New Weight Room

Look, I just couldn't NOT take this next photo. UM students and alums will recognize the significance (and I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it later on the Ron Fraser plaque, but there is a LOT of duck ****e as you get close to the canals)...for the record, this is the canal on which both the IPF and the Wellness Center are constructed.

1655162594321.png

Wellness Center to the right (once you cross the bridge heading to ****inson Drive):

1655162643839.png

IPF to the left:

1655162692364.png

No matter what some porsters will tell you, we are NOT expanding the IPF in an eastern direction:

1655162738996.png

Brooke Wilson's golf cart. Don't be crude...

1655162790480.png

Advertisement
OK, so now I've swung around to the RIGHT side of the "old" Hecht (when standing on San Amaro) and I'm headed towards the Cobb Track and The Light.

Directly in front of you is the Knight basketball/volleyball fieldhouse, with the Sports Hall of Fame to the right side of the picture.

1655162922417.png

In this pic, to the left is the part of "old" Hecht beyond the lobby, and the entrance to the Knight Sports Complex. I think I went to a couple of "Midnight Madness" basketball events at the Knight, back when we were using the (downtown) Knight Center and/or the (old) Miami Arena.

1655163001123.png

Son-of-a...I'm going to have to call @SWFLHurricane and lodge a complaint, so he can get John Routh on this ASAP. This had me feeling like the Griswold family at Wally World...

1655163070551.png

1655163206105.png

OK, so here is a shot looking eastward from San Amaro-ish. HOF/Knight/IPF to your left. Cobb Track to your right. Parking garage and The Light in the back right. Greentree in the far back center.

1655163617855.png

Same.

1655163637562.png

Ditto. Fun with zoom-in and zoom-out.

1655163665155.png

God**** Lambda Chis...we built that house...

1655163724005.png

Cobb Track from the stands.

1655163758640.png

Somebody left a gate open...

1655163788037.png

OK, apologies for the perspective, but these are NOT ducks, they are chickens...is someone doing Santeria somewhere?

1655163866903.png

1655163917733.png

Are they ever gonna have an area to honor former hurricane greats or championship teams? Having a name or a picture on a hallway just seems like it’s not enough.

Advertisement
So I tried to explain this on other threads, but we have weight rooms for different sports in different areas. Here is the baseball weight room.

1655164129348.png

1655164141289.png

I tutored this guy! Not like he needed it, both his parents were teachers. BUT STILL!!!

1655164175603.png

I'll take $5M to forget about steroids...

1655164201551.png

Goddammit, what was I doing...here's @SWFLHurricane 's guy!

1655164239272.png

You can BARELY see the duck ****. If only these pictures had Smell-a-vision...

1655164271941.png

One of the things that drew me to Miami (those Gaytors and SemenHoles had nothing to compare)...

1655164328877.png

Are they ever gonna have an area to honor former hurricane greats or championship teams? Having a name or a picture on a hallway just seems like it’s not enough.

Dude, trust me, they have a ton of that stuff all over the place. I actually did not take THAT MANY pictures, I could have taken a lot more.

1655164664585.png

Advertisement
OK, the wait is over. At long last, I can provide some pictorial context to the Athletic Facilities.

Short version - yes, there is some construction going on in spots, but it is nowhere close to what it WILL BE down the line. As has been mentioned by another poster, if the 19-20 months holds up, we would be looking at early 2024, which should coincide with some phases of Millenial Village (replacement for the Towers) being done. So there's gonna be...A LOT...of construction on that side of campus.

First, because my fans demand it, we start with a map. Not just any map, but a photo I took when I was inside of the Parking Office just a few doors down from AllCanes.

View attachment 189238

First, the green area is where we will be extending the IPF to become a full 100 yard (or 120 yard) field.

Second, the orange arrow is where I believe we will clone Greentree, so that the two fields are (effectively) moving westward. We might still have a mini "linemen" practice area in the southern section of the easternmost Greentree field currently.

Third, the purple area is the approximate location of the current weight room. It is my understanding that once the other areas to the west have been rebuilt, the weight room will be moving a bit to the west, and the "original" IPF will be restored to its full turf capacity.

Finally, the blue X's are where we will be rebuilding. The Knight Sports Complex is a fieldhouse used by basketball and volleyball. Potentially, these activities could be moved adjacent to the arena. The Kearns HOF is a newer sliver, but based on Dan's comments, he might be moving that to the front of "new" Hecht anyhow, so maybe this building gets dozed too. Everyone knows how I feel about "old" Hecht, but I was moderately impressed by how they fancied up the front of it. And the Schwartz Center is newer, so this might be just a partial rebuild, or maybe they build upward.

My best guess is that "old" Hecht, the Knight, and the HOF form the footprint for the new building. Also, Dan talked a lot about parking for the players, so I'm not sure how that factors in. I would love to see some modifications to the Ponce/Alhambra garage so that players could walk north to the newly extended IPF. Anyhow, Imma let the architects architect and get on with the pix.
From my understanding the new facilities will be 5 floors but I heard that's where parking may come into affect of adding a floor for parking. Knowing coral gables and areas for residences I'm a lil surprised that we'd be able to pull that off getting permits to build that high vertically. in all these instances obviously I fall back on you here. I only know anything on this stuff from a few seperate conversations with dimare. I'm as excited as anyone to see all this progress everytime I walk through the halls now. It's amusing to me. All these phone calls I used to get from former teammates tryin to crack on us cause of former staff have turned into a real different tone. You can hear the respect and the fear in them now. You'd never get how competitive we all are towards are alumni till season rolls around. To be like this in the off-season is fun for once.

Can’t wait til the full renovation take place. Thanks for all the pics & updates. Any word on the baseball field? That baby can use a little bit of face lift, mostly cosmetic.

We asked Dan about Mark Light, and he said we do not need more capacity, so I would NOT expect the permanent grandstand seating to be extended down the third base line to replace the bleachers. However, he did talk about the possibility of doing some sort of overhang for the existing building to offer more sunlight/rain protection.

From my understanding the new facilities will be 5 floors but I heard that's where parking may come into affect of adding a floor for parking. Knowing coral gables and areas for residences I'm a lil surprised that we'd be able to pull that off getting permits to build that high vertically. in all these instances obviously I fall back on you here. I only know anything on this stuff from a few seperate conversations with dimare. I'm as excited as anyone to see all this progress everytime I walk through the halls now. It's amusing to me. All these phone calls I used to get from former teammates tryin to crack on us cause of former staff have turned into a real different tone. You can hear the respect and the fear in them now. You'd never get how competitive we all are towards are alumni till season rolls around. To be like this in the off-season is fun for once.

Thanks, Dee, I appreciate it.

It's my understanding that the most recent UM BAG masterplan received "pre-approval" for new buildings in the 5-6 story range. As you know, once the Towers are demolished, the tallest buildings on campus will be Mahoney-Pearson and the Richter Library/Ashe Administrative buildings (though I heard the Pavia garage was built and/or approved to have another story added to it). Nothing will be taller than 7 stories anywhere on campus. So, to allow a 5-6 story athletic building that is across the street from the Pike/Lambda Chi houses is pretty much an easy ask, in the grand scheme of "Coral Gables zoning" issues.

The only part that confuses me about putting parking in "new Hecht" is that a hybrid building usually has parking on the ground floor. And between the reception/lobby area along San Amaro and the weight room that will look out into the IPF, I'm not sure where the parking would be located. I'd love to see them renovate the existing Ponce/Alhambra garage and create a "back entry/exit" to that building that leads towards Greentree. Then, with the extension of the IPF southward, you'd have a pretty short walk from the Ponce/Alhambra garage to the IPF building.

You are pretty familiar with the campus, and you know about that walkway that runs between Hecht/Schwartz/IPF and Schiff/Wellness Center. There was no bridge over the canal back when we were students, it was essentially a dead-end with no way to cross the canal. Now, people can walk between campus spots that once forcee you to walk the loooooong way around the canal and other buildings. We could do the same thing with the Ponce/Alhambra garage and connect it Greentree/IPF with a nice brick walkway along the canal.

Finally, I agree with your comments on the fear that we are starting to hear from our rivals. They are hearing the rumors about what we are building, and they are shook.

Advertisement
This is the first off season in a while I've just taken a step back from the fray to enjoy everything coming together. It's nice to see how confident and happy your tone is compared to past summers. Thanks as always @Brooklyndee

Last edited:
Wait, our practice fields will face east/west? What kind of sorcery is this?

/old enough to remembr the old artifical turf field on greentree that was east/west

Advertisement
Wait, our practice fields will face east/west? What kind of sorcery is this?

/old enough to remembr the old artifical turf field on greentree that was east/west

Who said that?

The fields are aligned north-to-south. But the two full 100 yard fields will likely move to the west. They will put a new field where the track is, since the field along the canal will be partially cannibalized by the IPF expansion.

So...two fields will move in a westward direction. Not complicated.

We asked Dan about Mark Light, and he said we do not need more capacity, so I would NOT expect the permanent grandstand seating to be extended down the third base line to replace the bleachers. However, he did talk about the possibility of doing some sort of overhang for the existing building to offer more sunlight/rain protection.

OK; that makes sense. Bleacher seating + sunlight = nooooo lord, why?! Lol

Advertisement
Back