My Post Game recap (Long)

Macintosh was a beast today but the defensive line was suppose to be the strength of the defense. Although it's just the second game it hasn't looked dominant against weaker competition.

Teams are going to employ a short passing attack and enjoy riches all year long if the conerbacks don't become more physical. I've seen poor recognition by the safety ties there's no way they will cause many to's at this rate.

We stay in base defense no matter the offensive personal. Chad Thomas and Joe Jackson were both dropping into coverage today. That should never happen with those two. Do we not have a nickle or dime package or could we not get subs in fast enough? This has to be fixed asap.

Rosier is serviceable and aside from the interception, played ok. Still missed some easy throws that could have racked up some yac.

I'd like to see some crossing and drag routes specifically for Harley and Thomas. Let them use natural picks and their speed to get speration and space.

Both Walton and Homer are studs, but we need both to stay healthy. We have no depth behind them as Choc has never been impressive to me.

Today was a lot of bad, but they rebounded enough to pull out the win. They gotta improve in a hurry because things are going to get tougher.

Lol "pull out the win". We won by 3 tds. Game was over before the 4th.

Yeah that post was horrible. Making it sound like Rosier played "ok" was even better. Rosier looked really good.

Advertisement
I was sitting field level, right at the corner/tunnel where the team entered to go back to the locker rooms.

There was definitely "some" booing. They didn't get "booed off the field", but there were some unhappy folks.

I didn't boo out loud but I was booing the **** out of Delaney under my breath. Sickening how bad he his and overall how bad our secondary is.

+

Thanks for an honest assessment.

Macintosh was a beast today but the defensive line was suppose to be the strength of the defense. Although it's just the second game it hasn't looked dominant against weaker competition.

Teams are going to employ a short passing attack and enjoy riches all year long if the conerbacks don't become more physical. I've seen poor recognition by the safety ties there's no way they will cause many to's at this rate.

We stay in base defense no matter the offensive personal. Chad Thomas and Joe Jackson were both dropping into coverage today. That should never happen with those two. Do we not have a nickle or dime package or could we not get subs in fast enough? This has to be fixed asap.

Rosier is serviceable and aside from the interception, played ok. Still missed some easy throws that could have racked up some yac.

I'd like to see some crossing and drag routes specifically for Harley and Thomas. Let them use natural picks and their speed to get speration and space.

Both Walton and Homer are studs, but we need both to stay healthy. We have no depth behind them as Choc has never been impressive to me.

Today was a lot of bad, but they rebounded enough to pull out the win. They gotta improve in a hurry because things are going to get tougher.

It was 38-30 with under 8 minutes to go in the game, i wouldn't quite quantify that as "over before the 4th".

Not that worried about the D-line tbh. They haven't been able to eat because our alignment has been outright idiotic (Seam and Out route all day) and our CB , or at least Delany, gets cooked fast enough to disable our pass rush. Delaney new name is jamaican patty.. big but soft and easy to cook.

Yeah that post was horrible. Making it sound like Rosier played "ok" was even better. Rosier looked really good.

Maybe it was a touch harsh but Rosier missed some easy throws. He had a really nice second half besides the int.

Advertisement

Maybe it was a touch harsh but Rosier missed some easy throws. He had a really nice second half besides the int.

Every QB that's ever played this game misses throws. Rosier has looked about 6 levels above "competent" and brings a skill set which is a pretty good fit for what Richt wants to do.

If we're listing out the problems on this team Rosier is at the BOTTOM of the list. I'd argue he's one of the best players on the team right now. Basically I completely disagree with your assessment and I feel you are vastly underrating Rosier. He's the least of our problems.

Worry about the ****** secondary and overall defensive play. Rosier and Walton have pretty much carried us.

The main problem is Diaz. Everyone who followed football knew he was a terrible hire. Stats don't tell the whole story. We may get sacks a TFLs but 3rd downs have always been Diaz cryptonite. His gimmicky blitz no longer work as you can clearly see. His jig is up and coaches have him figures out. Tackling a problem? Gee I wonder why. Diaz brought that bull**** hawk style technique here. I get that it protects players but you need run through people and wrap up. Shaq was ding that bull**** hawk **** all game long and it cost him 5/6 tackles.

Special teams is still a disaster. MJ got really lucky. But why even get that close knowing it's 4th and 12? That's on coaching to explain this to the unit. Hartley is too ******* green to coach TEs and ST.

I'm not gonna kill Rumph, but what is he teaching these kids. The technique is terrible.

GET OUT OF BASE DEFENSE MANNY! Put someone in the slot not named JoeJackson/ Trent harris

It's spelled "Kryptonite", and he's far from a terrible hire. Do we have issues on D that he's responsible for right now? Most definitely we do, but it's way too early to call him terrible. That said, Delaney has no place on the field if he doesn't know if it's man or zone and he can't bump a WR at the line.

When you have teams that love to pass, and your strength is your DL, the smart thing to do is press and disrupt the quick routes, buying time for your DL.

***** coaches are afraid of giving up the big play so they'd rather play bend dont break.

Advertisement
When you have teams that love to pass, and your strength is your DL, the smart thing to do is press and disrupt the quick routes, buying time for your DL.

***** coaches are afraid of giving up the big play so they'd rather play bend dont break.

my god this. there was a play were it was like 3rd and 3. diaz brought the house kinda blitz. the receiver basically ran a three yard in route like it was a non contact scrimmage and got the easy conversion. the db played 2 yards off and just followed the receiver to the 1st down. what the **** is the point of bringing the house to give the qb only seconds to make a pass and you don't have the cb disrupt the **** route. the blitz almost got to him. had the cb got a half *** jam and forced the double pump the qb is sacked. diaz might not know what he's doing guys.

Offense is really missing Richards. He will help open up our other guys for sure.

Our first half ineptitude was less about missing Richards and more about horrible play calling. We saw what we can do when we open things up. For 6 quarters it looked like Rosier was playing with a third of the playbook. Had nothing to do with Richards being out, but Richt being too conservative. It took Walton going out for him to realize he had to make a change. Oh, and losing at home to Toledo at halftime.

Thompson would run 5 yards stop and turn. He did this maybe 5 out of 8 of his catches.

Why do u you guys constantly do it to yourselves everyear. "Richt is keeping it simple... he'll open it up during ACC" "Manny is just keeping it Vanilla until we play real teams".

People really think CMR is gonna magically become this offensive genius. He's shown enough of sample to conclude that we will be hot and cold alternating every quarter. It is what it is. He should of hired an OC when he first got here. Now he is stuck bc if he does hire an OC then the team has to learn an entirely new system.

Manny is what he is. He's not gonna change. He is Dorito part 2. Did any of dopes actually watch the game?

Strike 1: 3-4 patty cake was happening
Strike 2: slow delayed blitzs that never hit home
Strike 3: DEs covering grass
Strike 4: players looking confused
Strike 5: mass substitutions
Strike 6: base D in 3/4/5 wide with slot never covered
Strike 7: horrible tackling

This had the feel of any Golden game. You guys will remember "that" feeling forever. We won, but felt like we lost. It's one of the worst feelings.

We should be able to have a competent defense no matter who is in the secondary.

One day UM admin will get it right

Probably wouldn't need to learn a new system. I don't think there is anything wrong with what we're doing. It just feels like we have to spend the first half of a game trying to figure out what exactly we want to do. Having a dedicated OC who focuses on that answer before we are lined up to play the game would help get us over the hump and quickly. We have too much athleticism to be fencing with some of these teams like we do.

It's kind of the opposite problem we had with Coley. He came out firing, but when he was out of bullets, he could never reload.

Agree with you on Diaz today. I think we are trying to do too much and in some cases, being so aggressive for what feels like the helluva it. When you dial up the pressure from the defensive front, you increase it on the defensive backfield and there doesn't seem to be any accounting for the fact our secondary isn't there yet.

And we don't have the centerfielder at safety for some of those coverages either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
of all the concerns i had about the offense in the off season the only big one left for me is mcdoormat. he's ok i guess in pass protection but gets zero push in the run game. will wait to play better defenses before i comment more on the offense.

on defense the trifecta of diaz/rumph/banda is going to cost us games. it is painfully obvious that diaz has no clue how to stop a passing attack. if you told me at the end of last season that jenkins/carter/colbert would make an nfl roster i would have laughed in your face. but after watching last years games, hearing the praise those guys are getting, and the first two games its even more obvious diaz doesn't understand todays passing game. guy had 4 nfl players and still couldn't get it done. it makes me hesitant to call out the current db's. i'll give a pass to the dline. nobody's running all over them and its hard to sack the qb when they're playing pitch and catch all day.

Luckily toledos wr's covered themselves better than our scheme and the db's. Dudes were dropping wide open passes.

Advertisement
We scored 52 points for crying out loud even with Walton out 2 quarters. Offense is fine. We couldnt blitz Whiteside because he had a quick release and he was too smart. He is the best QB we will face all year. ALL he does all day is analyse defenses and takes a couple online courses as a grad student. Vegas line was 14.5 for good reason Toledo is a good football team.

of all the concerns i had about the offense in the off season the only big one left for me is mcdoormat. he's ok i guess in pass protection but gets zero push in the run game. will wait to play better defenses before i comment more on the offense.

on defense the trifecta of diaz/rumph/banda is going to cost us games. it is painfully obvious that diaz has no clue how to stop a passing attack. if you told me at the end of last season that jenkins/carter/colbert would make an nfl roster i would have laughed in your face. but after watching last years games, hearing the praise those guys are getting, and the first two games its even more obvious diaz doesn't understand todays passing game. guy had 4 nfl players and still couldn't get it done. it makes me hesitant to call out the current db's. i'll give a pass to the dline. nobody's running all over them and its hard to sack the qb when they're playing pitch and catch all day.

couldn't get what done? our passing defense was very good last year... hence the guys in the NFL lol. some of you guys are just making things up.

we cannot run up the middle. havent in years. so why do so at the goal line? that is the biggest complaint i have.

everyone was rusty, including the coaches. next week will tell me more than today

couldn't get what done? our passing defense was very good last year... hence the guys in the NFL lol. some of you guys are just making things up.

rewatch the games, so many third and longs were converted via the pass. didn't give up any 80 yard td's though so i guess you're right.

Advertisement
Back