New Weight Room

1654722815795.png

Advertisement
I remember doing bench presses in the power cage, though I thought that was where one squatted. I had the tiniest hiccup right before the bar would touch my chess. I also have long arms, so it likely was tougher for me benching. That workout for increasing bench press numbers though really worked for me. I probably was around 12 reps of 225 before I started the power play!! Afterwards I was 2 sets of 20 @ 225. Max weight got to 380 and max 225 reps was 27 times. Im sure there was a formula then . . . and Im sure there is a better updated formula now. Would 225 2 sets of 20, 225 27 times, or 380 max be most useful for an offensive linemen? The two sets of 20 seem more impressive to me. I believe I was in the 12-15 range with 315. Probably one set.
Beast 🔥

Advertisement
I remember doing bench presses in the power cage, though I thought that was where one squatted. I had the tiniest hiccup right before the bar would touch my chess. I also have long arms, so it likely was tougher for me benching. That workout for increasing bench press numbers though really worked for me. I probably was around 12 reps of 225 before I started the power play!! Afterwards I was 2 sets of 20 @ 225. Max weight got to 380 and max 225 reps was 27 times. Im sure there was a formula then . . . and Im sure there is a better updated formula now. Would 225 2 sets of 20, 225 27 times, or 380 max be most useful for an offensive linemen? The two sets of 20 seem more impressive to me. I believe I was in the 12-15 range with 315. Probably one set.
@JHallCanes is a professional but in my amateur opinion maximum strength gets developed by max effort lifts in the 1-3 rep range. If you are lifting for maxes you are training your technique and neural system on the movement as much as, if not more than, the muscles. Then use supplemental lifts to bring up muscle size 10-20 rep range depending on whether the supplemental is compound or isolation.

What I described briefly above is basically a max effort day for powerlifting. For an OL I’d say it depend on the period your in. I wouldn’t be pushing for PRs in season. For off season strength accumulation, it would do what I just said. The volume you are talking is likely too much for optimal strength development. If you do 225 20 times, you’ll get strong but the volume is probably too much to be optimal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
@JHallCanes is a professional but in my amateur opinion maximum strength gets developed by max effort lifts in the 1-3 rep range. If you are lifting for maxes you are training your technique and neural system on the movement as much as, if not more than, the muscles. Then use supplemental lifts to bring up muscle size 10-20 rep range depending on whether the supplemental is compound or isolation.

What I described briefly above is basically a max effort day for powerlifting. For an OL I’d say it depend on the period your in. I wouldn’t be pushing for PRs in season. For off season strength accumulation, it would do what I just said. The volume you are talking is likely too much for optimal strength development. If you do 225 20 times, you’ll get strong but the volume is probably too much to be optimal.
It’s an interesting discussion for sure

You see some guys ya know they’ve got like 8 ft wingspans so the bench is just tough for them even though they are actually pretty strong

You see guys like Larry Allen where his freakish strength carried over to on field dominance

You could make a case where a great one rep max could lead to a strong punch, or being able to show bench stamina is good for a player as the game goes along

But I think you’re correct when you’re talking about doing max numbers doing the football season…not sure how likely that would be what with the actual football training that’s going on. There’s definitely a balance of the actual practices and the weight room intensity that levers up and down

What’s the significance of sorinex and is it that much different than say…rogue?
Nothing. Power cage = power cage only real difference was if you bench in the rack rogue used to use west side spacing on their 3x2 racks so you could put the bar at a perfect lift off height. They don’t use that spacing on 3x3 racks.
All true.

I'll just comment that Sorinex is a very well-known brand within the collegiate S&C world and has been for a very long time. We're spoiled with Rogue and other companies now - Back in the 80's and 90's, if you wanted a weight room you had to call Sorinex to custom-build you something as they were the only ones that did that kind of fabrication for S&C programs.

So there's no special significance that we built out the facility with Sorinex equipment, but they still have a strong reputation in this space.

Advertisement
I just spoke with my guy who orders equipment from me at Sorinex. He said they had to do a ton of modifications to fit everything in the limited space that was available and that Feld was very pleased. He said at Oregon they had a massive and very impressive room when they were done. The three most impressive he said were Oregon, Bama, and UGA. I mentioned that this is only a temporary facility and asked about them building another one but he is on the install side, not sales, so he is unaware of that. He did say they have a great relationship with Feld so if there was another room built that he’s sure they would be involved.

You see some guys ya know they’ve got like 8 ft wingspans so the bench is just tough for them even though they are actually pretty strong

You see guys like Larry Allen where his freakish strength carried over to on field dominance

You could make a case where a great one rep max could lead to a strong punch, or being able to show bench stamina is good for a player as the game goes along

But I think you’re correct when you’re talking about doing max numbers doing the football season…not sure how likely that would be what with the actual football training that’s going on. There’s definitely a balance of the actual practices and the weight room intensity that levers up and down

Out of season lifting for sure!

Yeah I think there is a minimum required level of strength and the law of diminishing returns kicks in. And like you said, leverage and technique matter a ton for hitting high numbers. Again subject to have certain minimizing standards. Point being a OL with 500 pound bench isn’t better than a 450 pound or 400 pound guy because of his bench.

I read this guys article maybe 5 years ago on elitefts and his high school program was pretty much what I’d have said I did in my late 20s and 30s.

As I get older 1) I realize for HS this training works for seniors and maybe juniors, but how many people can even squat right at heavy load or even need west side speed work day when they are still piling on gains doing basic 5x5 programs? 2) it develops power but what about power in the transversal plane? (A question I’d never ask until I got old and wondered why my hips and shoulders were tight!). The older I get the more I like sleds and explosive med ball throws in addition to heavy iron.

Anyway, if I was trying to build raw strength and power for an athlete rather than a power lifter, I’d milk a 5x5 to build up the pathways and then flip to conjugate on main lifts but I’m not sure I’d go 1-3 rep range frequently and I’d try to push for increases in the 5 rep range as the 1 rep “training max” probably isn’t worth the risk of injury / beating on joints. It’s all interesting stuff.

Advertisement
Back