Miss this place.

im only 25 and was only able to go to 1 game in the OB. 03 vs Tennessee.

we lost but i wouldnt trade that experience for everything. I was 7 or 8 years old and from that day on I knew id be a Cane for life.
I saw the game in Knoxville in Neyland the year before - home and home. Talk about a shythole.

Advertisement
As a teenager, I roamed the bowels of that grand old lady many times but don't recall falling concrete or leaking pipes although I heard stories of it after my father retired.
Awesome brother I sat section G-H row 40 or so North side after get totally refreshed at Montes Trainers Hurricane Club in East end zone.

I put a friends ashes at mid field on the U .

Great days in my life many stories like that

GOCANES

As a teenager, I roamed the bowels of that grand old lady many times but don't recall falling concrete or leaking pipes although I heard stories of it after my father retired.
I witnessed some leaky pipes towards the end in '06/'07 but never the falling concrete.

In fact, I still have a few actual OB seats, that last game was like a mad house of people taking ****, I remember one guy offering like 10k to whoever could get the 58 game home win streak banner off the field. Shalala had so many cops and security present, I remember kids starting to pack the rails as time wound down to rush the field and legit a cop every 5ft surrounding the entire field.

The game before I brought a drill bit kit in my pocket and measured which star bit fit for the seats, then the last game brought a screwdriver in my shoe, unscrewed a bunch, they had security at the exits funneling people into a single line and takin **** people tried to take from the stadium. Personally thought it was dumb when it was just being demolished, but me and my buddies put the seats on our backs under our shirts then got some drunk co-eds (we were students at the time) to jump on our backs to act like we were piggy-backing them out of the stadium and no one said a peep.

She's responsible dude. I ain't making this isht up! I was shocked when I read this stuff. She told the trustees when she first got hired that she didn't like the fact that the football program was bigger than the school itself, and she vowed to do something about it...AND SHE DID!

that is a completely different topic and I’m not disagreeing with you. But the stadium deal is totally different than what you’re talking about.

1627317848012.png

Advertisement
Man you all have lived the life I can never have being at the OB for Miami games. Sure I have seen a ton on TV but to actually be there was something I am sure you all will have in your mental safe. I have only seen Miami once in person and that was in '03 when they played LaTech in Shreveport but I would trade that experience in a heartbeat for an OB game, even if was against a scrub team.
Contrary to popular belief or nostalgia, The OB was a very ho-hum experience for non ranked opponents. When the place was full for big games, it was electric. For a lot of games against Big East bottom feeders and FCS/G5 opponents the stadium was half full at best. My family had season tickets from 92-96 and I got them with some friends when i moved back to south Florida in 2001 and have had them every year since (besides last year obvious reasons) Even during the best of years, a noon game against Temple was usually played in front of 35,000 fans and had the atmosphere of a minor league baseball game. Most people only remember the big games because most Miami fans would only buy tickets for FSU or Penn State or whatever big name team was coming to town. But sitting on a fiberglass bleacher (no actual seats in the wez) sipping a lukewarm beer of miscellaneous origin with 28,000 fans watching Miami pummel Rutgers in 90 degree heat wasn’t exactly the greatest fan experience. But those big games, the comeback versus Florida, the shootout against FSU in 2000. Even the heartbreaker against Penn State in 99 are permanent memories for me.

I was at that game as well... Matter of fact, my first Hurricanes game ever. **** near same spot as the person recording.
My entire life, my seats were 10-15 rolls (under the overhead) behind where this video was recorded. We would sit at WEZ for big games.

Contrary to popular belief or nostalgia, The OB was a very ho-hum experience for non ranked opponents. When the place was full for big games, it was electric. For a lot of games against Big East bottom feeders and FCS/G5 opponents the stadium was half full at best. My family had season tickets from 92-96 and I got them with some friends when i moved back to south Florida in 2001 and have had them every year since (besides last year obvious reasons) Even during the best of years, a noon game against Temple was usually played in front of 35,000 fans and had the atmosphere of a minor league baseball game. Most people only remember the big games because most Miami fans would only buy tickets for FSU or Penn State or whatever big name team was coming to town. But sitting on a fiberglass bleacher (no actual seats in the wez) sipping a lukewarm beer of miscellaneous origin with 28,000 fans watching Miami pummel Rutgers in 90 degree heat wasn’t exactly the greatest fan experience. But those big games, the comeback versus Florida, the shootout against FSU in 2000. Even the heartbreaker against Penn State in 99 are permanent memories for me.
Name one football stadium that has 30K creates a “great experience?” Silly point. Plus, those small crowds were not as common in most games.

Your seats were still on top of the field and I always had a great time, even as a kid.

Name one football stadium that has 30K creates a “great experience?” Silly point. Plus, those small crowds were not as common in most games.

Your seats were still on top of the field and I always had a great time, even as a kid.
The one time we managed to beat ECU back in 1989 there were 40k fans at the OB a week after losing to FSU, and it felt/sounded like there was 80k.

Advertisement
If you think it was Donna Shalala's fault there's no OB anymore, I have to assume you have the intelligence of a goldfish.

I was on the student committee evaluating stadium options. Here is a FACT for you. The city of Miami wanted the University of Miami to contribute $500 million to save the OB. At the time, the endowment for The U was roughly $700 million. It would have been an absolutely, beyond idiotic financial move, almost as dumb as this comment.

Maybe, just maybe, try educating yourself before having such an asinine opinion?

***** the facts.

It's simpler and more fun - more satisfying - to hang his on the shrimp.

Besides - the Little One could have just shaken down the donators for an extra $500 million - offered them a free UM pizza and embroidered UM thong for every million they donated. I don't have any idea what they'd offer the female donators . . .

HRS is great but the place has so many frills that it doesn't always feel quite like a college football venue, and it needs to be packed with liquored-up Kendall chicos at night for it to feel anything like the OB. The university followed the Dolphins blueprint of prioritizing the fan experience over winning. Still holding out hope that they will one day bulldoze half of Tropical Park and build a 50k seat stadium. The other wet dream is to one day move into a renovated Marlins Park.

At the risk of falling into the Rok-trolling-zone, explain to me the actual mechanism of prioritizing the fan experience over winning, how that happens, and how the two are mutually exclusive.

I’ll hang up now and listen to your answer.

Advertisement

Besides a small stadium where 30K is near capacity? None. Once again, I was not stating that the stadium should have done a better job of being more fun with half empty stands. I was stating that there were quite a few games like that, even during the heyday. The stadium had a maximum capacity of 73,000+ They would occasionally add extra bleacher seats in the East endzone for big games, yet they averaged over 60k only three times in the history of the stadium. The 2001 team only got 46,000 a game to see the greatest team ever. That's almost 30,000 empty seats on average per game. If you look at the attendance numbers, it goes up and down yearly and that coincided with the years that FSU was home vs away. There's this nostalgic view that the Orange Bowl was always this madhouse full of fans and the facts are the attendance was about the same as it's been at Hardrock Stadium. They got huge crowds for big games and nobody showed up to games against no name teams.

Besides a small stadium where 30K is near capacity? None. Once again, I was not stating that the stadium should have done a better job of being more fun with half empty stands. I was stating that there were quite a few games like that, even during the heyday. The stadium had a maximum capacity of 73,000+ They would occasionally add extra bleacher seats in the East endzone for big games, yet they averaged over 60k only three times in the history of the stadium. The 2001 team only got 46,000 a game to see the greatest team ever. That's almost 30,000 empty seats on average per game. If you look at the attendance numbers, it goes up and down yearly and that coincided with the years that FSU was home vs away. There's this nostalgic view that the Orange Bowl was always this madhouse full of fans and the facts are the attendance was about the same as it's been at Hardrock Stadium. They got huge crowds for big games and nobody showed up to games against no name teams.

#FACTS

I’m sick of these nostalgia threads. I’m sorry I even clicked on this one.

I wandered around in empty sections at the OB many times in games against teams like Rutgers and Temple. And I’ve been to bunch of games at the OB.

At the risk of falling into the Rok-trolling-zone, explain to me the actual mechanism of prioritizing the fan experience over winning, how that happens, and how the two are mutually exclusive.

I’ll hang up now and listen to your answer.
You really don't see the parallels between the Canes and Dolphins since 2008?

The Dolphins went from a football team to a three-ring circus when Stephen Ross bought the team in 2008. They literally rolled out the red carpet for celebrity minority owners, built a nightclub in the WEZ, and went nuts turning the stadium into the State Fair of Texas. They did all this while hiring and extending no-talent ***-clowns like Tony Sparano, Joe Philbin and Adam Gase.

UM moved to JRS in 2008 so they could rent skybox suites after making the laziest HC hire possible. They rode the coat tails of Stephen Ross and all the new beer taps he installed while hiring useless slap-****s to coach the team and gave them all a long leash. At one point we had a DJ parked outside Club LIV if you recall. For God's sake Miami's current ad campaign for season tickets literally centers around tailgating. I see ads on YouTube of a burger simmering on a grill talking about BUY YOUR HURRICANES SEASON TICKETS today and make memories with some good, wholesome family fun this Fall. Tailgating was never near that important before. Now it's all they have left to peddle. HRS is the god **** devil.

Advertisement
Most of the people who complain about Hardrock are people who live in southwest Dade and don't like the drive. They'll come up with a million ridiculous reasons why but the only REAL reason is they don't like the fact that the stadium is far from where they live now.

Even if your story was true(Which it isn't) tell me where that 30 million dollars was coming from. Sure as **** wasn't coming from blowhards like yourself. I know it's shocking, you can't just pull funds from the endowment like you pull from your checking account.

The OB needed hundreds of millions of dollars in renovations, that number you quoted is a miniscule fraction of that. Why would they ask for such a small number? Oh that's right, because they never did.

Either The City Of Miami was trying to get over biiiiiiiig time, or you just made that figure up.

The Bounce House in Orlando and Houston's stadium cost less than $200M to build combined, so ain't no way in **** was a stadium reno gonna cost more than building a stadium from scratch.

Plus I remember the numbers that were being thrown around for an OB reno, nothing even remotely close to the 9 figures you're talking about.

Either The City Of Miami was trying to get over biiiiiiiig time, or you just made that figure up.

The Bounce House in Orlando and Houston's stadium cost less than $200M to build combined, so ain't no way in **** was a stadium reno gonna cost more than building a stadium from scratch.

Plus I remember the numbers that were being thrown around for an OB reno, nothing even remotely close to the 9 figures you're talking about.

ehh idk about that boss.... I have no recollection of the numbers or figures being thrown out but in the housing construction market which I am familiar with it is sometimes cheaper to tear something down that is already falling apart and start from scratch as oppose to trying to save existing features and rehab them.

Throw in updated building codes and the like and it may have been a nightmare cost wise.

What I think happened is the fan base increased exponentially right after the 2001 NC team. In 2002 we averaged almost 70k. I went to 5 games that year, the most in forever, probably 1991. And it was packed each time.

What I think happened is there were millions of people who's parents liked soccer and baseball who now liked football. I think UM has millions of more fans because of that reason since around 2002. It seems like attendance has been pretty far ahead of pre 2002 levels since then.

But one thing I have to mention is that never once was I in the OB say in 1988 against Missouri, and be like, oh my I can't stand being here because there's only 35k in the stands. Maybe we all should have found somewhere else to go right? Since it isn't fun.

Advertisement
Back