Next year's DE Rotation

Advertisement
it will take 2-3 solid years of recruiting to have a semblance of a decent 2 deep football team.
The last two recruiting classes were pretty solid with very little attrition. Definitely some holes, but that can be addressed by the portal now. Shouldn't take 3 years to turn the roster around.

We've taken 4 portal edge players in the last 3 years, why would this year be any different?

An edge rusher out of the portal is an absolute must.
I previously thought we needed one. The basis of the thread is whether we need a starter and another.

I previously thought we needed one. The basis of the thread is whether we need a starter and another.

Sorry, as Forrest Gump famously said, "I'm not a smart man".

I missed that part of your question.

My answer is, probably not, but it depends on the quality of the portal kid. Are we getting Phillips/Roche, or are we getting Hill/Johnson? If it's a locked in starter and impact player, we can probably get by with just that.

Advertisement
The starter would be the big land. Bogle could be seen like another recruit. We need a couple freshman at least, Kelly being one of them.

Have you done a deep dive into our defensive depth chart projections? I had a general idea in mind and had jokingly mentioned "needing to find a defense" in the portal. It's not a joke. We are incredibly thin...everywhere. Except Safety. Ironically, with the addition of 1 dude and the progression of Chase Smith, LB somehow who looks viable to me all of a sudden. Scary stuff.
I have, this year more than any other year we might need nearly 4-5 portal adds on defense alone.

I’ve just been waiting on who Mario hires as DC because that will determine which direction the roster will go in & the shape it will take, but as it stands now, we need IMO at the very least 1 big time DE, 1-2 LB’s (although I think with the emergence of Chase Smith & the potential upside of TAC) I think one solid consistent LB to pair with the young guys can work. And at CB, we have to sacrifice a few goats & chickens to hope that Stevenson comes back for one more year & then go get another dynamic corner out the Portal as well. We could also use a DT too if Nesta & Jon Ford are both leaving.

We’re in dire straights at CB, that’s really the least talented unit on the Defense, I grade that group entirely different than I do the others for obvious reasons, but IMO we don’t have any starters except for Stevenson, the rest are all situational Dime package Corners. Luckily CB is a position where a TF can come in & start right away & play well, so hopefully Mario & TRob hit the trail hard from now til February to find us at least 2 more legit CB’s.

LB has been a really awful for us as well, but with youngsters like Chase Smith, TAC, Keontra Smith, add on a solid portal guy & we might have something with that group. I think LB group will be better just off a new DC & new scheme potentially that actually understands what to do with the LB’s, a lot of our LB issues in the Diaz era came from his heavy reliance on double A blitzes & his refusal to put speed on the field.

Sorry, as Forrest Gump famously said, "I'm not a smart man".

I missed that part of your question.

My answer is, probably not, but it depends on the quality of the portal kid. Are we getting Phillips/Roche, or are we getting Hill/Johnson? If it's a locked in starter and impact player, we can probably get by with just that.
Ha.

I guess if they project Kelly as an instant rotational guy, perhaps not. I despise the idea of counting on true Frosh for your team to be adequate, but I realize times have changed.

I guess we'll see what else becomes available in the portal. I skimmed and don't currently see Phillips/Roche status, but I may have missed.

I saw this on the recruiting board:

I'll wrap this one up with Gators transfer defensive end
Khris Bogle
. He visited Michigan State and loved it but could also visit Alabama and Miami soon as well. Alabama was the choice out of high school before a last moment change of mind and the hire of Mario Cristobal has many interested in the Hurricanes now. But confidence is high in East Lansing after a great season and the way Mel Tucker recruits the portal.

So I went into our roster to do a deep dive on our projected 2022 DE rotation.

I accidentally hit my head on the cement bottom. Holy ****.

We have Chantz, Harvey, Roberts (tweener right now; thought he'd grow into a 3T), Thomas Davis (is he big enough yet?), and Ishmael (who some say may not play here). Even if we pick up Kelly (best player I've seen on film this year), Stewart (I think he may grow into a 3T, but clearly have been wrong before), and another HS recruit, do we need two portal DEs (with one as a starter)?

In MC I trust..

I think 1-2 DEs, for sure. 12/33 are not terribly effective, imo, and we need some juice coming off the edge. I'm not sure if Bogle is that guy but I'd take him.

As for LB, definitely need at least 1. CB - for sure we need 1-2 for depth.

Advertisement
I have, this year more than any other year we might need nearly 4-5 portal adds on defense alone.

I’ve just been waiting on who Mario hires as DC because that will determine which direction the roster will go in & the shape it will take, but as it stands now, we need IMO at the very least 1 big time DE, 1-2 LB’s (although I think with the emergence of Chase Smith & the potential upside of TAC) I think one solid consistent LB to pair with the young guys can work. And at CB, we have to sacrifice a few goats & chickens to hope that Stevenson comes back for one more year & then go get another dynamic corner out the Portal as well. We could also use a DT too if Nesta & Jon Ford are both leaving.

We’re in dire straights at CB, that’s really the least talented unit on the Defense, I grade that group entirely different than I do the others for obvious reasons, but IMO we don’t have any starters except for Stevenson, the rest are all situational Dime package Corners. Luckily CB is a position where a TF can come in & start right away & play well, so hopefully Mario & TRob hit the trail hard from now til February to find us at least 2 more legit CB’s.

LB has been a really awful for us as well, but with youngsters like Chase Smith, TAC, Keontra Smith, add on a solid portal guy & we might have something with that group. I think LB group will be better just off a new DC & new scheme potentially that actually understands what to do with the LB’s, a lot of our LB issues in the Diaz era came from his heavy reliance on double A blitzes & his refusal to put speed on the field.
Need to get singletary on the line

Out of the 2022 class, do you see any CBs that look like potential freshman starters?

I'll add how much deeper our defense will NEED to be.

I suspect we will tackle in practice more. I suspect we will train for physicality.

Anyone who's ever put on a helmet at any level knows **** happens when you're tackling.

This is an excellent point. We are going to have many more injuries because we're actually going to hit hard and tackle to the ground in practice. Guys are 100% going to get injured more often. That's the price you pay for ACC CG level defenses.

Personally, I think that we need 2 DEs, 1 MLB, 2 CBs. And I would not turn down a killer DT either. So that's 5-6 guys just on the defense. We need a #1 WR and at least 1 probably 2 OL. 7-9 portal kids. Not Michigan State. But a transformational number of transfers.

This is why I started the counter thread. Because it's a massive issue. Do we have room for 7+ portal kids. Because if not, we're not going to be playing for the ACCCG next year, much less winning it and getting to the playoffs.

Advertisement
We are just going to have to beat teams 60-50 scorelines every game.

I have sadly come to this conclusion for 2022.

Advertisement

If you add a LB and then consider guys like Steed and TAC as 2-deep, like I said, I think it's viable in comparison to DE (without a new starter + depth guys) and CB (I'd be pleasantly surprised if Stevenson returns).

Agree on some of the issues with LBs (and Safeties) being caused by scheme. Listen, it's hard to hit a baseball while blindfolded. When you do some of the stuff we did in our front, there will naturally be a lot of swing and misses. Guys like Jaquan who clean up everything in front of them shouldn't be necessary for a defense to work.

Advertisement
Back