New Players & Upcoming Trip to France

Quick thoughts from someone at the game:

Pack was hot.
Omier was dominant (probably to be expected against lesser comp… but the feedback was he looked really good).
Wooga looks gooood.
Casey appears to have developed nicely.
Maybe he's playing in his natural position (stretch 4) since we have depth at center now

Advertisement
Omier needs to take a big jump offensively to be a second option Imo. Which is possible.
This brings up an interesting issue of who is option 2 on the team this year. Last year Pack, Miller and Wong pretty much took turns depending on who was hot and the matchup. I would expect the same this year for Omier and Wooga.

Advertisement
1691264552665.png

Too soon?

Advertisement
I’m telling you Casey has more to his game than we saw last year. He was a true Fr.
I thought the one thing Casey showed last year is that he can move his feet pretty well on defense. he had no feel for the game and as such wasn't really playable, but I do think he has the skillset to play as a big defensively in L's system if he is able to adjust to the speed of the game. and then if he actually develops offensively he could be a productive player as a back up 5. I don't think you can play him and Omier together much bcuz neither of them can really shoot but it would be great to have a good back up 5 for once.

I thought the one thing Casey showed last year is that he can move his feet pretty well on defense. he had no feel for the game and as such wasn't really playable, but I do think he has the skillset to play as a big defensively in L's system if he is able to adjust to the speed of the game. and then if he actually develops offensively he could be a productive player as a back up 5. I don't think you can play him and Omier together much bcuz neither of them can really shoot but it would be great to have a good back up 5 for once.
Omier can shoot. He was under orders last season not to stray much from underneath the hoop as we needed his interior presence and rebounding at both ends. Casey, in the games we saw last season, displayed zero shooting ability. The reports from France on a possible turnaround with his scoring ability are great to read. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement
Casey is not going to be the backup 5

Casey is not going to be the backup 5
Yes he is. Nwoko is going to play sparingly. L usually doesn't lean heavily on freshmen and Nwoko hasn't done much in these games in France.

Walker was the backup 5 last year and is not any bigger than Casey. When Omier went down in the ACC tournament, we played Casey at the 5 for long stretches.

The only other option is Cleveland, but those would be tiny lineups. We had some good minutes with Miller at the 5 in the elite 8, but I don't think that's something L will want to do very often this year.

I'll eat crow when I need to - Casey seems to have the light coming on for him offensively. Yes - it's against a bit lesser competition, but this is good live game action he's doing this against so I'm tickled for him. Want to see him keep growing, take this momentum with him into the season. Keep developing and hopefully see his floor presence/feel and basketball IQ take a jump in year 2.

Happy for Wooga too! He's been pretty efficient. He keeps it up we won't be hurting as bad without Wong as we thought, especially if Watson/Jakai (or someone else) can fill the wing role Wooga had last year so Wooga can dominate the ball more.

Advertisement
Yes he is. Nwoko is going to play sparingly. L usually doesn't lean heavily on freshmen and Nwoko hasn't done much in these games in France.

Walker was the backup 5 last year and is not any bigger than Casey. When Omier went down in the ACC tournament, we played Casey at the 5 for long stretches.

The only other option is Cleveland, but those would be tiny lineups. We had some good minutes with Miller at the 5 in the elite 8, but I don't think that's something L will want to do very often this year.
We can agree to disagree, but I'll say it again: Casey is not going to be the backup five this year.

Advertisement
Back