New JUCO corner on UM's radar

Not Scott--Steve and his brother Chris.
Bugs Moran? Know the name. Back in the day, mobsters all had nicknames. Nobody does anymore except fighter pilots.

Good old days...grew up in Bay Harbor with a couple of brothers both killed in mob hits. One just disappeared some years back from his Bal Harbor place...nobody knows what happened to him. (Well, somebody does). His younger brother was killed by Meyer Lansky's stepson...so he had the stepson rubbed out. Then somebody disappeared him.

Never thought of Minneapolis as producing Mafia guys...

Advertisement
I know this kid's father. He is a coach for the South Florida Express.

There was an off the field situation. He was initially pulled into the matter, but was later cleared and asked (and granted) a full release.

As was mentioned, he saw significant action against us in the bowl game. He would be a solid addition with legitimate experience from a power 5 school that typically produces top defenses.

Last edited:
Any poster who says they hate JUCOs better be ready to start loving them at least for the next 2 cycles because we need IMMEDIATE help at CB/DT/OT. God help us when Willis leaves next year at DT if Nesta doesn't take a huge step or Ford/Bethel don't make a quantum leap. And lets not even get into OT.

Would provide, at minimum, great depth. He's better than Dean or Delaney, both of which started and played a ton of snaps in the past two years.

Not sure what the problem is.

I like Brownlee and couch a lot, still don’t like the damarious good take but if you add the juco cb to the mix then that’s a solid group. Definitely not better than last year but still solid nonetheless.
Are any of them actually elite though?

Advertisement
It has nothing to do with not closing. He wanted to play cb and they are giving him a chance. Maybe in the spring they can convince him the best way to get on the field is at safety.
I didnt even know he wanted to play corner I thought that was all on the staff, surprising af to me. I like that they gave him a chacne, u tell a recruit what they want to hear to get them to sign but its cool they r letting him try it.

Advertisement
If you have a HC who knows how to manage a roster; JUCOs are just another tool in the toolbox for adding talent.

It comes down to the evaluations.

Butch did very well with JUCOs.

Erickson brought in Cortez Kennedy and a WR from Ohio who was solid here - he may have led the team in yards one year.

Richt hasn't really brought in anyone - only Dean at CB, I think.

So it really isn't known how well Richt can do to add value to the roster with JUCOs.

You have to bring in the right players.
Erickson didn't bring in Cortez. Jimmy Johnson did. He was an overweight backup for us in 1988. They told him if he got in shape he could be an All-American. Tez became great in '89 under Erickson. That was Erickson's first year, Kennedy's second.

Has anyone actually watched this kid play at Wisconsin? Was able to watch some All-22 tape a couple hours ago - he can't turn & run w/Little 10 WRs, but is decent in off zone coverage yet horrific against the run. Stay away. He's not good.

Would provide, at minimum, great depth. He's better than Dean or Delaney, both of which started and played a ton of snaps in the past two years.

Not sure what the problem is.
They weren't good that's the point. Dean actually didn't play much last year, he had less than 100 snaps in only 7 games. He's playing more this year because the other 3 CB's aren't ready yet, but Dean has shown nothing to be considered a success as of now.

I would take Dontye for depth purposes but the issue is if going into 2019 & we're pursuing him to be a starter that's an indicator that 1) the younger Corners we already got still aren't ready & 2) we're not recruiting at a consistent enough level to where we've had to add a Juco or Grad Transfer player in our secondary every year.

We signed three 4 star Corners last year, at the very least 2 of them should be the expected starters alongside Bandy heading into next year. There's a reason why Bama, UGA, Clemson & Oh St poach elite level DB's every year from South Fla.

Advertisement
They weren't good that's the point. Dean actually didn't play much last year, he had less than 100 snaps in only 7 games. He's playing more this year because the other 3 CB's aren't ready yet, but Dean has shown nothing to be considered a success as of now.

I would take Dontye for depth purposes but the issue is if going into 2019 & we're pursuing him to be a starter that's an indicator that 1) the younger Corners we already got still aren't ready & 2) we're not recruiting at a consistent enough level to where we've had to add a Juco or Grad Transfer player in our secondary every year.

We signed three 4 star Corners last year, at the very least 2 of them should be the expected starters alongside Bandy heading into next year. There's a reason why Bama, UGA, Clemson & Oh St poach elite level DB's every year from South Fla.

I mean, I don't want him starting either. But as a dime back? I am cool with that. We need to stop getting into a position where we HAVE to start freshmen or play them above their means. I mean, I am all for freshmen getting a lot of burn, but only if they can handle it. Ours usually can't in excess. Having guys like this on the roster is important.

Now, in a perfect world "guys like this" are already on our roster. They don't transfer out or leave early or whatever. Those three-stars that are meant to develop (like this guy) fill in the back end of the depth chart / roster. But we have missed on so many of these types of depth and special team players over the years, its insane. It feels like our misses / attrition to nothingness are disproportionate to the rest of the nation, but I have no data to support that. Just a hypothesis. Its why we need to sign depth signings like Carriere-Williams, Tito, Boulware...its because we've struggled to develop players like say (just for example) Ryan Fines, Tyreic Martin, Tre Johnson, Cedrick Wright...or we have an issue where we are starting and all of the depth is provided at TE because guys like Jerome Washington bail, Jovani Haskins being a miss, etc. The bottom 1/4 of our recruiting classes have been bad...full of misses and guys that are quick victims of attrition. So, we need to go after the DCW types of the world because we should have recruited guys like him or kept recruits like James Wiggins in the first place over say...recruiting and signing Jeff James.

somethings wrong when: "he came into 2018 as Wisconsin’s most experienced cornerback and was expected to be the Badgers’ #1 corner;
However, Carriere-Williams had primarily been working with the second team defense in fall camp to start 2018 and made his decision to transfer after he was listed on the second string of UW’s week 1 depth chart."

Co-sign.

Kid gets beat out and bails?

No thanks

I hope we're just kicking tbe tires here and nothing more.

Any poster who says they hate JUCOs better be ready to start loving them at least for the next 2 cycles because we need IMMEDIATE help at CB/DT/OT. God help us when Willis leaves next year at DT if Nesta doesn't take a huge step or Ford/Bethel don't make a quantum leap. And lets not even get into OT.
Well what does it say if going into the 4th year of the Richt era we need immediate JC help at so many positions.

Advertisement
Stock talked to him today and he said that he hasn't heard from Miami in a while. Somebody getting a lie.

Probably just a miscommunication. Saying "awhile" can mean a lot of things, but it couldn't be that long ago considering he transferred from Wisconsin on Aug. 29, a little over three weeks ago. Miami would have had no reason to be in contact before then

Advertisement
Back