More thoughts on the game

Confused how Manny critiqued 4th quarter play when his OC called nothing but draw plays the whole quarter. Either way that did not align with running up the score like Manny promised he’d bring to us two years ago.

The tempo and pounding broke UAB in the 3rd quarter, but it looked like it eventually cracked Miami in the early 4th quarter too. There was a drive with multiple holding calls around 11:00 mins remaining where OL was reaching and sloppy footwork. After that drive it looked like Miami was content to run out the clock and get N'kosi some reps. With the COVID situation, I can't blame them for wanting to get QB2 real reps.

On the defensive side, my biggest complaint was that we had multiple takeaway opportunities and came up empty. Al Blades on the sideline go route had good INT chance, the fumble kicked out of bounds, , Keontra had INT chance trailing that seem route. McCloud had INT chance on the throw back crosser... Good teams get TOs not just PBUs

Advertisement
@DMoney u stole my thunder on PR u always put a smart player on punt return. Patke tried that sh*t vs UF putting jeff thomas back there and it cost us the game. With KJ osborn/berrios back there we aint have no problems! This on patke at this point

Confused how Manny critiqued 4th quarter play when his OC called nothing but draw plays the whole quarter. Either way that did not align with running up the score like Manny promised he’d bring to us two years ago.

That’s because Mandy is full of crap. That’s been the Miami MO under him. If we have a lead in the 4th, it’s 3 runs into a cloud of dust up the middle, and gladly punt.

I, for one, am completely sick of this continued boring football being played thanks to an in over his head, head coach. God forbid we get four quarters of exciting Canes football. That’d be too much.

Advertisement
This is glaring. The hope is that Lash will be able to utilize the running backs in the passing game as well as Jordan and Mallory. Dee is good but he's not your top notch 1a guy. The problem is that Harley and Pope can be nullified relatively easily with press coverage, imo. That leaves a huge gap in the passing game.
Yes. Jordan and Mallory need to be the focus of the passing game with the others filling in as needed.

We better get it together before Clemson or this will be us...

tenor.gif

Don’t forget that we were 112th in rushing last year with an NFL running back.

Major improvement in that category against a viable defense.
My concern is what's going to happen when we get into ACC play and they make King beat us with his arm? That short stuff is going to dry up in a hurry if he can't hit anything down the field. We will not be rushing for 300+ when DCs figure out King is struggling to throw down the field. Welcome to the end of 2017.

In the first half the offense ran up-tempo. UAB was gassed, yet Miami seemed to purposely slow down, reverting to ‘look back at the OC’ playcalling. Why? This allowed UAB to adjust.

Advertisement
My concern is what's going to happen when we get into ACC play and they make King beat us with his arm? That short stuff is going to dry up in a hurry if he can't hit anything down the field. We will not be rushing for 300+ when DCs figure out King is struggling to throw down the field. Welcome to the end of 2017.

There is plenty of film of King hitting deep passes in college football.

He missed some he usually makes. Remember, he hasn’t played much in two years and has been dealing with incredible adversity off the field.

Overall, he commanded the game like a QB and made timely plays like a playmaker.

He missed some he usually makes. Remember, he hasn’t played much in two years and has been dealing with incredible adversity off the field.

Overall, he commanded the game like a QB and made timely plays like a playmaker.
Do we have the WR to do that tho? Stevenson from Houston would start here.. Cant have weak oline AND bad WR.. If I am DC I am bringing it to our oline and locking up these WR who cant beat UAB coverage

Here's hoping it happens, because if it doesn't it's going to get ugly. I did like his toughness and leadership, a lot.

Did we look better than when we put up 17 on Central Michigan in 2019? Yes, definitely.

Did we look better than when we put up 49 on Toledo in 2018? No

The disappointment on the board is everyone was expecting a lot from the new offense to begin with. Then the practice & scrimmage reports came out and people started REALLY buying into the hype. So it's just one game, and there were positives, but it was definitely underwhelming.

King is a stud with his ability to make plays with feet. But not hitting any plays downfield was concerning.

I don't buy that we we were holding anything back on offense. We took some shots, we just missed. Badly. We're in trouble if that continues.

Last edited:
Advertisement
UAB also played almost exclusive man coverage and when King sees a bunch of guys with their backs to him, he's taking off and running every time.

Don’t forget that we were 112th in rushing last year with an NFL running back.

Major improvement in that category against a viable defense.
Just take a peek at the rushing performance against Central Michigan last year and it should provide perspective.

Advertisement
McCloud is a MLB. He doesn't have the feet to cover the flats. Mentioned this when he announced he was coming back.
I agree. He needs to be the MLB and let the guys battle it out for WLB....I get wanting to give Jennings an opportunity and also building up the MLB spot for our 2021 team, but I think we play our best MLB at MLB which is McCloud, and play the best WLB at WLB, which would probably be Brooks. Let Jennings backup McCloud and earn that MLB spot as a RS Sr next year.

Also thought they mailed in the 4th quarter purposely, especially after Cam’s knee scare. Seemed to be very noticeable that they wanted to get the game over with and get out after that happened.

UAB was also getting pretty chippy and it had the feel that something ugly might happen. Just how it felt to me.
agree 100%. Absolutely seemed like Lashlee wanting to take time off the clock.

Miller dominated and was bowling people over every snap, but our fans only see the tackles, sacks, etc. Him and Nesta were far and away the best DL last night.
JMiller needs to start over Ford. It may be a conditioning thing, which is understandable. The Harrison Hunte kid looked pretty good out there last night as well. Hope he's okay, I don't remember seeing him back out there after he went down.

Advertisement
Back