More thoughts on the game

💯, this board is hard to read sometimes. I get we’ve had a rough run but **** I was perfectly content with last nights game. We left a lot out there and still won comfortably, did we forget the end of last season so quick? And complaining about “running the ball too much” is just insane.... we avgd almost 7 a carry, why in the **** would we stop?

Advertisement
Also thought they mailed in the 4th quarter purposely, especially after Cam’s knee scare. Seemed to be very noticeable that they wanted to get the game over with and get out after that happened.

UAB was also getting pretty chippy and it had the feel that something ugly might happen. Just how it felt to me.

Bingo....everybody simmer down ppl wanted to come out and put up 60 in a brand new offense where the OC was purposely keeping thing very vanilla and not just because it was UAB but because it was game ONE. You want guys in a new offense to get familiar first. were there issues? of course and things need to be correct but this knee jerk reaction when guys literally had 3 weeks of practice time and expect them to put up 60 is just insane.

Totally agree that Pope needs replacing as punt return. Way too loose with the ball & potential turnover machine. Other major disappointment was the offensive line. Kudos to them for fitness level in fast-pace offense. That said, King had little time to set up and too often had to rely on his feet to make plays. If Williams or Perry were back there, you'd have seen at least 5-6 sacks. Will decline comment on Ivey.

Advertisement
- It's a good thing the game was on ACC Network. Both teams played hard, but it had the feel of a preseason game. That should be expected given the circumstances.

- Salute to Manny, Frenk and the players for pulling it off. First P5 game in a pandemic, fans in the stands, no positive tests. Many of us thought this day would not come.

- I'm a little surprised by the negativity on here. No, we aren't ready to go Charlotte right now, and Louisville will be a big test. But our last game was a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. We scored 31 and covered against a decent defense. We also played a very clean game penalty-wise (3/30) and tackling-wise, which reflects coaching.

- King is a real QB. He wasn't clicking on all cylinders, and he missed a couple gimmes. But his true dual threat ability (extending his NCAA-record run/pass TD streak) and ability to respond to adversity are two things we haven't had in forever.

- The OL made King work too hard. UAB does not have a bad pass rush (29th in sack rate last year) but there are better DLs on the schedule.

- Like we mentioned on the training camp podcasts, the defining feature of this offense will be explosive runs. We have three backs with gamebreaking speed and they all make an impact. We don't have the 4-6 yard workhorse, but any big run can be a house call. The pace plays up that advantage. We outrushed a run-based team 337-80.

- Still lacking a go-to WR. The group was underwhelming. I would pull Pope on PR. He can stay on KR, but I want a smart player at PR. Osborn, Dallas and Berrios were all smart and they are all in the NFL. Give me Restrepo.

- The DL looks like it should look. UAB couldn't run and their passing game was limited by Miami's pass rush. There was only one sack, but UAB's playbook was severely limited by their inability to drop back and throw. They punted 11 times.

- The LBs played fine but will be tested by a more dynamic Louisville running game. We will miss Shaq. It would be nice to see more Sam Brooks. His speed flashes every time he plays.

- Disappointing to see DJ Ivey continue to struggle playing the ball. He needs to make sure his confident doesn't sag like last year, or he could lose his spot to Couch. Overall, though, there is too much negativity on the secondary. UAB only passed for 5.9 yards per attempt, which is a Top 5 defensive number nationally over the course of a season. Better teams will have more success, and UAB left plays on the field, but overall I expect the secondary to play at its usual level under Manny.

- Special teams looked much improved. Borregales has a leg and the punting game was awesome.
That was a pretty positive take on what went on last night. This was UAB, not UA. Outside of running, where was the guy that threw 6 tds in scrimmage? Before this game, this board chest pumping that we are beating Clemson. Clemson just snickering to themselves now and licking their chops. Every year this place gets suckered in with practice reports. Every year.

Advertisement
Also thought they mailed in the 4th quarter purposely, especially after Cam’s knee scare. Seemed to be very noticeable that they wanted to get the game over with and get out after that happened.

UAB was also getting pretty chippy and it had the feel that something ugly might happen. Just how it felt to me.
That's actually a really good point, I didn't think of that at all

That was a 35-7 game without the Pope fumble and King's miss of Payton in the end zone with no UAB defender in the zip code. Also, we actively tried not to score and just run clock the whole 4th.

Pros:
Run game
King's escapablity
D Ends
Safeties

Cons:
Oline struggled mightily in pass protection (especially when UAB brought pressure...guys had free runs at King all night)
No receiver flashed
Those starting LBs (Jennings and McCloud) are painfully slow. Brooks and Steed looked MUCH better
Ivey and Pope LOL

Advertisement
I'm perplexed by two things:

- How do we NOT have something on the roster better than Ivey?
- Why is Carter playing over Bolden?

Other than that...I'm not going to overreact yet. I think the UL game will give us a much clearer picture of who and what we are.

Advertisement
Our WR's inability to create separation in a game where we ran for almost 400 shards is shocking and extremely worrisome.

This is glaring. The hope is that Lash will be able to utilize the running backs in the passing game as well as Jordan and Mallory. Dee is good but he's not your top notch 1a guy. The problem is that Harley and Pope can be nullified relatively easily with press coverage, imo. That leaves a huge gap in the passing game.

I would like to see guys like Restrepo and Huff displace the walk-ons ahead of them. But we are going to be rotating a lot this year, more than usual. So a lot of players (hopefully scholarship-caliber guys) will be playing.

Is Restrepo really the #5-6 WR?

Advertisement
Back