More thoughts on the game

I said this in another thread, if you've ever read my posts before and remember some of the **** I pound the table for...running the football in volume has been one of my tentpole issues for this team for years under multiple head coaches. We ran the ball 52 times. I don't think we've run 52 times in a football game since the forward pass was invented (seriously, someone look it up...its the most we've had in at least 30 years). This should be the strength of the offense. We've got three stallions in the backfield. Work that inside zone until your eyes bleed. Garin Justice OL have traditionally been very good run blockers and I thought the unit played well in the run game this week. Jarrid Williams and DJ Scaife on the right side will be a problem for many teams. I thought Campbell on the left side did well sealing his side and getting backs free for big runs, too.
The carries are similar to when we played CUSA/MAC teams in 2018 and had Rosier/Perry running RPO's

2020 vs. UAB
- 52 - 337 - 6.5 ypc - 3 TD's
2018 vs. Toledo - 53 - 268 - 5.1 ypc - 5 TD's
2018 vs. FIU - 49 - 248 - 5.1 ypc - 1 TD

I'd say the overall carries are just reflective of having a running QB

The good news - we had much higher YPC - we've got 3 RB's and a QB who can hit home runs on the ground. We're stacked.

The bad news - we threw for more yds & had multiple 30+ yd pass plays in both 2018 games. Last night the 2 longest pass plays were 25 & 15 yds.

The worry about the pass game should be real. Our next games are Louisville, FSU, Clemson. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of giving things time this year - the passing game needs to be more effective right now.

Advertisement
I thought the DT unit played well. They got good push all night long and made several plays in the backfield. Relative to expectations, it was the DEs who underwhelmed, IMO.

They got a push at times, but inconsistent imo , I Just expected better from Ford , nesta and Miller. Especially with the competition. The best pressure was on blitzes De’s were very underwhelming. But I wasn’t sure what to expect from them. I’m not stressing much , just a little disappointed. It’s game one.

Advertisement
It seems like people forgot what we looked like the last few times we hit the fiekd before last night. Was it perfect? No. But I predicted 38-17 so I was expecting a similar type of game. It’s a solid starting off point and a vast improvement over last year. UAB is better than FIU and La Tech.

But If this is how the board is after a 17 point win, this is going to be another season where I can’t stand spending any time on here. Miserable mfs.

Little surprised by tge negativity??????

We looked like crap again. If you think manny is going to do anything good with this team you are mentally retarded.

Advertisement
I like the pace, and I like that we're running the ball down other team's throats this year.

We made UAB's defense quit. We kept jamming the ball down their throat, and in the end they just gave up. They had no fight in them there at the end.... because we took it from them.

That mentality is going to be good for the Canes. We're not gonna just beat you with flash and gimmicks, we're gonna rip out your soul and stomp on it by jamming the ball right up your gut, and you're not gonna stop it.

This whole team will get a lot tougher if we keep doing that, and we've needed to get tougher for a long time IMO

Little surprised by tge negativity??????

We looked like crap again. If you think manny is going to do anything good with this team you are mentally retarded.

Every problem we showed can be fixed IMO. You can win a lot of games if you're elite at QB, RB, and defensive line. If your biggest problem is wide receiver, you're doing OK.

The only thing we're missing is an elite offensive line. But I gotta admit, we looked a lot better there than last year... a lot better.

Just gotta get used to ground and pound football as a fan. Defense and running the ball, wearing teams down. Old school ball.

Advertisement
agree with those takes.. one thing that continues to **** me off though is the over usage of walk ons. i saw a wr get meaningful snaps.. not sure i saw the san diego kid or restrepo in all game. Saw a LB walk on get in there for meaningful snaps, but don't remember seeing huff. 2 walk ons on punt return team- no wonder pope has no room to do anything on that fumble play- we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage every time we do this. if one kid works hard enough and can make some plays, great- but you are losing out on athleticism that really shows. This tradition was brought here by Richt, and Diaz appears to have doubled down on it.

but yeah, there is reason to be optimistic overall.
If a walk on is showing more during the week then the scholarship kid, let the walk-on get PT. At least against a P5 team. Maybe it’ll embarrass the Scholly guys.

We’ve
Offense - was very vanilla (my guess is on purpose). Hopefully OL gets better with more time/reps together and WRs flash a little more once we install more passing concepts and King gets clicking better

Defense - LB and CB (Ivey) are weaknesses. I'm sorry but McCloud just doesn't seem to have it. Don't remember seeing him make a play at all last night. Give me more Brooks and Keontra especially against Louisville next game. Even play Frierson and Keontra at the same time. We need speed at LB. Ivey needs to figure it out. Gotta make a play on the ball, he always is right there but doesn't seem to have to instincts to make a play. Rumph should really be gone if we don't see better play and more plays (INTs) this year.
The one consistent theme around here the last 5 years... waiting for the playbook to open.

Totally agree that Pope needs replacing as punt return. Way too loose with the ball & potential turnover machine. Other major disappointment was the offensive line. Kudos to them for fitness level in fast-pace offense. That said, King had little time to set up and too often had to rely on his feet to make plays. If Williams or Perry were back there, you'd have seen at least 5-6 sacks. Will decline comment on Ivey.
I’m not sure that’s a win last night with either of those qbs. When Perry was in he looked brutal I thought. And that super selfish keep late in the game. Just boot the kid to third team already, give TVD those looks.

Advertisement
That was a 35-7 game without the Pope fumble and King's miss of Payton in the end zone with no UAB defender in the zip code. Also, we actively tried not to score and just run clock the whole 4th.

Pros:
Run game
King's escapablity
D Ends
Safeties

Cons:
Oline struggled mightily in pass protection (especially when UAB brought pressure...guys had free runs at King all night)
No receiver flashed
Those starting LBs (Jennings and McCloud) are painfully slow. Brooks and Steed looked MUCH better
Ivey and Pope LOL
Such a BS post. The same plans were run in the 4th quarter as the rest of the game. Welcome to the ignore list

Advertisement
Back