Next year's DE Rotation

Blades had a really nice spring , playing nickel and safety.
Yeah I loved seeing his name pop up. It kinda felt like football was taking a backseat for him last year and other players we’ve seen don’t really ever turn it back around

But I’m happy to be wrong about him because there’s no doubt he’s got talent. Plus he’s a Blades

Advertisement
I saw this on the recruiting board:

I'll wrap this one up with Gators transfer defensive end
Khris Bogle
. He visited Michigan State and loved it but could also visit Alabama and Miami soon as well. Alabama was the choice out of high school before a last moment change of mind and the hire of Mario Cristobal has many interested in the Hurricanes now. But confidence is high in East Lansing after a great season and the way Mel Tucker recruits the portal.

So I went into our roster to do a deep dive on our projected 2022 DE rotation.

I accidentally hit my head on the cement bottom. Holy ****.

We have Chantz, Harvey, Roberts (tweener right now; thought he'd grow into a 3T), Thomas Davis (is he big enough yet?), and Ishmael (who some say may not play here). Even if we pick up Kelly (best player I've seen on film this year), Stewart (I think he may grow into a 3T, but clearly have been wrong before), and another HS recruit, do we need two portal DEs (with one as a starter)?

In MC I trust..
Update on this thread.

Tip of the cap to MC and the entire recruiting/transfer staff. What a great job. Whatever happens this season and going forward, we more than turned around a terrifying DE/DL rotation. In about 6 months. Truly impressive work. When I wrote the above thread, clearly I was in "holy ****" mode looking at our prospective depth. Apparently, the coaching staff was as well and they've turned a weakness into a probable strength.

Cheers.

Advertisement
Update on this thread.

Tip of the cap to MC and the entire recruiting/transfer staff. What a great job. Whatever happens this season and going forward, we more than turned around a terrifying DE/DL rotation. In about 6 months. Truly impressive work. When I wrote the above thread, clearly I was in "holy ****" mode looking at our prospective depth. Apparently, the coaching staff was as well and they've turned a weakness into a probable strength.

Cheers.

Good stuff

Update on this thread.

Cheers.
j1.gif

Update on this thread.

Cheers.
We have guys that fit that SSDE mold, but do we have a true EDGE guy that can get after the QB?

I saw the Agude film, and I don't think that is his game.

I think it is Kelly's game, but idk if he is ready yet.

We have several guys that are ends, but they slide inside on passing downs. But then who is outside on those passing downs? It is a concern of mine.

We have guys that fit that SSDE mold, but do we have a true EDGE guy that can get after the QB?

We have several guys that are ends, but they slide inside on passing downs. But then who is outside on those passing downs? It is a concern of mine.
I think Agude can give us enough of it and Harvey can give the remainder. Kelly isn’t a necessity now and that’s all I hoped for earlier in this thread.

I also think Mesidor sliding inside is understated. We’ll loop. We’ll run games. Steele will force matchups.

We might not have that prototype EDGE (unless Harvey made a leap or Kelly really can’t be held back), but we now have enough to get the job done. At least, against the ACC opponents I’m focused on, anyway.

Advertisement

I've shared this same concern. Mesidor is the most proven pass rusher we have and I'm not sure he stays on the edge on passing downs. Very interested to see who steps into this role or does Steele rely on blitzing.

I think Agude can give us enough of it and Harvey can give the remainder. Kelly isn’t a necessity now and that’s all I hoped for earlier in this thread.

I also think Mesidor sliding inside is understated. We’ll loop. We’ll run games. Steele will force matchups.

We might not have that prototype EDGE (unless Harvey made a leap or Kelly really can’t be held back), but we now have enough to get the job done. At least, against the ACC opponents I’m focused on, anyway.
I've shared this same concern. Mesidor is the most proven pass rusher we have and I'm not sure he stays on the edge on passing downs. Very interested to see who steps into this role or does Steele rely on blitzing.
Blitzes and interior pressure is what it feels like. And that can work, especially with the interior DL depth.

However, the lack of an edge guy is very similar to the lack of a No 1 WR… those are the positions where the best athletes dominate you in 2022. At both positions, we are playing with one hand tied behind our back.

I’m always willing to change my stance once I see live bullets, so I hope Agude and Harvey prove me wrong. But if not, I would love to see Kelly get some burn early on. Will Anderson started as a freshman at Bama, and I’m willing to bet their depth was a little better than ours. Kelly is the dude we are missing.

Blitzes and interior pressure is what it feels like. And that can work, especially with the interior DL depth.

However, the lack of an edge guy is very similar to the lack of a No 1 WR… those are the positions where the best athletes dominate you in 2022. At both positions, we are playing with one hand tied behind our back.

I’m always willing to change my stance once I see live bullets, so I hope Agude and Harvey prove me wrong. But if not, I would love to see Kelly get some burn early on. Will Anderson started as a freshman at Bama, and I’m willing to bet their depth was a little better than ours. Kelly is the dude we are missing.
Top 3 positions in 2022 football QB, WR, DE.

I’m guessing Kelly will get about 10-15 snaps each of the first couple games. If he shows out, he’d likely get the same or a bit less @TAMU. If he outplays Harvey or just plain flashes what we all think he is by October, then I can see things getting interesting during ACC play. Regardless, I think we’ll see a heavy rotation. I hope any of them pop. Don’t care which player. Agude can likely play both sides, so that helps Steele remain flexible. But, Agude has plainly stated he is playing Wide-9 lately.

Advertisement
I’m guessing Kelly will get about 10-15 snaps each of the first couple games. If he shows out, he’d likely get the same or a bit less @TAMU. If he outplays Harvey or just plain flashes what we all think he is by October, then I can see things getting interesting during ACC play. Regardless, I think we’ll see a heavy rotation. I hope any of them pop. Don’t care which player. Agude can likely play both sides, so that helps Steele remain flexible. But, Agude has plainly stated he is playing Wide-9 lately.
Yea Agude said he is playing backside and mentioned in some packages (im guessing 3rd down) both him and Harvey would be on field (rabbit package I think he called it)..

Yea Agude said he is playing backside and mentioned in some packages (im guessing 3rd down) both him and Harvey would be on field (rabbit package I think he called it)..
I mentioned in another thread that *3rd and long package* could look like:

DE Agude/Chantz
DT Taylor/JHH
DT Mesidor/Moultrie
DE Harvey/Kelly

Can also get creative:

DE Agude
DT Mesidor
DT Roberts
DE Thomas Davis

*May sound like a joke, but our best pass rusher may be #0 James Williams being sent from unusual launch points.*

Lots and lots of options. We have a professional staff. They’ll figure it out.

Advertisement

I keep seeing people talking about not having a no 1 receiver. But I have to ask, who is Bama s no 1 receiver this year? Who was Georgias no 1 last year. It looked like that TE was the go to and No 1 option in the passing game last year. Just saying.

Advertisement
Back