happens once not twice, I just wanted to know what some of you thought about it. I think when it’s all said and done Mario will win a chip at Miami
This is likely the wrong place to get a legitimate answer. I doubt there is anyone here that can intelligently speak to the roster of Oregon and Utah, matchups, etc. You're assuming Utah is not as good as Oregon and I'm not sure that's accurate in the first place. But, again, I don't follow either team so what do I know.

This is likely the wrong place to get a legitimate answer. I doubt there is anyone here that can intelligently speak to the roster of Oregon and Utah, matchups, etc. You're assuming Utah is not as good as Oregon and I'm not sure that's accurate in the first place. But, again, I don't follow either team so what do I know.
Well going by recruiting for the past 3/4 years Oregon had more talent

Advertisement
But, I’ll go ahead and be the bad guy. I believe Mario will succeed at Miami, he kinda gives me Butch Davis vibes actually. But no one wants to discuss those 2 terrible losses to Utah, I heard people make up excuses saying oh he was on the way out, I call bs. Not saying that’s who he is but what about those bad losses, what’s you guys take on those?
He gives you Butch vibes. But Butch has E. Carolina, didn’t he? He got destroyed by Syracuse. He also cost us a title appearance by losing to Wa. I’d say Mario is no worse than Butch in any respect.

I didn’t watch the first game at all and paid passing attention to the 2nd Oregon v Utah game because of Mario, but I would provide 2 explanations.
1. One match-up. This is true in all sports regardless of talent. Watch the next 3 weeks of college basketball and you‘ll see the importance of matchups. Styles matter.
2. The QB position. Mario had a **** poor QB so their offense had to be perfect despite his bad play to have success. Asking for perfection to mitigate a bad QB rarely works over 12 games. See UM with Kirby Freeman, Perry, Jarren Williams.

Advertisement
I’m going to say.. i think Mario realizes who he is/has been as a HC.

Which is why he’s put the staff he’s put together, with the experiences they have.

Also, he’s basically a non stop elite player chaser.. Because he knows he needs a great staff and players for his short comings as a HC.

Just my opinion.

I didn’t watch the first game at all and paid passing attenthon ot the 2nd Oregon v Utah game because of Mario, but I would provide 2 explanations.
1. One match-up. This is true in all sports regardless of talent. Watch the next 3 weeks of college basketball and you‘ll see the importance of matchups. Styles matter.
2. The QB position. Mario had a **** poor QB so their offense had to be perfect despite his bad play to have success. Asking for perfection to mitigate a bad QB rarely works over 12 games. See UM with Kirby Freeman, Perry, Jarren Williams.
Ok I can respect that

But, I’ll go ahead and be the bad guy. I believe Mario will succeed at Miami, he kinda gives me Butch Davis vibes actually. But no one wants to discuss those 2 terrible losses to Utah, I heard people make up excuses saying oh he was on the way out, I call bs. Not saying that’s who he is but what about those bad losses, what’s you guys take on those?

Yeah, NOBODY talked about those two losses to Utah when Mario’s name was mentioned. 🙄

Jimmy Johnson never beat Oklahoma or Nebraska in five years at Oklahoma State, but beat the pants off both of them once at Miami.

Utah was a tough out this year and had the better team. So what? Mario crushed them 37-15 for a PAC-12 title two years prior, won a Rose Bowl over Wisconsin and finished in the Top 5.

Also went on the road in 2021 and beat Ohio State in Columbus. Not gonna talk about that, but we’ll bring up Utah. Got it. Gotta love one-sided, stacked, slanted debates….

New ballgame for the man at Miami.

Advertisement
troll 1986 GIF by absurdnoise

How about this OP; Most every Cane fan over the past 17 years would have taken those two losses if they came with the two PAC 12 Titles.

Or, find me one who wouldn't.

Butch Davis set us up for a National title.. I'll take it

The 2nd game was a lost cause because the Oregon writer that thought he was going to blow up Mario to Miami screwed his own program. The 2nd article released before the game about Mario to Miami was learned by the whole team. If they looked like they didn't want to be there like the announcers said, it was because they didn't. Halftime supposedly got ugly with words between players and Mario. Kayvon Thibodeaux called him a fraud and Mario cut back with something about money. Those two are good now. Can this 2 game stretch rest now. Maybe they would have lost it anyway. I don't care. He is here putting in the work and this is going to happen once we get rid of all the dead weight and recruit a couple classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back