More thoughts on the game

Serious question, is this defense completely Baker or is Manny playing a part as well? I can’t help but think it’s Baker because it looks nothing like the defense when Manny was DC ..
I don’t know that you can cause much chaos against UAB’s offense last night. QB never held the ball for more than two seconds. There was plenty of hurries but UAB played safe

Advertisement
Feel like McCloud is gonna be this year's version of Patchan. A veteran getting playing time solely out of seniority with better options behind him, although no GR15 waiting in wings at LB I'll take more brooks/huff over mccloud please & thank you.

That was a pretty positive take on what went on last night. This was UAB, not UA. Outside of running, where was the guy that threw 6 tds in scrimmage? Before this game, this board chest pumping that we are beating Clemson. Clemson just snickering to themselves now and licking their chops. Every year this place gets suckered in with practice reports. Every year.
I guess UAB is better than our scout team.

I don’t know that you can cause much chaos against UAB’s offense last night. QB never held the ball for more than two seconds. There was plenty of hurries but UAB played safe
That's why it's even more puzzling we kept calling delayed blitzes and was not in press coverage. :hammering-head:

UAB was an ideal opponent for an opener. Not quite good enough to make Miami really sweat a loss, but good enough that the team would have to play with effort. You can't get useful film from playing Bethune-Cookman, but we should get solid tape off this game then can help with adjustments for the Louisville game. I also pointed out in another thread that an interesting comparison is 2011 Clemson coming off a 6-7 season, with new OC Morris. They opened with Troy and also looked real clunky coming out of the gate (they were down 16-13 halfway through the third). Clemson ended up with a bigger margin of victory in the end, but the wheels totally came off for Troy at the end where they didn't for UAB in our game.

Advertisement
@DMoney u stole my thunder on PR u always put a smart player on punt return. Patke tried that sh*t vs UF putting jeff thomas back there and it cost us the game. With KJ osborn/berrios back there we aint have no problems! This on patke at this point
Don't you remember, when we have people trashing him, calling him Richt's favorite, saying we need more speed, a dynamic playmaker. It wasn't until he was in the NFL that the majority began to appreciate him.

Everything was very vanilla. You should’ve expected a sloppy game after all the bs of the last month. All of college football will be a **** show the first couple weeks.

My only complaint was the interior of the ol, wr’s and the dt’s. I was a tad disappointed in all the areas. I expected more pressure from the front but there’ll be improvement. I’m too old to overreact to a game surrounded by these circumstances.

That being said we better play a lot better next week or UL will light our asses up.

The OL wasnt that bad. some of them rushes were based on Kings decisions.

On the one big run Jennings was held.

our wr's are trash. we need payton and another young kid to step up ASAP. you dont win big with kids like harley and pope.

Ivy-see harley and pope

Side note, i was really happy with what i saw from brooks, nesta, and BJ.

i was told rhett held back for L-ville and that they pulled their foot off once they turned it on and felt lead was safe to avoid injuries. I was also told Likens is very unhappy with WR play
I can understand that. But there's more than one way to pull your foot off the gas. Take the opportunity to sub in your second and third team and continue to run your offense. They need to get reps. They don't learn anything running into the middle of a stacked line.

It's how JJ handled it.

Well it’s odd that Manny felt the need to say he felt we weren’t good in the 4th q

We weren't.

So?

We'll work on that. I seem to recall UF one time kicking our asses for 2.5 quarters - and we were supposed to be pretty good!

Whadda you want?

Advertisement
I haven't gone back and rewatched, but it felt like 70 of our 78 plays were one of five playcalls. I think this was intentional. I know Lashlee installed a simple offense, but I doubt it was that simple, especially from someone known for trick plays. I guess we'll find out next week if he was holding back, but I believe he was.
All I know is "we didn't want to show everything" is the same line given anytime we have a new OC and don't look good early in the season.

Mark Richt notably got the "he's only using 30% of his playbook" for the first 3-4 games.

Obviously you can't ever call all your plays in just one game - so I'm sure there's more - but the point is when we did take a shot downfield it didn't look good. I think it could just be some off throws, and is something that can be cleaned up for sure - but it also needs to get cleaned up quickly.

All I know is "we didn't want to show everything" is the same line given anytime we have a new OC and don't look good early in the season.

Mark Richt notably got the "he's only using 30% of his playbook" for the first 3-4 games.

Obviously you can't ever call all your plays in just one game - so I'm sure there's more - but the point is when we did take a shot downfield it didn't look good. I think it could just be some off throws, and is something that can be cleaned up for sure - but it also needs to get cleaned up quickly.
Remember, under Richt, we played the same 30% of the playbook all season. You could count the plays on one hand, worse, opponents knew what play to expect.

Advertisement
My thoughts...

I am not as down as everyone else on this game. I'm not sure what you all expected, but UAB is a solid, very well coached, workmanlike team that already had a game under their belts. I expected an easy cover, but not without bumps in the road.

I said this in another thread, if you've ever read my posts before and remember some of the **** I pound the table for...running the football in volume has been one of my tentpole issues for this team for years under multiple head coaches. We ran the ball 52 times. I don't think we've run 52 times in a football game since the forward pass was invented (seriously, someone look it up...its the most we've had in at least 30 years). This should be the strength of the offense. We've got three stallions in the backfield. Work that inside zone until your eyes bleed. Garin Justice OL have traditionally been very good run blockers and I thought the unit played well in the run game this week. Jarrid Williams and DJ Scaife on the right side will be a problem for many teams. I thought Campbell on the left side did well sealing his side and getting backs free for big runs, too.

The passing game will come around, but don't expect a big explosive passing game. Our WRs are pretty jaggy right now. Still very inconsistent in their route running and discipline. They will get tons of opportunities, but they need to tighten up. The group should be working with King night and day on the practice field just getting reps in together. Nothing was shocking here, if you look up some of my posts early in the off-season, I had this unit pretty dead to rights on what to expect. As the season goes on, I expect King to tighten up on his ball placement into windows. I think Jordan's stock goes up the more players like Harley and Pope fail to rise to the occasion. King will just keep looking for Jordan between the numbers.

OL needs reps and coaching in the pass game. King has to create too much magic for a team going against UAB.

Defensively, the DL is going to be a problem for everyone. Jaelen Phillips and Quincy Roche will constantly get pressure. I thought Nesta Silvera flashed some real nice football and hope we get more out of him when we play ACC competition.

Linebackers and cornerbacks seemed pretty jaggy in this game. Safeties are going to be asked to do a lot.

Kicking game is fixed. Very happy with what we've got going there.
According to Likens, our WRs are not jaggy - not according to the below article. He thinks Pope is comparable to 1st round picks.

We clearly did not get the ball into our WRs and TEs hands in space until the end of the game. I don't know why that is so hard - get them the ball (like with Brevin) and watch a 5 yard pass turn into a 30 yard gain. The passing calls yesterday were not great - I was expecting more from Lashlee. I didn't see anything that was worth all the offseason hype around him. Let's hope it gets better.

“What I look for,” Likens said Wednesday in an appearance on WQAM’s “The Joe Rose Show with Zach Krantz,” “is I think you have to have great lateral quickness as a wide receiver because the game has changed. There’s so much more press coverage. You’re going to get bump-and-run about 75 percent of the time when you’re an outside receiver and if you can’t get off press coverage, then you look bad, but if you have that lateral spot quickness — the 5-yard quickness, the quick twitch — then that should translate into you being able to get off press coverage.

“Mark Pope has as good as anybody I’ve ever seen.”

Everything was very vanilla. You should’ve expected a sloppy game after all the bs of the last month. All of college football will be a **** show the first couple weeks.

My only complaint was the interior of the ol, wr’s and the dt’s. I was a tad disappointed in all the areas. I expected more pressure from the front but there’ll be improvement. I’m too old to overreact to a game surrounded by these circumstances.

That being said we better play a lot better next week or UL will light our asses up.
I thought the DT unit played well. They got good push all night long and made several plays in the backfield. Relative to expectations, it was the DEs who underwhelmed, IMO.

- It's a good thing the game was on ACC Network. Both teams played hard, but it had the feel of a preseason game. That should be expected given the circumstances.

- Salute to Manny, Frenk and the players for pulling it off. First P5 game in a pandemic, fans in the stands, no positive tests. Many of us thought this day would not come.

- I'm a little surprised by the negativity on here. No, we aren't ready to go Charlotte right now, and Louisville will be a big test. But our last game was a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech. We scored 31 and covered against a decent defense. We also played a very clean game penalty-wise (3/30) and tackling-wise, which reflects coaching.

- King is a real QB. He wasn't clicking on all cylinders, and he missed a couple gimmes. But his true dual threat ability (extending his NCAA-record run/pass TD streak) and ability to respond to adversity are two things we haven't had in forever.

- The OL made King work too hard. UAB does not have a bad pass rush (29th in sack rate last year) but there are better DLs on the schedule.

- Like we mentioned on the training camp podcasts, the defining feature of this offense will be explosive runs. We have three backs with gamebreaking speed and they all make an impact. We don't have the 4-6 yard workhorse, but any big run can be a house call. The pace plays up that advantage. We outrushed a run-based team 337-80.

- Still lacking a go-to WR. The group was underwhelming. I would pull Pope on PR. He can stay on KR, but I want a smart player at PR. Osborn, Dallas and Berrios were all smart and they are all in the NFL. Give me Restrepo.

- The DL looks like it should look. UAB couldn't run and their passing game was limited by Miami's pass rush. There was only one sack, but UAB's playbook was severely limited by their inability to drop back and throw. They punted 11 times.

- The LBs played fine but will be tested by a more dynamic Louisville running game. We will miss Shaq. It would be nice to see more Sam Brooks. His speed flashes every time he plays.

- Disappointing to see DJ Ivey continue to struggle playing the ball. He needs to make sure his confident doesn't sag like last year, or he could lose his spot to Couch. Overall, though, there is too much negativity on the secondary. UAB only passed for 5.9 yards per attempt, which is a Top 5 defensive number nationally over the course of a season. Better teams will have more success, and UAB left plays on the field, but overall I expect the secondary to play at its usual level under Manny.

- Special teams looked much improved. Borregales has a leg and the punting game was awesome.

D$ you should never be surprised to see negativity on here. When we put UAB on the schedule I said it on here last year they arent your gimmie non P5 team.

I thought the team looked like it would given there was no spring.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back