MSU hires Mel Tucker

As a job, I'd take Colorado over Michigan State right now. But I'm sure they dropped a big bag in front of him. Can't imagine this will help his recruiting too much in East Lansing though...

Sidenote: this is why players should be able to transfer and not have to sit out. CU just had kids sign last week, now the coach is gone. Messed up

"People with knowledge of Tucker’s deal with the Spartans said it doubles his Colorado coaching salary pool (which was $3.15 million in 2019), includes a substantial increase to the Michigan State strength and conditioning staff budget and program resources and will more than double Tucker’s Colorado salary, which is around $2.7 million."

Tough to pass that up along with a widening revenue gap between the B1G conference and the PAC12. Guess he believed that Michigan State was less of a rebuilding job than Colorado. His hometown (Cleveland) is only 3 and half hours away as well.

Players should be free to go where they want though

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Considering the situation at MSU this is a homerun hire. Dude would have been everyone's first choice had he put together a 9/10 win season at Colorado. Sounds like MSU is going to put the machine behind him so recruiting is about to get interest up there in the B1G.

Advertisement
I won’t hate a man for trying to get money but ****. Don’t go on a huge media tour touting the virtues of being a Colorado Buffalo, while publicly chastising kids who want to transfer just before you quit being a Buffalo and take another job at a different school. Zero integrity

I remember when Colorado was good. They had kordell stewart and eric bieniemy and they beat Notre Dame for a national championship and played for another one.

What the **** happened to them? Now they're losing coaches to Michigan State.
Boulder is a great environment. It's beautiful and a great place for smoking pot and living that hippy life. But, let's face it: The Big Ten has more $$$ on and off the books devoted to football.

MSU got nervous when everyone including Tucker turned them down the 1st time. They might have been better doing what Ohio State did when Tressel was fired and hire someone as the interim and then go our next year when they have a bigger candidate pool.

Considering the money theyre gonna cough up for Tucker including buyouts and whatever staff he brings in plus paying DAntoni salary and the remaining salaries for his asst and the money the school is dishing out for all the sexual assault stuff.... wow!

Advertisement
MSU got nervous when everyone including Tucker turned them down the 1st time. They might have been better doing what Ohio State did when Tressel was fired and hire someone as the interim and then go our next year when they have a bigger candidate pool.

Considering the money theyre gonna cough up for Tucker including buyouts and whatever staff he brings in plus paying DAntoni salary and the remaining salaries for his asst and the money the school is dishing out for all the sexual assault stuff.... wow!
Plus, who knows if he's any good? He went 5-7 last year...he's 2-3 as an interim hc in the pros...great that he has pro experience...and has Nicky Satan on his resume...but it's not like he's Urban Meyer.

I remember when Colorado was good. They had kordell stewart and eric bieniemy and they beat Notre Dame for a national championship and played for another one.

What the **** happened to them? Now they're losing coaches to Michigan State.
If I remember correctly, Bill McCartney recruited Los Angeles HARD and for a while a bunch of kids from Los Angeles went out there to play.

I won’t hate a man for trying to get money but ****. Don’t go on a huge media tour touting the virtues of being a Colorado Buffalo, while publicly chastising kids who want to transfer just before you quit being a Buffalo and take another job at a different school. Zero integrity

"There's no transfer portal for the real world," then leaving a week after 24 commits signed on the dotted line (22 from OOS) shows the house of the cards the NCAA and its beneficiaries have been operating in

Advertisement
Advertisement
Plus, who knows if he's any good? He went 5-7 last year...he's 2-3 as an interim hc in the pros...great that he has pro experience...and has Nicky Satan on his resume...but it's not like he's Urban Meyer.

There's actually a preponderance of evidence that he is indeed not good at all. Corch level not good.

Advertisement
Back