Miss this place.

Another "Fan" that doesn't know a thing. I want to hear how Dr. Shalala was responsible for the City of Miami ignoring a vote to renovate the OB, and going with a sketchy backroom deal, one that will ***** over Miami tax payers for DECADES. The City of Miami owned the OB, UMiami was not going to buy the facility, and the MOMENT the City decided they were going to give the land to the Marlins, it was a wrap. The program has done well since, they are now playing in a far better facility, a facility they will NEVER have to worry about renovations, because the Dolphins will never play in a dump. Don't let the fog of history distract you from noting what the historic OB had become by the end of its lifespan.

I was at the Louisville game OP discussed, it was my freshman year at The U. Fun night, especially once Devin hit that middle return.
“Dr.”Shalala ruined the sports programs at Miami. Ask anyone associated with football during that time lol

Advertisement
Most of the people who complain about Hardrock are people who live in southwest Dade and don't like the drive. They'll come up with a million ridiculous reasons why but the only REAL reason is they don't like the fact that the stadium is far from where they live now.
There's some truth to this but it doesn't change what's transpired at UM since 2007. We left the OB in program-killing fashion and haven't been terribly relevant since, but the people keep coming back because they can get fired-up on IPA at Hard Rock with their good-time buddies and leave the game at halftime to get home or go to Wing Zone and continue partying. Miami games have become about the festivities, and it works because we're averaging more fans than ever. But between the new stadium, updates to the campus and the money we get from ACC profit-sharing, what incentive does UM have for caring about wins and losses when they know that people will show up regardless? They place more importance on keeping people drunk and distracted. They want us to kill ourselves.

There's some truth to this but it doesn't change what's transpired at UM since 2007. We left the OB in program-killing fashion and haven't been terribly relevant since, but the people keep coming back because they can get fired-up on IPA at Hard Rock with their good-time buddies and leave the game at halftime to get home or go to Wing Zone and continue partying. Miami games have become about the festivities, and it works because we're averaging more fans than ever. But between the new stadium, updates to the campus and the money we get from ACC profit-sharing, what incentive does UM have for caring about wins and losses when they know that people will show up regardless? They place more importance on keeping people drunk and distracted. They want us to kill ourselves.
Maybe you missed the last 5 years or so at the OB but Miami sucked there too.

You really don't see the parallels between the Canes and Dolphins since 2008?

The Dolphins went from a football team to a three-ring circus when Stephen Ross bought the team in 2008. They literally rolled out the red carpet for celebrity minority owners, built a nightclub in the WEZ, and went nuts turning the stadium into the State Fair of Texas. They did all this while hiring and extending no-talent ***-clowns like Tony Sparano, Joe Philbin and Adam Gase.

UM moved to JRS in 2008 so they could rent skybox suites after making the laziest HC hire possible. They rode the coat tails of Stephen Ross and all the new beer taps he installed while hiring useless slap-****s to coach the team and gave them all a long leash. At one point we had a DJ parked outside Club LIV if you recall. For God's sake Miami's current ad campaign for season tickets literally centers around tailgating. I see ads on YouTube of a burger simmering on a grill talking about BUY YOUR HURRICANES SEASON TICKETS today and make memories with some good, wholesome family fun this Fall. Tailgating was never near that important before. Now it's all they have left to peddle. HRS is the god **** devil.

You must have missed that day in class where they went over the lesson on “correlation is not causation”. No biggie

When they tore that place down there's no question that a portion of the city and team's soul remained in the rubble. That dump was an important landmark that elicited fierce civic pride which pretty much doesn't exist otherwise in any form in such a transient community.

Advertisement
ehh idk about that boss.... I have no recollection of the numbers or figures being thrown out but in the housing construction market which I am familiar with it is sometimes cheaper to tear something down that is already falling apart and start from scratch as oppose to trying to save existing features and rehab them.

Throw in updated building codes and the like and it may have been a nightmare cost wise.

You're right, and my apologies to @Canedude08, just read an article that put the figure at over $200M for a stadium reno. Yeah, would've been cheaper to break ground and start over...but I think ultimately we made the right decision moving to HRS.

Best stadium I've ever been too. No place was louder and had that type of energy in it in Miami. Still remember that 2002 FSU game. It was so **** hot outside and the place was shaking I thought the OB was going to collapse. I
For me that type of game was the year before against the Huskies. I was a student at the time but for this game had seats in the lower deck of the South stands. I used to think people were exaggerating when they said they could feel the OB rocking. That night I legit felt that stadium move. It actually freaked me out a bit, I was worried that the upper deck rafters would come down on top of us. I also saw fear in the eyes of Huskies fans that night, due to the rabidness of our fans though. You could almost see their thoughts like “Am I going to make it of here in one piece tonight?”

@RVACane do we a graphic or gif for “you have now entered the Rok zone”. That last comment about “fierce civic pride” and “transient community” took it over the top. That’s like jumbo shrimp or militant pacifist. I need a RokZone graphic, dammit!!!

Advertisement
Either The City Of Miami was trying to get over biiiiiiiig time, or you just made that figure up.

The Bounce House in Orlando and Houston's stadium cost less than $200M to build combined, so ain't no way in **** was a stadium reno gonna cost more than building a stadium from scratch.

Plus I remember the numbers that were being thrown around for an OB reno, nothing even remotely close to the 9 figures you're talking about.
Church!

You must have missed that day in class where they went over the lesson on “correlation is not causation”. No biggie
Joining the ACC and moving to HRS has ensured that we'll go 7-5 in perpetuity, but the school knows it can count on us to renew season tix so we can one-up each other in the parking lot with all new tailgating gear and enjoy the awesome beer selection inside the stadium while we socialize and watch the jumbotrons. The school may not have seen the Stephen Ross era coming, but they know who their audience is now and their gravy train keeps rolling.

Joining the ACC and moving to HRS has ensured that we'll go 7-5 in perpetuity, but the school knows it can count on us to renew season tix so we can one-up each other in the parking lot with all new tailgating gear and enjoy the awesome beer selection inside the stadium while we socialize and watch the jumbotrons. The school may not have seen the Stephen Ross era coming, but they know who their audience is now and their gravy train keeps rolling.

0793A8FE-ED4D-4378-9787-67CA68DE14FD.gif

We are now officially in the “RokZone”

Advertisement
Either The City Of Miami was trying to get over biiiiiiiig time, or you just made that figure up.

The Bounce House in Orlando and Houston's stadium cost less than $200M to build combined, so ain't no way in **** was a stadium reno gonna cost more than building a stadium from scratch.

Plus I remember the numbers that were being thrown around for an OB reno, nothing even remotely close to the 9 figures you're talking about.
I don't know anything about the renovation numbers for the Orange Bowl but stadiums like UCF's and FAU's are really bare bones erector sets. There's very little concrete and the entire stadium is really a giant version of the aluminum bleachers at high schools. I also know that UCF had to sink a bunch of money into repairs on their stadium and it's only like 13 years old. It's like comparing a prefabricated home to a custom built home.

Advertisement
@RVACane do we a graphic or gif for “you have now entered the Rok zone”. That last comment about “fierce civic pride” and “transient community” took it over the top. That’s like jumbo shrimp or militant pacifist. I need a RokZone graphic, dammit!!!
Wait do you really not agree that the OB held significant importance in a city devoid of historic landmarks? The stadium wasn't just metal and bolts, it was the one place where a Miamian could be surrounded by others who shared pride in hailing from here. What city are you from?

Renovating an existing stadium that is structurally unsound and hasn't been touched in decades is significantly more expensive than building a brand new one on unimproved land. There's a reason why most facilities are discarded once they reach the end of their lifespan, instead of renovating. The OB needed ton of basic structural work just to bring it up to code, you had to completely revamp(or in this case) create legitimate luxury seating options, update concessions, update/build new locker rooms, as well as potentially buy out some of the housing in the area to create expanded parking options. That tab could easily reach into the nine figures, and that's not including the inefficiency of the City and the inevitable cost overruns.

Renovating an existing stadium that is structurally unsound and hasn't been touched in decades is significantly more expensive than building a brand new one on unimproved land. There's a reason why most facilities are discarded once they reach the end of their lifespan, instead of renovating. The OB needed ton of basic structural work just to bring it up to code, you had to completely revamp(or in this case) create legitimate luxury seating options, update concessions, update/build new locker rooms, as well as potentially buy out some of the housing in the area to create expanded parking options. That tab could easily reach into the nine figures, and that's not including the inefficiency of the City and the inevitable cost overruns.
Nah, Willow flat out refused to pony up the cash on UM's behalf. Let it go homie lol

Advertisement
Back