Name Emerging for WR Job.

I’m not saying hire either one of them. I’m saying recruiting is what matters at WR. Development is an overrated term in regards to WR. WR are either elite and can catch or they can’t. WR coaches need to be recruiters first. People in here saying we need some old as coach to “develop” our talent have it backwards. We need someone who will recruit better players than Harley, Wiggins, Njoku and other scrubs who couldn’t even play in the CFL.

This is a really hot take. Hot garbage.

Advertisement
He went to AZ St because Antonio Pierce sold him on the program, if he was so directly tied to Likens he would've transferred after he was fired.
These guys don’t get just how persuasive great recruiters can be. They give 17 year old kids way too much credit for not being able to be sweet talked by a super salesman like Pierce. Pierce is the talk of college football for his recruiting, yet these toads think great recruiters don’t matter.

I do see the difference, that's why you need an ace recruiter ya know...Everyone's going all out for Sofla kids and UM needs to keep more of them home.

And if you wanna be technical that undefeated season was ridiculously phony, acc was nowhere near as good as it was this past season.
You can say phony all you want tons of players off that team is collecting checks in the league!
Listen to all you guys I want our team to win, want cooney supposed to help in a big way with south Florida players, what about Kevin beard, ice Harris and the list can go on, bring in someone that’s going to develop and help us win 10 games consistently. The “front runners” will come! Look at Richts second year we were looking very good!

Advertisement
Impossible to glean anything from those videos other than he's probably on the booger sugar. I like that he has a track record of developing WRs, that he has west coast connections for recruiting, and experience coaching under Sonny Dykes, just like Lashlee. Seems pretty decent for WR IMO, count me as in favor of it.

Here's a Cal blog about Likens as a potential new OC for them.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: AUG 29 Kent State at Arizona State

Photo by Kevin Abele/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Rob Likens - Former ASU Offensive Coordinator & QB Coach (18-19)
Former Positions: ASU Passing Game Coordinator & WR (17), Kansas OC/QB (15-16), Cal Assistant HC & outside receivers (13-14)

This potential hire seems to be on a lot of Cal fans’ wishlist. Likens was just let go by ASU and is on the open market. He has ties to the Bears as he coached here for the first two years of Sonny Dykes’ tenure. Likens was crucial in recruiting and developing the prolific Cal WRs under Sonny Dykes. He also has stated his regret in leaving the Bears for Kansas in his press conference earlier this year. (Watch the first two and a half minutes.)

As for his time at ASU, Likens coordinated the passing game along with WRs his first year, helping Manny Wilkins throw for over 3200 yards with 20 TDs and a completion percentage of 63.4%. He also coached up future NFL 1st rounder WR N’Keal Harry to go for 82 catches and 1142 yards with 8 touchdowns. WR Kyle Williams and Jalen Harvey also received more than 500 yards each that season. The following season, Likens would take over as OC and run a more rush balanced offense. Eno Benjamin had his break out year with 1642 yards and 16 touchdowns on 300 carries. Additionally, Wilkins had another 3000 yard season and Harry another 1000 yard season. Three other receivers would catch over 20 balls and account for 400+ yards each. This past season Likens helped develop true freshman QB Jayden Daniels, who threw for 2748 yards with 17 TDs and just 2 INTs. The offense also relied on Eno Benjamin who had 1083 yards on 253 carries with 10 TDs. Likens had another 1000 yard receiver in Brandon Aiyuk who had 1192 yards on 65 catches with 8 TDs.

Christopher_h’s analysis: Former ASU OC/QB coach Rob Likens led the Jayden Daniels offense, one with conservative play-calling as Likens was concerned for the safety of his undersized quarterback. ASU mainly ran the ball with their power RB Eno Benjamin while occasionally peppering in some short screen passes and QB run/slides.
Nick Kranz’s Take: Rob Likens is available because ASU’s offense undeniably took a big step backwards this year. But is that offensive step back Likens’ fault? ASU lost 1st round WR N’Keal Harry to the NFL, had to replace their QB with a true freshman, and had to replace four starters on the offensive line. As a result the ASU running game died (12th in the conference in yards/carry) and QB Jayden Daniels was often running for his life. So: we know about the pros Likens brings to the table - he’s a brilliant WR coach (all those guys at Cal, Harry and Aiyuk at ASU) and knows how to help build a strong passing game. He might be weaker in terms of his impact on the offensive line and the running game.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1992North Alabama (RB)
1993–1997North Alabama (WR)
1998–2003Temple (WR)
2004–2005Southeast Missouri State (OC/QB/WR)
2006–2009Central Connecticut (OC/QB)
2010–2012Louisiana Tech (AHC/QB)
2013California (AHC/OWR)
2014California (AHC/PGC/OWR)
2015–2016Kansas (OC/QB)
2017Arizona State (PGC/WR)
2018–2019Arizona State (OC/QB)

Not that it matters but I like the Asst HC & OC experience. don’t know much else about him, but I trust Lashlee.

Very interesting. Lashlee only spent 2 years learning the air raid offense under Dykes, so makes sense he’d want a WR/PGC assistant with air raid background. None of our coaches on staff have any air raid background, and none of those other candidates (Lamar, Cooney) do either.
This also tips us off on the direction Lashlee is looking to go with his offense. He left Malzahn and Auburn to have more control and start forging his own offense. Then he left UConn to work with Dykes at SMU to learn how to run the air raid, blended with his run spread concepts. Now Lashlee seems to be planning to continue to blend together those Dykes/air raid concepts with his background of run spread concepts. This also seems to be the direction many successful college playcallers are going in (Lincoln Riley, Joe Brady) - a blend of Air Raid and run spread concepts.

Advertisement
This also tips us off on the direction Lashlee is looking to go with his offense. He left Malzahn and Auburn to have more control and start forging his own offense. Then he left UConn to work with Dykes at SMU to learn how to run the air raid, blended with his run spread concepts. Now Lashlee seems to be planning to continue to blend together those Dykes/air raid concepts with his background of run spread concepts. This also seems to be the direction many successful college playcallers are going in (Lincoln Riley, Joe Brady) - a blend of Air Raid and run spread concepts.
Absolute fact.

If you don't like this dude because you want a stone cold killer on the recruiting trail, I get that, but outside of that I don't see a lot to really hate about this guy being hired.
It’s not hate for me. All I wanted to know about him is whether or not he’s even a good recruiter/evaluator. I follow college football more closely than just about anyone, and I don’t know anything other than the surface level bio stuff everyone is quoting here.

With the abundance of skill talent down here, I’d be happy with a great evaluator, and I’m hopeful with his experience around some pretty good college WRs that he might be a good evaluator.

We can’t afford more dead weight recruiters on this staff. Although, at this point, most of the dead weight is on D.

Advertisement
It’s pretty clear that a lot of y’all won’t be happy no matter who is named WR coach...

Bring in guys of the caliber of Darrell Wyatt, Bryan McClendon, or (pipedream) Dennis Simmons and most people will be happy. There's a gap between Likens and those names, in particular in terms of recruiting prowess.

But at least this is a name that makes a lot of sense within the offensive system most of us want to see run. In that regard, there's little to complain about.

We just got shut out by Louisiana Tech.

Development and execution are the only priorities. Recruiting will follow results.
Exactly! We need good coaches more then we need good Recruiters. When you only hire good Recruiters it builds terrible culture because these coaches told these players whatever they wanted to hear to get them here.

He's white but has a lot of experience.
It’s not hate for me. All I wanted to know about him is whether or not he’s even a good recruiter/evaluator. I follow college football more closely than just about anyone, and I don’t know anything other than the surface level bio stuff everyone is quoting here.

With the abundance of skill talent down here, I’d be happy with a great evaluator, and I’m hopeful with his experience around some pretty good college WRs that he might be a good evaluator.

We can’t afford more dead weight recruiters on this staff. Although, at this point, most of the dead weight is on D.
I follow college football more closely than just about anyone.

Advertisement
Again...We need to get stronger in Dade and Sofla...Field/Hickson/and the goof Banda, ain't enough imo. This is the perfect spot to get another recruiter on the staff.

I'm not trying to downplay the characteristics you just mentioned, and agree Likens has a nice bio. But I would go young/energetic/recruiter with this hire. These tri-county kids IMO, give two shyts about a Rob Likens.
Jesus himself isn’t gonna change Miami’s recruiting fortunes if Miami doesn’t improve on the field first.

UM just lost to FIU and Louisiana tech...talent isnt the problem. Once there’s competent coaching putting out a decent product, Miami will get better recruits.

****...give me an evaluator over a recruiter

Advertisement
Back