New Players & Upcoming Trip to France

Advertisement
Michelle starting the season off hot. Very first question:

L: We won't practice in France, we'll just play the 3 games.
Michelle: So wait, you're going to be practicing in France?

Confused Pokemon GIF by hoppip

Advertisement
Hate to hear Casey is still struggling… but sounds very positive on Nwoko playing a lot immediately

Hate to hear Casey is still struggling… but sounds very positive on Nwoko playing a lot immediately
Casey and Watson do not know who they are offensively. As L said, they don’t know what shots to take because they don’t have an offensive identity. Are they inside players?
Watson referred to himself as a bid guard???
Last year in pre-game I would see Casey taking 12 foot jump shots, a shot that I never saw him take during a game.

They need to figure out what they are good at or they will be passed up by Nwoko and George. I like that Watson was made available for the interview as it makes me think L is seeing something in him.

I've got concerns about Casey and I hope I'm wrong - but his butt needs to be in the paint using his athleticism/quickness advantage over other bigs, and not out on the perimeter except in really rare times unless he gets his 3pt% up around 35-40%.

Advertisement
I've got concerns about Casey and I hope I'm wrong - but his butt needs to be in the paint using his athleticism/quickness advantage over other bigs, and not out on the perimeter except in really rare times unless he gets his 3pt% up around 35-40%.
Concerns about a kid who's played all of one year at the college level? You probably were writing off Wooga after his freshman year as well.

Casey and Watson do not know who they are offensively. As L said, they don’t know what shots to take because they don’t have an offensive identity. Are they inside players?
Watson referred to himself as a bid guard???
Last year in pre-game I would see Casey taking 12 foot jump shots, a shot that I never saw him take during a game.

They need to figure out what they are good at or they will be passed up by Nwoko and George. I like that Watson was made available for the interview as it makes me think L is seeing something in him.

It's got to be hard to go from being the man in high school to a role player in college. Casey and Watson were volume scorers, and L wants them to be efficient scorers. Wooga last year was a great example. He understood he was the 5th option in the offense, played great defense, and let the offense come to him.

It's got to be hard to go from being the man in high school to a role player in college. Casey and Watson were volume scorers, and L wants them to be efficient scorers. Wooga last year was a great example. He understood he was the 5th option in the offense, played great defense, and let the offense come to him.
Great points. Wooga figured out where to score from, and when to shoot. If Watson and/or Casey can do the same they can be productive but it takes buy in from the players. They do have maybe the best coach in the game for helping them understand how they can be productive.

Concerns about a kid who's played all of one year at the college level? You probably were writing off Wooga after his freshman year as well.

Not really. I saw flashes with Wooga that were promising as a FR, even if he was out of control at times as a FR (which is to be expected of a high energy wing like him).

The best way I can illustrate my concern with one quick story - I went to the ACC tourney, was there for the game vs Duke. We are late 2nd half down 1 after clawing our way back, Pack gets doubled off a ball screen, passes to Casey just to the left of the top of the key. Yes - Casey was wide open. He has Derek Lively flying at him on a late closeout...pump fake and go to the bucket would have been the better play...Duke was battling foul trouble and we had them on the ropes (Filipowski was under the bucket, for the record...another foul on him would've helped a bunch). Casey took and bricked a 3.

Yes, it was one play. Yes, he's a true FR. Yes, it was a big moment and even savvy players make the wrong choice. But we never got any closer than that 1-point margin in a big tournament game, and a true FR decided he needed to be the one to take that shot in that moment instead of Wong, Pack, Miller, etc. Here's video proof (time stamp = 58:14):

My concern isn't talent w/Casey, it's his on-court IQ and shot selection. He's young and will hopefully figure out his strengths and be able to apply them better. I'm hopeful, but concerned - and certanily not "writing him off" as you put it. Just honest criticism. Nothing wrong with that.

Who Knows Idk GIF

Advertisement
Here how about we let Casey get another year under his belt before some of you start writing him off.

Here how about we let Casey get another year under his belt before some of you start writing him off.

How about you stop saying I'm writing him off when I'm just saying I have valid concerns? Those are VASTLY different things.

Incredulous Come On GIF by Almost Christmas Movie

I love listening to Coach L

Wooga at the point in some sets? Has to be to move Pack off the ball to get him shots. But its also great for Wooga and his NBA prospects.

I think it’s both for Wooga’s NBA prospects AND to stress the defense with a point who can drive and dunk against almost anyone running the high ball screen offense.

I mean IF his handle is up to it, Wooga at the point would be a matchup nightmare. But I think Watson, George, Casey or Nwoko need to be ready to make that work. I have a difficult time seeing Bens at wing…

Advertisement
Not really. I saw flashes with Wooga that were promising as a FR, even if he was out of control at times as a FR (which is to be expected of a high energy wing like him).

The best way I can illustrate my concern with one quick story - I went to the ACC tourney, was there for the game vs Duke. We are late 2nd half down 1 after clawing our way back, Pack gets doubled off a ball screen, passes to Casey just to the left of the top of the key. Yes - Casey was wide open. He has Derek Lively flying at him on a late closeout...pump fake and go to the bucket would have been the better play...Duke was battling foul trouble and we had them on the ropes (Filipowski was under the bucket, for the record...another foul on him would've helped a bunch). Casey took and bricked a 3.

Yes, it was one play. Yes, he's a true FR. Yes, it was a big moment and even savvy players make the wrong choice. But we never got any closer than that 1-point margin in a big tournament game, and a true FR decided he needed to be the one to take that shot in that moment instead of Wong, Pack, Miller, etc. Here's video proof (time stamp = 58:14):

My concern isn't talent w/Casey, it's his on-court IQ and shot selection. He's young and will hopefully figure out his strengths and be able to apply them better. I'm hopeful, but concerned - and certanily not "writing him off" as you put it. Just honest criticism. Nothing wrong with that.

Who Knows Idk GIF

That is exactly the point Jim was making within the interview. He flat out said Wong would take some low percentage shot selections at times. Jim implied he was okay with Wong doing so because he made a relatively high percentage of them. Wong was unique.

That is why Jim demands his freshmen be good defenders and rebounders if they want to see the floor. The staff and he are working with Casey and Watson on shot selection, but he also implies both are going to be a fourth or fifth option when they are on the floor. He does want offensive production to improve significantly.

Last edited:
He does not have the body type to paint himself in the paint. Nothing wrong with him developing a midrange jumper.

That is exactly the point Jim was making within the interview. He flat out said Wong would take some low percentage shot selections at times. Jim implied he was okay with Wong doing so because he may a relatively high percentage of them. Wong was unique.

That is why Jim demands his freshmen be good defenders and rebounders if they want to see the floor. The staff and he are working with Casey and Watson on shot selection, but he also implies both are going to be a fourth or fifth option when they are on the floor. He does want offensive production to improve significantly.
Yep - and I trust L and the staff to get guys like Casey and Watson right. They'll get there.

Advertisement
Back