More thoughts on the game

Agreed with most of the post, especially congrats to all for getting the team out there playing.

On Pope, he muffed his first PR attempt and then made another one an adventure by running laterally on his own 4 yardline, so, yeah, he makes me nervous. But putting a true frosh on PR?

Advertisement
Pope is on thin ice with me too.
If he muffs or fumbles another one just let Hall do it. He looked secure when he caught the ball.

They got a push at times, but inconsistent imo , I Just expected better from Ford , nesta and Miller. Especially with the competition. The best pressure was on blitzes De’s were very underwhelming. But I wasn’t sure what to expect from them. I’m not stressing much , just a little disappointed. It’s game one.
I’ll expand on ur point. I wasn’t a fan of the amount of blitzing and stunting we did. I believe our Dline is good enough to generate pressure on its own. Also our blitzes are not good the guys are always coming from too far out to make pressure felt like a good team would rape us when we blitz

Not sure if anyone saw it but one thing that made me happy is seeing the block Mallory got on the 4th & 1 TD run by Cam. He looked stronger than last year and held his block all the way through. This offense needs to run through the TE's and the RB's until the WR's catch up.

Force feed Brevin Jordan in the middle of the field & everything else will open up. He’s our best player by a mile. Nobody is close besides King.

Advertisement
The OL wasnt that bad. some of them rushes were based on Kings decisions.

On the one big run Jennings was held.

our wr's are trash. we need payton and another young kid to step up ASAP. you dont win big with kids like harley and pope.

Ivy-see harley and pope

Side note, i was really happy with what i saw from brooks, nesta, and BJ.

i was told rhett held back for L-ville and that they pulled their foot off once they turned it on and felt lead was safe to avoid injuries. I was also told Likens is very unhappy with WR play
We’re you told anything about how Diaz, flake or Dumph feel about the CB play? Specifically the play of Ivey? Please tell me something here my friend. Smh

yes, the offense is simple. But we ran the ball over 50 times. We aren't going to do that every single game. The focus on the run and running over, on top, of around UAB was the goal. UAB was loading the box with 7-8 people and blitzing 6 the majority of the game.

There was zero need to open up the play book until the third qtr when it was 17-14. We then score 14 pts with average drive times of 2 mins each.

We will run the ball and while the offense is simple, it will be mixed up more as we go along. That motion flat route to Brevin was beautiful. We will have more RPO. we will have more screens, we will have more passing in future games.

I'm not saying this **** is going to be super complex and we run 40 plays. But I do think the 6-7 plays we ran this game will be the foundation and we will add another 15-20.

There is plenty of film of King hitting deep passes in college football.

He missed some he usually makes. Remember, he hasn’t played much in two years and has been dealing with incredible adversity off the field.

Overall, he commanded the game like a QB and made timely plays like a playmaker.
It's sad but my favorite part was seeing plays that were dead and he just escaped and threw the ball away. Last year that's a sack for a loss of ten every time. Those plays make a huge difference.

It's sad but my favorite part was seeing plays that were dead and he just escaped and threw the ball away. Last year that's a sack for a loss of ten every time. Those plays make a huge difference.

Saddest part is our OL getting it's **** pushed in by a 2 star DL... nothing much has changed

Advertisement
And here's another thing. Despite the throwaways under pressure, and missing wide open players for TDs, our QB who can't hit water from a boat managed to complete two-thirds of his passes.

Not sure if anyone saw it but one thing that made me happy is seeing the block Mallory got on the 4th & 1 TD run by Cam. He looked stronger than last year and held his block all the way through. This offense needs to run through the TE's and the RB's until the WR's catch up.

I saw that as well lol

Advertisement
UAB also played almost exclusive man coverage and when King sees a bunch of guys with their backs to him, he's taking off and running every time.
and this is what King said in the presser last night:
The OL wasnt that bad. some of them rushes were based on Kings decisions.

On the one big run Jennings was held.

our wr's are trash. we need payton and another young kid to step up ASAP. you dont win big with kids like harley and pope.

Ivy-see harley and pope

Side note, i was really happy with what i saw from brooks, nesta, and BJ.

i was told rhett held back for L-ville and that they pulled their foot off once they turned it on and felt lead was safe to avoid injuries. I was also told Likens is very unhappy with WR play
Will Mallory had alot of preseason accolades. Didn't get a single target all game. I'd like to see him get some of those WR targets vs Louisville.

They have NFL level guys, at least guys that’ll get shots. And a really good run defense. We ran for 330 yards and our fans are claiming the OL got their **** pushed in.
To me UAB is at least a low caliber ACC team. Physically they didn't look much different then a wake forest, duke, syracuse, or virginia

The tempo and pounding broke UAB in the 3rd quarter, but it looked like it eventually cracked Miami in the early 4th quarter too. There was a drive with multiple holding calls around 11:00 mins remaining where OL was reaching and sloppy footwork. After that drive it looked like Miami was content to run out the clock and get N'kosi some reps. With the COVID situation, I can't blame them for wanting to get QB2 real reps
Exactly what I saw. Conditioning should improve as the year rolls along.

Advertisement
The carries are similar to when we played CUSA/MAC teams in 2018 and had Rosier/Perry running RPO's

2020 vs. UAB - 52 - 337 - 6.5 ypc - 3 TD's
2018 vs. Toledo - 53 - 268 - 5.1 ypc - 5 TD's
2018 vs. FIU - 49 - 248 - 5.1 ypc - 1 TD

I'd say the overall carries are just reflective of having a running QB

The good news - we had much higher YPC - we've got 3 RB's and a QB who can hit home runs on the ground. We're stacked.

The bad news - we threw for more yds & had multiple 30+ yd pass plays in both 2018 games. Last night the 2 longest pass plays were 25 & 15 yds.

The worry about the pass game should be real. Our next games are Louisville, FSU, Clemson. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of giving things time this year - the passing game needs to be more effective right now.

Good post and good look on that Toledo game. Quick look at the box, I guess there were a few knees to end the game that also count with that 53, so I'll still contend that Miami's 52 against UAB is a ridiculous total for Miami in recent vintage.

To me UAB is at least a low caliber ACC team. Physically they didn't look much different then a wake forest, duke, syracuse, or virginia
Defensively they’re better than some ACC teams. Offensively, they’re not very talented. They do have a ton of seniors and I thought their OC had a great game plan but just not enough horses to move the ball consistently against a quality P5 defense/

Advertisement
Back