New Weight Room

Yeah I think there is a minimum required level of strength and the law of diminishing returns kicks in. And like you said, leverage and technique matter a ton for hitting high numbers. Again subject to have certain minimizing standards. Point being a OL with 500 pound bench isn’t better than a 450 pound or 400 pound guy because of his bench.

I read this guys article maybe 5 years ago on elitefts and his high school program was pretty much what I’d have said I did in my late 20s and 30s.

As I get older 1) I realize for HS this training works for seniors and maybe juniors, but how many people can even squat right at heavy load or even need west side speed work day when they are still piling on gains doing basic 5x5 programs? 2) it develops power but what about power in the transversal plane? (A question I’d never ask until I got old and wondered why my hips and shoulders were tight!). The older I get the more I like sleds and explosive med ball throws in addition to heavy iron.

Anyway, if I was trying to build raw strength and power for an athlete rather than a power lifter, I’d milk a 5x5 to build up the pathways and then flip to conjugate on main lifts but I’m not sure I’d go 1-3 rep range frequently and I’d try to push for increases in the 5 rep range as the 1 rep “training max” probably isn’t worth the risk of injury / beating on joints. It’s all interesting stuff.

Rocky vs Drago . . . which work out you doing? Rocky IV reference;) and I surely hope the Russian's name is Drago;)

Advertisement
Yeah I think there is a minimum required level of strength and the law of diminishing returns kicks in. And like you said, leverage and technique matter a ton for hitting high numbers. Again subject to have certain minimizing standards. Point being a OL with 500 pound bench isn’t better than a 450 pound or 400 pound guy because of his bench.

I read this guys article maybe 5 years ago on elitefts and his high school program was pretty much what I’d have said I did in my late 20s and 30s.

As I get older 1) I realize for HS this training works for seniors and maybe juniors, but how many people can even squat right at heavy load or even need west side speed work day when they are still piling on gains doing basic 5x5 programs? 2) it develops power but what about power in the transversal plane? (A question I’d never ask until I got old and wondered why my hips and shoulders were tight!). The older I get the more I like sleds and explosive med ball throws in addition to heavy iron.

Anyway, if I was trying to build raw strength and power for an athlete rather than a power lifter, I’d milk a 5x5 to build up the pathways and then flip to conjugate on main lifts but I’m not sure I’d go 1-3 rep range frequently and I’d try to push for increases in the 5 rep range as the 1 rep “training max” probably isn’t worth the risk of injury / beating on joints. It’s all interesting stuff.
Sadly he passed away recently but not sure if you’re familiar with John Meadows. Pro bodybuilder and elite coach etc but he was also a youth football coach

He had some amazing insights on weightlifting for football players

Anyway he was a mentor to me and a great friend. Lost him way too ******* soon

Sadly he passed away recently but not sure if you’re familiar with John Meadows. Pro bodybuilder and elite coach etc but he was also a youth football coach

Yeah he’s got really cool ideas on exercise order, with his pre pump work and stretching. I read a bunch of the stuff he did with Dave Tate.

Yeah he’s got really cool ideas on exercise order, with his pre pump work and stretching. I read a bunch of the stuff he did with Dave Tate.
Probably the nicest guy on the planet as well. We did some podcasts together and the guy just loved what he did

Anyway…I think it’s odd when people speak in such absolutes when it comes to training, nutrition, supplements etc and then cite some study as their criteria

**** is running rampant right now but the answer is usually pretty boring when it comes to what works “best”

But you can’t make a name for yourself these days in that space by just providing that type of perspective. It’s all about “gotcha” tactics and gaining views and likes sadly

/end rant

Advertisement
Probably the nicest guy on the planet as well. We did some podcasts together and the guy just loved what he did

Anyway…I think it’s odd when people speak in such absolutes when it comes to training, nutrition, supplements etc and then cite some study as their criteria

**** is running rampant right now but the answer is usually pretty boring when it comes to what works “best”

But you can’t make a name for yourself these days in that space by just providing that type of perspective. It’s all about “gotcha” tactics and gaining views and likes sadly

/end rant
I was listening to a Pod today it was either Joe Defranco or mind pump and they said boring works but it doesn’t sell! LOL.

I was listening to a Pod today it was either Joe Defranco or mind pump and they said boring works but it doesn’t sell! LOL.
For about 100 years the exercises have all been the same and the diet has all been the same

But ya gotta crank out that content, right?

You should check out the Hatch programs. Miami used it under Moffit who learned it directly from Gale Hatch himself. It focuses on compound Olympic lifts. What’s really interesting though is the splits. For a period of time athletes would lift legs and chest twice a week with very little focus on smaller muscles groupings

His strength program translates incredibly well to functional strength on the field. All about about proper form and using the 1RM as a baseline.

One of his best comments was about how ridiculous it is that we still test the 225 bench rep. He said something like that only shows muscle endurance. It doesn’t reflect functional power/ strength.

I’ve been harping on it for some time now, but we really lost our way in the strength department once Moffits program was overtaking by Swasey whose main focus was on band resistance. The. We had Gus felder who focused on HIIT which is pure junk for football players. Feely was pretty good I really don’t have many complaints. Our soft tissue injuries were down which is an indicator for a quality strength program. My only grip was we didn’t do as many compound lifts necessary.

I don’t know much about the new guy Feld, but I’m certain he is the best we’ve had since Moffit.

I love his YouTube. Excellent resource on lifting and you can tell was a legit nice guy. RIP to him.

Advertisement
You should check out the Hatch programs. Miami used it under Moffit who learned it directly from Gale Hatch himself. It focuses on compound Olympic lifts. What’s really interesting though is the splits. For a period of time athletes would lift legs and chest twice a week with very little focus on smaller muscles groupings

His strength program translates incredibly well to functional strength on the field. All about about proper form and using the 1RM as a baseline.

One of his best comments was about how ridiculous it is that we still test the 225 bench rep. He said something like that only shows muscle endurance. It doesn’t reflect functional power/ strength.

I’ve been harping on it for some time now, but we really lost our way in the strength department once Moffits program was overtaking by Swasey whose main focus was on band resistance. The. We had Gus felder who focused on HIIT which is pure junk for football players. Feely was pretty good I really don’t have many complaints. Our soft tissue injuries were down which is an indicator for a quality strength program. My only grip was we didn’t do as many compound lifts necessary.

I don’t know much about the new guy Feld, but I’m certain he is the best we’ve had since Moffit.
Yeah the hatch guys are big on only lifts and bar speed.

I’m pretty familiar with Hatch. It’s no secret that triple extension training is great for athletics. You see now a lot of movement away from Oly lifts because of the technical component and increased injury risks.

Lot of guys are moving to jumps and throws + more basic lifts like front squat and trap bar DL to teach triple extension with less risk to joints via the plyometric throw and jumps and build muscle with less injury in basic lifts.

I think the hatch guys are big on using tendos to measure bar speed to train power too.

I have very little to contribute to this conversation, except to say that I love MindPump’s content.

Advertisement
OK, the wait is over. At long last, I can provide some pictorial context to the Athletic Facilities.

Short version - yes, there is some construction going on in spots, but it is nowhere close to what it WILL BE down the line. As has been mentioned by another poster, if the 19-20 months holds up, we would be looking at early 2024, which should coincide with some phases of Millenial Village (replacement for the Towers) being done. So there's gonna be...A LOT...of construction on that side of campus.

First, because my fans demand it, we start with a map. Not just any map, but a photo I took when I was inside of the Parking Office just a few doors down from AllCanes.

1655158966733.png

First, the green area is where we will be extending the IPF to become a full 100 yard (or 120 yard) field.

Second, the orange arrow is where I believe we will clone Greentree, so that the two fields are (effectively) moving westward. We might still have a mini "linemen" practice area in the southern section of the easternmost Greentree field currently.

Third, the purple area is the approximate location of the current weight room. It is my understanding that once the other areas to the west have been rebuilt, the weight room will be moving a bit to the west, and the "original" IPF will be restored to its full turf capacity.

Finally, the blue X's are where we will be rebuilding. The Knight Sports Complex is a fieldhouse used by basketball and volleyball. Potentially, these activities could be moved adjacent to the arena. The Kearns HOF is a newer sliver, but based on Dan's comments, he might be moving that to the front of "new" Hecht anyhow, so maybe this building gets dozed too. Everyone knows how I feel about "old" Hecht, but I was moderately impressed by how they fancied up the front of it. And the Schwartz Center is newer, so this might be just a partial rebuild, or maybe they build upward.

My best guess is that "old" Hecht, the Knight, and the HOF form the footprint for the new building. Also, Dan talked a lot about parking for the players, so I'm not sure how that factors in. I would love to see some modifications to the Ponce/Alhambra garage so that players could walk north to the newly extended IPF. Anyhow, Imma let the architects architect and get on with the pix.

OK, here is the front of the "old" Hecht Athletic Center. You can see that it is 2 stories and had almost no windows (those 2nd floor windows are for the old vaulted lobby which took up quite a bit of space, but they have expanded some of the offices to take up part of the old lobby, so the new lobby is quite small by comparison. Not a lot of windows elsewhere, though.

1655159715863.png

I went into the lobby, but was told that I couldn't tour "old" Hecht, but that I was welcome to walk around the (left) side over to the Schwartz Center. I took full advantage of that license...

So walking around to the left side of the "old" Hecht entrance, I went to the side of the "old" Hecht. As you can see, even "old" Hecht is built in modules, so whatever the "new" footprint will be, there are a variety of buildings which may be torn down.

1655159974032.png

So then, if you pivot to the left, you will see the rest of the side of "old" Hecht as it connects to the Schwartz. So that reddish facad the the building that juts out to the left is the Schwartz Center.

1655160083432.png

Here is a closer look at the entrance to the Schwartz. As you can see, they are doing a bit of construction here, and I think this is related to the new locker rooms (as the locker rooms are CURRENTLY in the Schwartz, not the IPF, at least if my sense of direction and location hasn't completely abandoned me). And, yes, those are some of our players, though I was trying not to get arrested for stalking.

1655160224468.png

OK, adjust your eyes, we're about to go inside. When you stalk follow those players inside, this is the right side of the lobby. There were some barricades up, but essentially, the right side of the lobby (but farther back) is where the lockers are, the cafeteria area was directly in front (but past a reception desk and stairs), and then there was an area set up with a bunch of food to the left (essentially where those big huge windows are to the left of the entrance doors shown above).

1655160358330.png

So behind the person lugging the cooler are the doors to the Dwayne and Dany Johnson locker rooms. Directly in front is (for lack of a better description) a cafeteria with tables and chairs.

1655160462801.png

As I mentioned, to the left, they had an ad hoc food service area. Not sure if this was due to summertime or construction, but I'm sure it's not the "permanent" solution for this area. Had to snap a photo of our guy Jake.

1655160585526.png

Whoops, wrong photo. This is the correct Jake:

1655160606248.png

Next up, the Second Floor Crew...

Advertisement
Not gonna lie, the second floor was like a maze. Wasn't sure where Schwartz ended and Hecht began or vice versa (@RVACane is free to psychoanalyze that comment).

Here is one of the cool photo hallways. Once I went up those stairs from the earlier photo, I could have kept going up to a large meeting room (where the NCAA bids and "new jerseys" are announced?), but I tried not to open any doors unless they were clearly marked as bathrooms. So this is the "orange" hallway, I think you can kinda see Schnelly to the right. The right-side wall was all about National Championships and those head coaches.

1655160836993.png

OK, now here is the @LeedsCane money shot. She wanted to know the layout/location of the weight room. So imagine this, the orange hallway shown above was basically leading me west towards San Amaro. Then you turn left at the end of the hallway and go into a 2nd floor hallway that looks out over the weight room. So as you walk south again, you are basically at the back edge of the "old" buildings and the westernmost edge of the IPF. I told @LeedsCane that the "2-story" portion of the weight room HAD to be in the new IPF, based on the look of the construction and the height of the facility.

I want to say something else. The weight room was packed AND LOUD. I was behind soundproof glass and it was still loud. All of the players were wearing gray shirts with their names/numbers on the back. Anyhow, in case you can't tell from the photo, the "left" side of the picture would be the IPF building, and the right side of the picture (can't see it very well, but there is stuff underneath that "one-story" ceiling to the right) is what I believe is in the "old" Hecht building. And before @Rellyrell asks, yes, I was wearing a Nike polo in addition to my AF1s. Plus the UM Shark Institute hat, since it isn't made by either Nike or adidas.

1655161173409.png

1655161277777.png

Now, please forgive me, I'm not Lloyd Summerall's dad, so I wasn't going to squeeze into a Miami uniform for this next picture. But, still, this hallway gave me the chills. Maybe it was the notorious UM "sub 70 degrees" air conditioning. But maybe it was just this god**** bada$$ hallway itself...

1655161404309.png

End of that hallway (for context):

1655161512267.png

Now, for CONTEXT, this is the OTHER side of the weight room. So if you stare hard enough (like it's one of those Magic Eye posters), you can see the 2nd floor windows where I took the FIRST set of pix. Now you will see that the "one-story" part of the weight room is to the left of the picture.

1655161611305.png

1655161670150.png

1655161680222.png

Him too, I went to UM for a long time and got three degrees...

1655161730962.png

Sorry, had to take a second picture:

1655161760449.png

The key takeaway here is that we need a digital scoreboard that can be updated in real time. Engraving is insufficient here. And @Rellyrell can see the AF1s.

1655161831024.png

And to your left, we are just about to go into the offices...shhhhh....I don't think the Hecht receptionist thought I would get this far...

1655161883414.png

View attachment 189257
View attachment 189258

Him too, I went to UM for a long time and got three degrees...

View attachment 189259

Sorry, had to take a second picture:

View attachment 189260

The key takeaway here is that we need a digital scoreboard that can be updated in real time. Engraving is insufficient here. And @Rellyrell can see the AF1s.

View attachment 189261

And to your left, we are just about to go into the offices...shhhhh....I don't think the Hecht receptionist thought I would get this far...

View attachment 189262

Agreed; yes I see the AF1 on ur feet. Lol; but, we do need a digital scoreboard. Also, I hate to admit this, but it’s either Bama’s, Clemson’s AD, or maybe both that had NFL helmets of all 32 teams, & players drafted or on those teams from their school assigned to said helmets digitally. Thought that was a cool feature that we should incorporate, & a Canton wall.

Yep, first door on the left was Zo's...and he wasn't there...I tried to tell myself that he left early because he didn't want to be late for our lunch, but this was like 10:30 am. Not trying to get anyone in trouble, but there was a celebratory wine/champagne bottle on the left side of his desk (just out of the picture), so this is another one of those "private school advantages", we can have alcohol on campus...

1655162043809.png

OK, so I was clearly walking into an area where people were doing actual work (unlike myself), so I decided to go back to the first floor and get a picture of my former classmate's monetary donation...where's Dany's name, she gave a mill too? I was gonna spraypaint the doors with " @brock says U suck", but I decided against that...

1655162119818.png

Cafeteria. Clearly a work in progress...

1655162172770.png

OK, put your sunglasses on, we're about to go outside again. So this is the view looking northward from the Schwartz. The white building to the right (and basketball courts) are the Wellness Center, and the fence at the left is the upper edge fo the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

1655162305261.png

Spinning back to the right, I am now going to walk you past the Schwartz to the IPF itself.

1655162367260.png

Here you can see that the Schwartz and the IPF are separate buildings. Part of the "new" construction is going to create more connections (and hopefully fewer separate buildings). This is kinda/sort where the weight room will be, "looking out" into the IPF.

1655162450703.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back