My Post Game recap (Long)

of all the concerns i had about the offense in the off season the only big one left for me is mcdoormat. he's ok i guess in pass protection but gets zero push in the run game. will wait to play better defenses before i comment more on the offense.

on defense the trifecta of diaz/rumph/banda is going to cost us games. it is painfully obvious that diaz has no clue how to stop a passing attack. if you told me at the end of last season that jenkins/carter/colbert would make an nfl roster i would have laughed in your face. but after watching last years games, hearing the praise those guys are getting, and the first two games its even more obvious diaz doesn't understand todays passing game. guy had 4 nfl players and still couldn't get it done. it makes me hesitant to call out the current db's. i'll give a pass to the dline. nobody's running all over them and its hard to sack the qb when they're playing pitch and catch all day.

couldn't get what done? our passing defense was very good last year... hence the guys in the NFL lol. some of you guys are just making things up.

Ray Ray Charles must not pay attention to alignments and scheme. For the second time in two games we were beaten in pre snap. Schematically beaten before the play started.

Advertisement
of all the concerns i had about the offense in the off season the only big one left for me is mcdoormat. he's ok i guess in pass protection but gets zero push in the run game. will wait to play better defenses before i comment more on the offense.

on defense the trifecta of diaz/rumph/banda is going to cost us games. it is painfully obvious that diaz has no clue how to stop a passing attack. if you told me at the end of last season that jenkins/carter/colbert would make an nfl roster i would have laughed in your face. but after watching last years games, hearing the praise those guys are getting, and the first two games its even more obvious diaz doesn't understand todays passing game. guy had 4 nfl players and still couldn't get it done. it makes me hesitant to call out the current db's. i'll give a pass to the dline. nobody's running all over them and its hard to sack the qb when they're playing pitch and catch all day.

couldn't get what done? our passing defense was very good last year... hence the guys in the NFL lol. some of you guys are just making things up.

All manny does is give up 3rd n longs.

I agree 100% op....Our biggest issues are Coach Diaz and then the secondary.

In our Secondary... Dee Delaney and Michael Jackson are both terrible. Redwine would've been better than both if he stayed at corner. I'd rather start Malek Young and Trajan Bandy.

Speaking of Sheldrick Redwine he is our best safety, not great but solid with potential. Unfortunately Jaquan Johnson has become a liability up to this point. His lack of athleticism is making him look bad out there especially bc he lacks ideal height. That TD went right over his stretched finger tips...

Any other db would've had a better chance at an INT or deflection, including Young and Bandy. Besjdes that hes just always late and looks lost a lot of the times.

JJ is more of a linebacker / nickel back just not seeing starting caliber safety. Amari Carter is just as much of a liability in coverage maybe even more than JJ. Linebacker is probably his future position which isn't a knock bc he does have potential.

I still think we are good enough to win the coastal and potential acc title bc we have a team that keeps fighting and gets better in the 2nd half

Redwine has potential now that's funny.

Advertisement
beautiful post as usual liberty

I'd like to see amari carter start and try shifting redwine back to corner

delaney needs to be benched, it's early I get it but this is simply inexcusable. Let him sit, watch, and calm the *** down. He's mentally rattled, he can't be this bad. Scouts don't give a guy a 5th round projection and then watch that same guy not even cut it on his college team.. it's just bizarre

I think richt needs to learn to handle criticism better as well, when asked about delaney he's defended him.. it's pathetic

look at rosiers stats, who thought we'd see that vs even toledo back in spring?

Just about every poster in this thread knows more about defensive and offensive play calling than our coaches. We are lucky to have so many NFL coaches contributing in the forum.

Just about every poster in this thread knows more about defensive and offensive play calling than our coaches. We are lucky to have so many NFL coaches contributing in the forum.

I am usually of the belief that the coaches know more than the average poster, but after the last coaching regime, I don't know who to believe anymore.

Nice write up, but damnnn can these guys get into their flow first?!? Keep in mind they barely got to practice and get on rhythm.It's like you all play NCAA on freshmen mode and want The same result from Miami. The only issue we have right now is our pass defense. They really need to get them going, because right now it's bad. The front seven is awesome!! And I agree, Dee Delaney needs to just stay on special team cause he's straight trash, poo, not good... all of the above. Miami is doing good, and going to be much be better come conference play. Richt play calling was great. How else would you explain 600 yards of offense and 52 points?!?!?

Advertisement

All manny does is give up 3rd n longs.

It's not a new thing to Miami either. Same **** everywhere he's been.

Ah yes the first "the coaches are infallible and your eyes are deceiving you" porst of 2017!

The long layoff was very much evident with the Defense. I agree that they looked gassed. Now, hopefully we can finally get into game shape at Duke next week.

I was OK with the offense overall. A few things to clean up, but I'm just so **** glad to have a mobile QB who can move the chains and to see the playbook opened up a bit. Agree that Richt needs a full-time bonafide OC tactician. Against top competition, the Richt/Brown/Richt Jr show ain't gonna cut it.

The defense.... It's glaringly evident that this unit is predicated on stopping the run. I like the front 7 against the run. Their achilles however is short pass teams. Some of it was conditioning, but most of it was personnel and scheme. The schemes at times were just bad, and the secondary did not play well as a cohesive unit. And yes - I think Diaz needs to stop allowing mismatches that exploit the secondary. We desperately need secondary guys who can cover and tackle better.

The good thing is that Toledo has a **** of an offense, so that was a good prep and measuring stick for our pass defense. Now, Diaz and Co. need to get to work quickly and figure out the best personnel and schemes for quick pass offenses, but that's two games now that our deficiencies are clear as day on tape for opposing coaches.

We're gonna see more of the pass attack until we prove that we can stop it.

delaney needs to be benched, it's early I get it but this is simply inexcusable. Let him sit, watch, and calm the *** down. He's mentally rattled, he can't be this bad. Scouts don't give a guy a 5th round projection and then watch that same guy not even cut it on his college team.. it's just bizarre

I think richt needs to learn to handle criticism better as well, when asked about delaney he's defended him.. it's pathetic

The opposite - I'd like to see Carter start and shift JJ back to nickle cornerback.

He doesn't have the range to play S.

Advertisement
One positive: in two games Malik Rosier did something Brad Kaaya never did.

He won a game we trailed at halftime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy that the defense looks poor but the biggest complaint I keep seeing is the offensive playcalling. It’s not the most imaginative out there but I see guys running open constantly. The defense imo is a cluster**** at the moment and that worries me more than anything else.

Advertisement
Big difference between The Citadel & UM.

View attachment 50325

Okay, the Elephant in the room is obvious, the **** Defense has regressed from last year.
I'll hold my L on that one, because I absolutely thought we would be better & play like we did in the 2nd half of the season.
And yes, I crowned Diaz too early, but **** wtf is going on out there?!?

- Dee Delaney is flat out terrible, I mean he's just awful, no physicality at all! He plays like he's afraid of contact or something, it's as if he doesn't know how to Press cover whatsoever, he hasn't jammed a WR once all season.
Dude is big as ****, but plays like a 5'6 160lbs CB on JV who's nervous as ****.
Put his *** on the bench, give me Dean or just start Young & Bandy, but Mike Jack & Delaney played like ****.

- Quan Johnson is playing all over the place, there seems to be some major miscommunications with the Secondary, the Safety's & CB's have no earthly idea what the **** they're supposed to be running out there. There were way too many times they thought we were in Zone we were in Man & left WR's wide the **** open all **** game long.

- The LB's & Defense in general are playing a step behind on every play, we're not getting TFL's like we did last year, every **** play is a gain & they're always getting up looking around like they're confused on what they're supposed to do play in & play out.

- Thud technique needs to be abolished from Miami for good!
Not tackling all offseason & during practice throughout the week has reared its ugly head on game day.
Our tackling is below ****in average right now, most of the large gains are coming off the fact the first guy to the ball is not sticking or wrapping up, this is not acceptable & not Miami style Defensive Football.

On a positive note, I like what I saw from the Run Defense & the DL's RJ McIntosh, Moten, Chad Thomas & JJack played well.

On Offense, I actually like what I'm seeing from Rosier, that 1INT was a poor decision on his part but it was mainly due to miscommunications with the WR. Other than that, I like his mobility and think he performs well when we go uptempo.

Mark Walton is a pure savage, one of the 5 best players on the team & my personal favorite.
He's the lifeblood of this team. The kid is tough as nails & is overall the leader of this team.
Richt's gotta stop calling those runs where he has to get behind those pulling Guards, he's gonna get him killed lol (And yes I know Homer scored on the same play, Walton is a different back, needs simple runs where he can jump cut & get out in open space).

Homer's really gonna be a beast for us, I love his running style & think he's a very good WR out of the backfield as well, he's the perfect combo to go with Walton, I feel good about the Backs we'll have next year (Lingard & Davis) with Homer once Walton goes to the draft.

Liked what I saw from Harley despite the one drop, I wanna see him run more deep routes, I feel like they need to unleash him & JT.
Berrios looked good, he looked faster than I've ever seen him run his entire time here, its about time he gets used properly.
Happy for Harris to finally get a TD & Cager needs to be more involved as well, he's really recovered nicely from his injury.

The problem with the Offense overall is Coach Richt's playcalling imo. I think our Offense is good, but not as good as it could be, and the only thing we're really missing is a Lab technician Offensive Coordinator who spends all of his time just looking at mismatches to exploit & architecting pure Offensive firepower.

I like Richt a lot, but sometimes wearing multiple hats isn't always the best option for a HC.
Saban is a Defensive guru, but he's not the DC, he 100% is involved in the Defensive game planning from game to game, but he's wise enough to realize some things need to be delegated.
**** even Urby Liar who built his reputation on being an Offensive architect has an OC, we know he's involved in every aspect of their game planning, but he still has an OC to delegate to.

I'm not saying Richt should have nothing to do with the playcalling, I'm saying, he needs a full time OC to delegate to, not just an OC in title, but a guy who he can collaborate with, so it's not all just Richt by himself while trying to do multiple things at one time.

Overall, I'm not in panic mode, long season to go & a lot football to be played. But, this Defense really needs to step the **** up & play some **** ball or we're gonna be in trouble when it counts the most.

I think we'll still win the Coastal, but it's not going to be a cakewalk by any means.

This was an excellent post, El. I share many of the same thoughts - just posted about the miscommunication and lack of jamming by the CBs in another thread.

I'm with you on the dedicated OC. Richt's playbook is too vanilla. Looks like it's from the original Madden.

We had a long thread when I was concerned about our goal line offense, and you and several others said we can spread it out, do so many other things. But it's starting to become clear that Richt simply doesn't have those kind of wrinkles up his sleeve.

I'm also not worried (yet). We will drop some games, but everyone else will too. I believe our season comes down to the Va Tech game, and they look good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back