More thoughts on the game

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
- It's a good thing the game was on ACC Network. Both teams played hard, but it had the feel of a preseason game. That should be expected given the circumstances.

- Salute to Manny, Frenk and the players for pulling it off. First P5 game in a pandemic, fans in the stands, no positive tests. Many of us thought this day would not come.

- I'm a little surprised by the negativity on here. No, we aren't ready to go Charlotte right now, and Louisville will be a big test. But our last game was a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. We scored 31 and covered against a decent defense. We also played a very clean game penalty-wise (3/30) and tackling-wise, which reflects coaching.

- King is a real QB. He wasn't clicking on all cylinders, and he missed a couple gimmes. But his true dual threat ability (extending his NCAA-record run/pass TD streak) and ability to respond to adversity are two things we haven't had in forever.

- The OL made King work too hard. UAB does not have a bad pass rush (29th in sack rate last year) but there are better DLs on the schedule.

- Like we mentioned on the training camp podcasts, the defining feature of this offense will be explosive runs. We have three backs with gamebreaking speed and they all make an impact. We don't have the 4-6 yard workhorse, but any big run can be a house call. The pace plays up that advantage. We outrushed a run-based team 337-80.

- Still lacking a go-to WR. The group was underwhelming. I would pull Pope on PR. He can stay on KR, but I want a smart player at PR. Osborn, Dallas and Berrios were all smart and they are all in the NFL. Give me Restrepo.

- The DL looks like it should look. UAB couldn't run and their passing game was limited by Miami's pass rush. There was only one sack, but UAB's playbook was severely limited by their inability to drop back and throw. They punted 11 times.

- The LBs played fine but will be tested by a more dynamic Louisville running game. We will miss Shaq. It would be nice to see more Sam Brooks. His speed flashes every time he plays.

- Disappointing to see DJ Ivey continue to struggle playing the ball. He needs to make sure his confident doesn't sag like last year, or he could lose his spot to Couch. Overall, though, there is too much negativity on the secondary. UAB only passed for 5.9 yards per attempt, which is a Top 5 defensive number nationally over the course of a season. Better teams will have more success, and UAB left plays on the field, but overall I expect the secondary to play at its usual level under Manny.

- Special teams looked much improved. Borregales has a leg and the punting game was awesome.

Advertisement
- It's a good thing the game was on ACC Network. Both teams played hard, but it had the feel of a preseason game. That should be expected given the circumstances.

- Salute to Manny and Frenk to pulling it off. First P5 game in a pandemic, fans in the stands, no positive tests. Many of us thought this day would not come.

- I'm a little surprised by the negativity on here. No, we aren't ready to go Charlotte right now, and Louisville will be a big test. But our last game was a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. We scored 31 and covered against a decent defense. We also played a very clean game penalty-wise (3/30) and tackling-wise, which reflects coaching.

- King is a real QB. He wasn't clicking on all cylinders, and he missed a couple gimmes. But his true dual threat ability (extending his NCAA-record run/pass TD streak) and ability to respond to adversity are two things we haven't had in forever.

- The OL made King work too hard. UAB does not have a bad pass rush (29th in sack rate last year) but there are better DLs on the schedule.

- Like we mentioned on the training camp podcasts, the defining feature of this offense will be explosive runs. We have three backs with gamebreaking speed and they all make an impact. We don't have the 4-6 yard workhorse, but any big run can be a house call. The pace plays up that advantage. We outrushed a run-based team 337-80.

- Still lacking a go-to WR. The group was underwhelming. I would pull Pope on PR. He can stay on KR, but I want a smart player at PR. Osborn, Dallas and Berrios were all smart and they are all in the NFL. Give me Restrepo.

- The DL looks like it should look. UAB couldn't run and their passing game was limited by Miami's pass rush. There was only one sack, but UAB's playbook was severely limited by their inability to drop back and throw. They punted 11 times.

- The LBs played fine but will be tested by a more dynamic Louisville running game. We will miss Shaq. It would be nice to see more Sam Brooks. His speed flashes every time he plays.

- Disappointing to see DJ Ivey continue to struggle playing the ball. He needs to make sure his confident doesn't sag like last year, or he could lose his spot to Couch. Overall, though, there is too much negativity on the secondary. UAB only passed for 5.9 yards per attempt, which is a Top 5 defensive number nationally over the course of a season. Better teams will do better, but overall I expect the secondary to play at its usual level under Manny.

- Special teams looked much improved. Borregales has a leg and the punting game was awesome.
@DMoney tell me thad franklin isn’t drooling to play in this offense. True freshman getting serious run. Should appease his concerns.

You're right. At the end of the day we are just worn out seeing many of the same deficiencies carry from season to season. We are better at QB & K, but there are pieces missing in the staff, starting at the top. Will make a better judgment after the next 4 weeks.

Advertisement
agree with those takes.. one thing that continues to **** me off though is the over usage of walk ons. i saw a wr get meaningful snaps.. not sure i saw the san diego kid or restrepo in all game. Saw a LB walk on get in there for meaningful snaps, but don't remember seeing huff. 2 walk ons on punt return team- no wonder pope has no room to do anything on that fumble play- we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage every time we do this. if one kid works hard enough and can make some plays, great- but you are losing out on athleticism that really shows. This tradition was brought here by Richt, and Diaz appears to have doubled down on it.

but yeah, there is reason to be optimistic overall.

- Salute to Manny and Frenk to pulling it off. First P5 game in a pandemic, fans in the stands, no positive tests. Many of us thought this day would not come.

- Disappointing to see DJ Ivey continue to struggle playing the ball. He needs to make sure his confident doesn't sag like last year, or he could lose his spot to Couch. Overall, though, there is too much negativity on the secondary. UAB only passed for 5.9 yards per attempt, which is a Top 5 defensive number nationally over the course of a season. Better teams will have more success, and UAB left plays on the field, but overall I expect the secondary to play at its usual level under Manny.

The film doesn’t lie

agree with those takes.. one thing that continues to **** me off though is the over usage of walk ons. i saw a wr get meaningful snaps.. not sure i saw the san diego kid or restrepo in all game. Saw a LB walk on get in there for meaningful snaps, but don't remember seeing huff. 2 walk ons on punt return team- no wonder pope has no room to do anything on that fumble play- we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage every time we do this. if one kid works hard enough and can make some plays, great- but you are losing out on athleticism that really shows. This tradition was brought here by Richt, and Diaz appears to have doubled down on it.

but yeah, there is reason to be optimistic overall.
100% agree, this isn't tee-ball and not all kids should play. I don't care if they're good people or whatever, this is Miami for ***** sake.

Advertisement
Offense - was very vanilla (my guess is on purpose). Hopefully OL gets better with more time/reps together and WRs flash a little more once we install more passing concepts and King gets clicking better

Defense - LB and CB (Ivey) are weaknesses. I'm sorry but McCloud just doesn't seem to have it. Don't remember seeing him make a play at all last night. Give me more Brooks and Keontra especially against Louisville next game. Even play Frierson and Keontra at the same time. We need speed at LB. Ivey needs to figure it out. Gotta make a play on the ball, he always is right there but doesn't seem to have to instincts to make a play. Rumph should really be gone if we don't see better play and more plays (INTs) this year.

Advertisement
@DMoney why are walkon playing so much., when the game hasn't been decided? There are more talent/ dynamic players then few and ragone
I would like to see guys like Restrepo and Huff displace the walk-ons ahead of them. But we are going to be rotating a lot this year, more than usual. So a lot of players (hopefully scholarship-caliber guys) will be playing.

Confused how Manny critiqued 4th quarter play when his OC called nothing but draw plays the whole quarter. Either way that did not align with running up the score like Manny promised he’d bring to us two years ago.

@DMoney why are walkon playing so much., when the game hasn't been decided? There are more talent/ dynamic players then few and ragone
Bump to this. Super frustrating part of this staff. Why is #41 Parrot running down on special teams to block a gunner, when we have depth with way more talented guys. Why is #27 few playing over Restrepo. #34 Raggone playing over Huff/Flagg/Austin-Cave

O thats right its because they "know the system". Well Zach McCloud has been in the system for 5 years and still is lost out there and can't make a play

Advertisement
Not going to re-hash a ton of stuff that’s already been brought up but I took some very encouraging signs from the game.
Last season the biggest issue on offense and defense was 3rd down conversions. The offense (who was 129th in 3rd downs last year) was 7-17 against UAB. Two of those missed conversions ended up getting converted on 4th down too. Solid job. The defense held UAB to 3-15 on 3rd down. That’s fantastic. They did a good job of not being over aggressive on 3rd and long and let the Blazers complete short passes that were behind the sticks. That’s all I want.

Also, for a team playing their first game after limited preseason practice, they were very well disciplined. Only three penalties and one of them was a BS offsides where the TE “shifted” out of his stance. Compared to UAB who has already played a game and was incredibly sloppy with multiple bonehead penalties. Gotta give the coaches credit for having our guys ready for week 1.

How nice was it to have a kicker who could kick it deep and you didnt have to hold in a shart watching the opposing team return a kickoff?

Agreed on most of that but still think the defense left a lot to be desired. Johnston missed a couple of easy throws that couldve been big plays and they dropped 3-4 passes that stalled drives as well. Not to mention they kept killing themselves with penalties. They also did us a favor taking Johnston out in the first and putting the other kid in. Killed their momentum

Advertisement
Back