New JUCO corner on UM's radar

Regarding transfers and JUCOs. I expect our coaches to search high and low for the best talent, placing us in the best position to win. If that implies that we failed in development or past recruitment fine, but fix it and fix it before the games are played.

Bama recruits JUCO as hard as anyone. LSU just beat us with a bunch of transfers at multiple positions. Some were key players in their victory at QB, K, DT, WR.

I expect our coaches to look in the JUCO ranks, transfers and continue to recruit at the highest levels, while developing and improvements inS&C/nutrition.

WIN.

Advertisement
Probably just a miscommunication. Saying "awhile" can mean a lot of things, but it couldn't be that long ago considering he transferred from Wisconsin on Aug. 29, a little over three weeks ago. Miami would have had no reason to be in contact before then

Ok well now it's 3 weeks? you just said a week or 2 ago.

alot of people say frierson is a safety. why is that?

Couch im very high on. once that kid puts on some weight, he is going to be very good. he is aggressive and instinctial. i think he's a steal.
I can't speak for anyone else but Frierson's HS tape screams FS to me. Granted he also has the potential to be molded into a good CB but FS would be my first choice with Frierson. The reason is because I see a long, rangy athlete with ball hawking skills and good instincts. He displays good coverage skills but his ball skills and instincts make him a natural candidate at FS. That's just me however. I'm fine with him staying at CB if the staff wants him there. Frierson was actually my favorite DB recruit in the 2018 class.

Advertisement
im not big on good or brownlee. Couch i absolutely love as a prospect. im not a fan of jucos.
I'm a huge fan of Couch for the same reasons. Some like to harp on his skinny frame but that doesn't worry me at this stage. What I see is a pure cover corner and a natural football player. Gus will get his body right. As for the other 2 you mentioned, I like Brownlee as a depth guy but I'm going to have to hold out till after his senior year to really get an idea. To be honest Brownlee doesn't really stand out to me but we'll see. Good I absolutely love and it's because the combination of athleticism, physicality and elite speed seen in Good is quite rare so he is a 100% take based on that alone. He might never play corner here but he will contribute somewhere. With a kid like Good, I like to stick them on defense and figure out their position as you go.

I'm a huge fan of Couch for the same reasons. Some like to harp on his skinny frame but that doesn't worry me at this stage. What I see is a pure cover corner and a natural football player. Gus will get his body right. As for the other 2 you mentioned, I like Brownlee as a depth guy but I'm going to have to hold out till after his senior year to really get an idea. To be honest Brownlee doesn't really stand out to me but we'll see. Good I absolutely love and it's because the combination of athleticism, physicality and elite speed seen in Good is quite rare so he is a 100% take based on that alone. He might never play corner here but he will contribute somewhere. With a kid like Good, I like to stick them on defense and figure out their position as you go.

Good isnt even playing the position.

Brownlee is the best player on the best defense in Dade.

I like Couch.

i agree. brownlee's tape didnt blow me away

Good isnt even playing the position.

Brownlee is the best player on the best defense in Dade.

I like Couch.
I understand Good isn't playing the position which is why I stated that he may never play CB here. He is a take based on his speed and athletic abilities. I do like the take. As far as Brownlee goes, I haven't seen enough of him. I take your word that he is Carol City's best defensive player. I had always thought that Brownlee was a guy that could shoot up recruiting boards if he put it all together his senior year and apparently he has done exactly that. I just haven't seen any High School football yet this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not Scott--Steve and his brother Chris.

I got hit with spell check on that one! (Jk my mistake) One of my best buddies graduated with Walshy and is going to Canada w/ him soon on a hunting trip. He knows what a big Canes fan I am and asked if I had any requests. I might send him up there with a ball to sign I think.

That's so funny.

I was literally looking at their roster and website 2 days ago to see how their team was doing and saw his name (because I was looking for players from Florida). A couple of other interesting things for those of you who watched "LAST CHANCE U" - Malik Henry is back - and thru 3 games he is the 4th or 5th quarterback on the depth chart. Another FSU head case QB.

Also Jermaine Johnson - from Eden Prairie, MN - which is where I live - is the nations top ranked juco DE (I believe) (committed to Georgia). They are one of only a couple football powerhouses up here. Eden Prairie is constantly in the mix for national rankings every year. Granted they are no Florida school - but they run a really good program and their head coach was in the mix for the Gopher's job.

Its good to see a Canes fan in MN I will actually be in Eden Prairie next week on business. Have a good one!

Advertisement
Yep.

And we've had lots of other good ones - a few others have been mentioned in this thread, I think.

The JUCO ranks are much richer in talent than what we can find with grad xfers, though.

But the grad xfer market is another tool we should continue to use.

Colbert was a great find and Golden brought in the Irish punter (O'Donnell ?) for a year who was really good.

Jeremy Shockley, Cortez Kennedy, Bryant McKinney were all JUCO transfers.

Yep.

And we've had lots of other good ones - a few others have been mentioned in this thread, I think.

The JUCO ranks are much richer in talent than what we can find with grad xfers, though.

But the grad xfer market is another tool we should continue to use.

Colbert was a great find and Golden brought in the Irish punter (O'Donnell ?) for a year who was really good.

Call me a bit skeptical (not totally) but I think the JUCO market is down in recent years. Didn't Colbert come from Texas (not JUCO)? The top JUCO QB last year got beat out by Annexstad in Minnesota - (Sitkowski's backup at IMG). He ended up going back to JUCO and becoming a TE. All in about 2-3 months. Vic Viramontes was his name. Miami's juco transfers as of late have not done a whole lot for me aside from adding some depth. (See Dean).

- I think whats missed is he is not a "true" juco kid. He is a kick back that is only at juco level because he transferred late
- He really didn't leave Wisky because he got "beat out". He still was listed 2nd on depth chart. Which was the nickel spot, and is really leaving for another reason. (off the field)

Wisconsin recruits or develops solid dbs probably better than we do currently actually. I'll take him for depth purposes.

I like Brownlee and couch a lot, still don’t like the damarious good take but if you add the juco cb to the mix then that’s a solid group. Definitely not better than last year but still solid nonetheless.
Why dont u like the damarius good take?

Advertisement
Back