Miss this place.

What I think happened is the fan base increased exponentially right after the 2001 NC team. In 2002 we averaged almost 70k. I went to 5 games that year, the most in forever, probably 1991. And it was packed each time.

What I think happened is there were millions of people who's parents liked soccer and baseball who now liked football. I think UM has millions of more fans because of that reason since around 2002. It seems like attendance has been pretty far ahead of pre 2002 levels since then.

But one thing I have to mention is that never once was I in the OB say in 1988 against Missouri, and be like, oh my I can't stand being here because there's only 35k in the stands. Maybe we all should have found somewhere else to go right? Since it isn't fun.
Actually, it didn't.

Miami's attendance went right right back down a couple of years later. Take it from someone that actually attended games and was a student at the University at the time. My freshman year(2004), unless it was FSU or Louisville, there were a ton of poorly attended games. Yes, the addition of UF to the schedule in 2003 gave a boost to the attendance numbers, but there were STILL a ton of 1/2 full games. You had some buzz about joining the ACC and seeing new opponents, but that wore off quickly.
You think Miami is broke lol??!! That ***** said time and time again that she would build a new science building before she wasted money on a stadium! Truth!
Tell me you never attended the University of Miami(or any college), without telling me.

Let's start with the basics, something you never obviously received. ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT FUNDING COMES FROM THE DEPARTMENT, IT DOES NOT, I SAY AGAIN, DOES NOT COME FROM THE ENDOWMENT. In other words, if the University wanted to pay that 20 million, they would have to raise it, because it is for an Athletic Department entity. You saw how difficult it was for this school to raise 30 million for a **** IPF. The school will not be able to cut a check straight from the endowment or the general fund, because a large majority of those funds are earmarked by donors. This is something our dumbass "Fans" refuse to understand. When I write my yearly check to the Law School and the College of Arts and Sciences, I EARMARK those funds for use by those specific departments. It is a legally binding contract, the school cannot use those funds outside of that purpose.

Of course the University President would want to build academic buildings BEFORE spending money on something that 1)The University does not own and 2)Doesn't serve the overall mission of the University. In case you don't understand what a University is, let me give you the definition

u·ni·ver·si·ty
/ˌyo͞onəˈvərsədē/

noun

an educational institution designed for instruction, examination, or both, of students in many branches of advanced learning, conferring degrees in various faculties, and often embodying colleges and similar institutions.

Example of word being used in a sentence: The UNIVERSITY of Miami is an institution of higher learning, not a football vocational school.

Advertisement
Can't believe yall taking up for this little witch! Notice we didn't start going downhill til after she took over??!! We won our last title when she first got hired, and we been sukk'n ever since! We gettin' our azzez kicked by FIU and yall trust to talk about how great this bych is? Gtfoh!!!
For us that ATTENDED THE UNIVERSITY, she did right by us. The school's prestige went up, she raised BILLIONS of dollars for the University, raising our endowment and helping bring in some much needed upgrades. Now, she wasn't perfect, but her stewardship of the UNIVERSITY was amazing. People like yourself think that football runs a University, it doesn't, at least it doesn't run the ones worth a ****.

Remember playing baseball in the field adjacent and watching the Mariel detainees tear the place up. Also, 89 Orange Bowl game was an epic moment in my Canes fandom...

Wait do you really not agree that the OB held significant importance in a city devoid of historic landmarks? The stadium wasn't just metal and bolts, it was the one place where a Miamian could be surrounded by others who shared pride in hailing from here. What city are you from?

Please, my head is still spinning. Don’t increase the rpms

Advertisement
You must have missed that day in class where they went over the lesson on “correlation is not causation”. No biggie

You are a lot more patient than me. What's funny is that a lot of these Miami Bros don't understand that the marketing of sports has changed in the last 20 years. Ever since the expansion of cable and the invention of HDTV, watching a game AT HOME has become significantly more desirable compared to sitting in a facility. Why would anyone spend money to sit in a cramped seat, deal with garbage bathrooms and be hot and miserable for an entire day, when they can watch the game in HDTV at home, in a comfortable seat, with bathrooms readily accessible and replays at their fingertips(Never mind the food options)?

As a response to this question, facilities have become more attendant to the needs of affluent fans, who are willing to pay for comfort. There's a reason why entities(Especially in major cities, where there is competition for entertainment dollars) are shrinking seating capacities, and adding more open areas, more attractions. This isn't 1986, where things like luxury boxes are the end all be all of luxury seating, and most facilities didn't have them. My family has had Dallas Mavericks & Dallas Cowboys season tickets since 1991. They still get a brochure every season, there is more information about the upgrades made to seating and pitches to join exclusive seating clubs, than there are mentions about the actual teams. There's a reason why. My parents could easily watch Luka Doncic from the comfort of their own home, but watching him in the facility AND having a lot of the comforts you'd have at home? That's next level, that's why they keep renewing.

The reason WHY Miami and other entities push tailgating and other activities, is because they are selling an EXPERIENCE. They are trying to get people to come out to do things BESIDES watch the game. Frankly, having a tailgating culture(Something that was borderline impossible to have at the OB, because accessible parking was a rumor) has helped keep people coming back, even when the team is mediocre. I have friends that keep their season tickets, mostly because they look forward to having a place to tailgate and spend time with family and friends, the game is the cherry on top. The only places where they don't have to think like that are places like Alabama, where there is literally zero competition for discretionary entertainment dollars.

Joining the ACC and moving to HRS has ensured that we'll go 7-5 in perpetuity, but the school knows it can count on us to renew season tix so we can one-up each other in the parking lot with all new tailgating gear and enjoy the awesome beer selection inside the stadium while we socialize and watch the jumbotrons. The school may not have seen the Stephen Ross era coming, but they know who their audience is now and their gravy train keeps rolling.
Staying in the Big East would have ensured that this program would have continued to hemorrhage money. You imagine Miami staying in the Big East as all this crazy crap went on? It would have been a LOT easier to keep Miami locked out. At least Miami has a fighting chance now, in the ACC.

In a college football world where richest team wins more often than not, and knowing full well that Miami fans are cheap, miserable douchebags that expect the donor pool to donate at a higher rate to make up for there being fewer of us, it makes sense for an entity to ensure that the fan experience is worthwhile. You can't control how good the team is going to be year in and year out, especially in this college football world, but you can ensure that fans have a great time at the facility, no matter what happens.

As a teenager, I roamed the bowels of that grand old lady many times but don't recall falling concrete or leaking pipes although I heard stories of it after my father retired.
Unfortunately it did get to that point. A former coworker at the U's father was the last stadium manager. He said the last 2 years they were completely neglected by the powers that be at the city....

You are a lot more patient than me. What's funny is that a lot of these Miami Bros don't understand that the marketing of sports has changed in the last 20 years. Ever since the expansion of cable and the invention of HDTV, watching a game AT HOME has become significantly more desirable compared to sitting in a facility. Why would anyone spend money to sit in a cramped seat, deal with garbage bathrooms and be hot and miserable for an entire day, when they can watch the game in HDTV at home, in a comfortable seat, with bathrooms readily accessible and replays at their fingertips(Never mind the food options)?

As a response to this question, facilities have become more attendant to the needs of affluent fans, who are willing to pay for comfort. There's a reason why entities(Especially in major cities, where there is competition for entertainment dollars) are shrinking seating capacities, and adding more open areas, more attractions. This isn't 1986, where things like luxury boxes are the end all be all of luxury seating, and most facilities didn't have them. My family has had Dallas Mavericks & Dallas Cowboys season tickets since 1991. They still get a brochure every season, there is more information about the upgrades made to seating and pitches to join exclusive seating clubs, than there are mentions about the actual teams. There's a reason why. My parents could easily watch Luka Doncic from the comfort of their own home, but watching him in the facility AND having a lot of the comforts you'd have at home? That's next level, that's why they keep renewing.

The reason WHY Miami and other entities push tailgating and other activities, is because they are selling an EXPERIENCE. They are trying to get people to come out to do things BESIDES watch the game. Frankly, having a tailgating culture(Something that was borderline impossible to have at the OB, because accessible parking was a rumor) has helped keep people coming back, even when the team is mediocre. I have friends that keep their season tickets, mostly because they look forward to having a place to tailgate and spend time with family and friends, the game is the cherry on top. The only places where they don't have to think like that are places like Alabama, where there is literally zero competition for discretionary entertainment dollars.

Your response is well thought out and on point. It takes into consideration the current marketplace and includes a discussion of discretionary spend in the market.

I appreciate the thorough response. A rarity.

But let me clue you in on how to get more upvotes.

➡️ ”It’s all that Travelocity gnome Shalala’s fault”

➡️ ”There’ll never be another stadium like the grand old lady” (one of my lasting memories from the OB: standing in 12 inches of gray water while I ****ed in a trough as a **** floated by my feet)

➡️ Our lockerrooms suck (by people that have never contributed a cent).

Check out the realignment megga thread for some shoot-from-the-hip doozies.

Advertisement

Stephen Ross purposely removed almost 10,000 seats from his stadium to make the experience better for the other 65,000. If you’re going to charge the amount they do for sporting events today, you better offer up something besides unshaded benches and warm beer.

Unfortunately it did get to that point. A former coworker at the U's father was the last stadium manager. He said the last 2 years they were completely neglected by the powers that be at the city....
Not surprised. Even in the 60’s and 70’s, the city would only approve bare bones budgets with little for maintenance and upkeep. My father had to get very creative not only in budget requests but also in how he used the funds he was given.

He also managed the old Miami Baseball stadium during baseball season. Same issues with that stadium as well. You may or not remember the Orioles had a AA farm team in Miami for years. They flew the coop because the city wouldn’t spend money on it either.

For us that ATTENDED THE UNIVERSITY, she did right by us. The school's prestige went up, she raised BILLIONS of dollars for the University, raising our endowment and helping bring in some much needed upgrades. Now, she wasn't perfect, but her stewardship of the UNIVERSITY was amazing. People like yourself think that football runs a University, it doesn't, at least it doesn't run the ones worth a ****.
Idgaf where you went to school, it doesn't change the fact she effed up the football program, no denying that. Go to any Bama site and see if they're talking akuhdimics! That's loser talk...

Not surprised. Even in the 60’s and 70’s, the city would only approve bare bones budgets with little for maintenance and upkeep. My father had to get very creative not only in budget requests but also in how he used the funds he was given.

He also managed the old Miami Baseball stadium during baseball season. Same issues with that stadium as well. You may or not remember the Orioles had a AA farm team in Miami for years. They flew the coop because the city wouldn’t spend money on it either.
That's my favorite baseball team because of the Miami Stadium days. Dad was a Yankee fan. I was an Orioles fan. The single a team was the original Mami Marlins.

Advertisement

So you agree with me then that the fan experience is prioritized ahead of winning, and that there's no reason for the university to deviate from this model of going 7-5 every year with butts in the seats because people now have a place to party. Moving to HRS changed the Miami fan's M.O. in a way that will only perpetuate mediocre results. We'll always show up because tailgating and having fun is what's most important.

That's my favorite baseball team because of the Miami Stadium days. Dad was a Yankee fan. I was an Orioles fan. The single a team was the original Mami Marlins.
Yep. Orioles for me as well for the same reason.

Short story. When I was 10-11 years old, my 2 uncles used to park cars at Miami Stadium. I’d go with them and shag balls that we’re hit out of the park. The stadium was fenced in and the local kids would cut holes in it to try and get those balls. I’d have to run my *** off to beat them to it. To this day, I credit those kids with helping me run as fast as I could.

Yep. Orioles for me as well for the same reason.

Short story. When I was 10-11 years old, my 2 uncles used to park cars at Miami Stadium. I’d go with them and shag balls that we’re hit out of the park. The stadium was fenced in and the local kids would cut holes in it to try and get those balls. I’d have to run my *** off to beat them to it. To this day, I credit those kids with helping me run as fast as I could.
Cool story, Hansel. I also grew up going to O's spring training and Marlins games there. Yankees at FTL Stadium too. Love having an MLB team here but would consider giving it up to have those venues back.

Advertisement
Idgaf where you went to school, it doesn't change the fact she effed up the football program, no denying that. Go to any Bama site and see if they're talking akuhdimics! That's loser talk...
E03BC3EB-7324-4B3E-BFA2-6AD4E2D40B94.gif

So you agree with me then that the fan experience is prioritized ahead of winning, and that there's no reason for the university to deviate from this model of going 7-5 every year with butts in the seats because people now have a place to party. Moving to HRS changed the Miami fan's M.O. in a way that will only perpetuate mediocre results. We'll always show up because tailgating and having fun is what's most important.
This premise assumes you can only have a great fan experience OR a winning team. Which has no basis in fact. The assumption that Miami’s football team would be better if they somehow played in a ****tier stadium is ridiculous. Once again, maybe you missed the last few years at the Orange Bowl but those teams were far worse than what we have today. You can rightly question the university’s prior financial commitment to winning. There’s no doubt they were trying to nickel and dime the football program while the rest of college football was upping their spending but today, in 2021, they’re not pinching pennies. They’ve upped spending on staff and on campus facilities all while fans have enjoyed significantly better game day atmosphere. While spending significantly more money to do so. My general admission west end zone season tickets were roughly 1/3 the cost of my west end zone seats at HRS. Teams make money by offering a premium experience for a premium price. The $15 bleacher tickets don’t really pay the bills.

Edit: and I took the bait hook line and sinker

Last edited:
Cool story, Hansel. I also grew up going to O's spring training and Marlins games there. Yankees at FTL Stadium too. Love having an MLB team here but would consider giving it up to have those venues back.
Been called a lot of things. Hansel ain’t one of them. Lol

Advertisement
Back