Next year's DE Rotation

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
I saw this on the recruiting board:

I'll wrap this one up with Gators transfer defensive end
Khris Bogle
. He visited Michigan State and loved it but could also visit Alabama and Miami soon as well. Alabama was the choice out of high school before a last moment change of mind and the hire of Mario Cristobal has many interested in the Hurricanes now. But confidence is high in East Lansing after a great season and the way Mel Tucker recruits the portal.

So I went into our roster to do a deep dive on our projected 2022 DE rotation.

I accidentally hit my head on the cement bottom. Holy ****.

We have Chantz, Harvey, Roberts (tweener right now; thought he'd grow into a 3T), Thomas Davis (is he big enough yet?), and Ishmael (who some say may not play here). Even if we pick up Kelly (best player I've seen on film this year), Stewart (I think he may grow into a 3T, but clearly have been wrong before), and another HS recruit, do we need two portal DEs (with one as a starter)?

In MC I trust..

Advertisement
I saw this on the recruiting board:

I'll wrap this one up with Gators transfer defensive end
Khris Bogle
. He visited Michigan State and loved it but could also visit Alabama and Miami soon as well. Alabama was the choice out of high school before a last moment change of mind and the hire of Mario Cristobal has many interested in the Hurricanes now. But confidence is high in East Lansing after a great season and the way Mel Tucker recruits the portal.

So I went into our roster to do a deep dive on our projected 2022 DE rotation.

I accidentally hit my head on the cement bottom. Holy ****.

We have Chantz, Harvey, Roberts (tweener right now; thought he'd grow into a 3T), Thomas Davis (is he big enough yet?), and Ishmael (who some say may not play here). Even if we pick up Kelly (best player I've seen on film this year), Stewart (I think he may grow into a 3T, but clearly have been wrong before), and another HS recruit, do we need two portal DEs (with one as a starter)?

In MC I trust..
I would take bogel if they swing and miss on shemar

Advertisement
Advertisement
#BringBackScottPatchan

All jokes aside, we ABSOLUTELY have to hit the Portal hard for a pass rusher.

DE, CB & LB are the biggest needs on the team in terms of instant impact plug & play Portal guys.
Have you done a deep dive into our defensive depth chart projections? I had a general idea in mind and had jokingly mentioned "needing to find a defense" in the portal. It's not a joke. We are incredibly thin...everywhere. Except Safety. Ironically, with the addition of 1 dude and the progression of Chase Smith, LB somehow who looks comparatively viable to me all of a sudden. Scary stuff.

Advertisement
We definitely need an impact pass rusher from the portal. It's not even a question. I think you take another guy that potentially has 2 years left as well. Like you said Ishmael may not end up seeing the field much, hard to project. Major holes on DL. It terrified me going into this season, and it's making me more terrified reading this now.

Advertisement
I'll add how much deeper our defense will NEED to be.

I suspect we will tackle in practice more. I suspect we will train for physicality.

Anyone who's ever put on a helmet at any level knows **** happens when you're tackling.
Yep. We need some vets that have trained in college weight rooms.

Advertisement
Back