Mirrored Concepts

Yeah about this. I actually called a radio station two times in my life. One to say that hitting 290 in the playoffs and 290 in the regular season is clutch because the level of pitching you see in the playoffs is better so a 290 playoff average has more merit. And to say in year 2 of D'onofrio, that running a 2 gap 3/4 with miami players was a bad idea and not identifying to the talent base down here. (In year TWO)

Big O told me "He doesn't have the joes to run his system bro" Then he hung up on me.

I was right. D'onofrio just got fired again. 6 years later.

Same thing with our offense right now.

Do you think Richt is running this stuff because he doesn't trust his QB? That's my assumption, so my follow-up would be do you think that's a valid concern and/or do you think Perry really needs training wheels right now?

Advertisement
Earnest buddy. Miami needs to improve at certain positions. He doesn't have the offensive line talent, that is true in part. But Mark Richt's offense this year was no where near what it should have been from a play call standpoint at times either. The thing that alarms me is that how it was 93rd when it dropped to 44th in turnover margin. And we have still been particularly bad on third down. (Vs Pitt we only completed 2 third down conversions)

I tried to highlight in this thread and say that the over reliance on mirrored concepts are part to blame for that. Try to put an example of other teams using different concepts other than that. I have seen the same play call on third and long called three times in a row (mirrored switch routes where two guys stand in the same spot at the end of the play)

I think we can all come to common ground here and say, we have some talent to improve upon. We have some play calling to improve upon too.

No one is saying we have the talent that Bama does on the O-line. But it's better talent than the rest of our division. The problem with Richt is that he has a perceived loyalty (to a fault) with this staff. OL development has been bad for 3 years now and it's not getting better, nor is recruiting on that aspect. That, is one of the main reasons why Richt is getting so much flak.

Name one successful or even midrange college offense that has an offensive line in the same inept universe as has been the case for the Canes over the past two years. Due to that glaring inadequacy, defensive coordinators know that the Canes running game is putrid and almost every pass play looks like a dismissal of the last class of the last day of school as the kids/defensive linemen are unimpeded and come running and screaming on a beeline to the exits/our QB.

And yet, Richt hasn't put an emphasis on OL recruiting and hired Searels who is not a good OL recruit or developer.

Same thing with our offense right now.

Do you think Richt is running this stuff because he doesn't trust his QB? That's my assumption, so my follow-up would be do you think that's a valid concern and/or do you think Perry really needs training wheels right now?

I can almost assure you he doesn't trust his QB. He pulled him like 6 minutes into the Virginia game. The offense running so many mirrored concepts does in fact have an offense for beginners type feel right now. A lot of repeat calls. Limited variety on things. etc. Ultimately something needs to give, because it was a night and day difference between the play calls we displayed all year and the ones I saw last night.

Regardless of talent. Strictly from the play call/formation standpoint.

Advertisement
Nonsense! That bullshyt lie you concocted about the offense being taken away from Coach Richt would be funny if not for being so pathetically stupid!

"From 2012-14 Georgia had one of the most prolific offenses in college football, despite myriad injuries to key skill position players." ~DawgNation
Are u pretending to not know what happened early in Richts tenure? That’s not like u to obfuscate like that.

Mark Richt was nowhere that prolific offense. He wasn’t the OC and didn’t call plays. He was as instrumental in the O as I was.

Advertisement
In all seriousness, @Roman Marciante based on the personnel we have, what should Richt be running? Lets keep it super basic...what would you say to Richt if u had an opportunity?... All this mirror stuff is as **** as a geek learning open source software coding but doesn't mean squat if we are not getting the desired production or results.

In all seriousness, @Roman Marciante based on the personnel we have, what should Richt be running? Lets keep it super basic...what would you say to Richt if u had an opportunity?... All this mirror stuff is as **** as a geek learning open source software coding but doesn't mean squat if we are not getting the desired production or results.

Oh my goodness. This is Christmas. Let me think. Honestly a spread variant. You cannot deny the 7.25 yards a rush average from the spread the last two weeks was by accident.

I would borrow concepts from Houston. Just how they spread the field with spacing.
(Like how the align WR outside the hash to add horizontal pressure)
I would employ some check with me at times (not all the time) but it can help a young qb out.
I would employ motion. Silly not to. (Dabol ran motion in the red zone 3 straight plays to help identify the defense)
Keep a diversified run game (run zone/man/split zone/duo/pin pull) you name it we will be ambush types.
Instill some bunch and tight concepts to. They can be super effective and beat man.

I guess If I had my way I would run a Houston/Clemson/Maryland/St Louis Rams hybrid. LOL

Just literally go around the country and find out what the highest % plays were from every level of college and NFL's best offenses and STEAL THEM ALL.

Advertisement
Oh my goodness. This is Christmas. Let me think. Honestly a spread variant. You cannot deny the 7.25 yards a rush average from the spread the last two weeks was by accident.

I would borrow concepts from Houston. Just how they spread the field with spacing.
(Like how the align WR outside the hash to add horizontal pressure)
I would employ some check with me at times (not all the time) but it can help a young qb out.
I would employ motion. Silly not to. (Dabol ran motion in the red zone 3 straight plays to help identify the defense)
Keep a diversified run game (run zone/man/split zone/duo/pin pull) you name it we will be ambush types.
Instill some bunch and tight concepts to. They can be super effective and beat man.

I guess If I had my way I would run a Houston/Clemson/Maryland/St Louis Rams hybrid. LOL

Just literally go around the country and find out what the highest % plays were from every level of college and NFL's best offenses and STEAL THEM ALL.

Lol. Houston, Clemson, Ram...lol. Thank you Sir @Roman Marciante like the saying goes, if you have two alibi, you have no alibi. Mork better burn his playbook for warmth in NY and when he gets back start printing one that maximizes our players capabilities next year or we are in trouble....or he is in trouble I should say.

But honestly to get philosophical for the same question.

I think when you do not have a dominant offensive line, spreading teams out horizontally with spacing gets teams go defend outside the box. That is why every big long run you have seen pop over the past two weeks had a bubble screen attached to it. Teams are stretching out and Miami is running with more numbers up the middle.

Then you stay diversified with your offensive line blocking styles.

In the history of mankind in terms of warfare, the "inferior" opponent always neutralized the stronger entity by using deceit, speed, ambush and misdirection. Can't just march guys onto a field of battle and go head up with someone stronger than you. You will get beat 10/10 times.

Plus the spread will allow what Miami intrinsically creates to your advantage. Speed on the parameter. You do not take a cheetah and tell it to run inside of a box. Let it run in space. Plus these kids in high school all run it. They have relative familiarity and it's now so much part of the NFL game that it's attractive to potential recruits.

@Earnest T. Bass is oblivious. Set himself up for that.
I repeat, how do you know Coach Richt hasn't placed an emphasis on OL recruiting?

Via social media, the Herd has declared war on Richt and the UM football program. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Herd is mooing that Mark Richt should be fired, knows nothing about football and will never win a championship, and those are the nice things being said about the man.

The Herd is in the midst of burning the program to the ground. Even after the two most recent wins, the Herd would have none of it and even raised the volume and venom of said attacks.

And the most cowardly aspect of this execution is the Herd is a major reason that recruits are running from the program yet with a special kind of cowardice in unison they say that their actions don't play a role in this situation...simply unbelievable!

Advertisement
But honestly to get philosophical for the same question.

I think when you do not have a dominant offensive line, spreading teams out horizontally with spacing gets teams go defend outside the box. That is why every big long run you have seen pop over the past two weeks had a bubble screen attached to it. Teams are stretching out and Miami is running with more numbers up the middle.

Then you stay diversified with your offensive line blocking styles.

In the history of mankind in terms of warfare, the "inferior" opponent always neutralized the stronger entity by using deceit, speed, ambush and misdirection. Can't just march guys onto a field of battle and go head up with someone stronger than you. You will get beat 10/10 times.

Plus the spread will allow what Miami intrinsically creates to your advantage. Speed on the parameter. You do not take a cheetah and tell it to run inside of a box. Let it run in space. Plus these kids in high school all run it. They have relative familiarity and it's now so much part of the NFL game that it's attractive to potential recruits.

I love that metaphor. Telling a cheetah to run in a box. That was perfect. That was like Mr. Miyagi levels. Richt being a control freak and passive. He does not understand his cheetahs. We are screwed. Somebody get Mork a freaking pet cheetah for Xmas.

#RespectTheGame

I repeat, how do you know Coach Richt hasn't placed an emphasis on OL recruiting?

Via social media, the Herd has declared war on Richt and the UM football program. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Herd is mooing that Mark Richt should be fired, knows nothing about football and will never win a championship, and those are the nice things being said about the man.

The Herd is in the midst of burning the program to the ground. Even after the two most recent wins, the Herd would have none of it and even raised the volume and venom of said attacks.

And the most cowardly aspect of this execution is the Herd is a major reason that recruits are running from the program yet with a special kind of cowardice in unison they say that their actions don't play a role in this situation...simply unbelievable!
The “herd” just schooled you on his very own play design hindering the Offense and not helping his players while you were arguing that 1 + 1 = 11 in order to defend him...

Your theory has merit, but. Do not make the mistake of comparing Georgia’s talented players to our lousy to mediocre players. Our lack of talent on offense yields the crappy results we have seen all year. A change of offensive philosophy will result in very little improvement in our productivity.

Stop it.

I wouldn't say I am shooting from the hip here. You are correct in saying that there is no check with me system. There isn't. The offensive line sets the protections. True statement. By going silent count, the quarterback (by design) is not checking into right plays based on late walk ups simply because he is waiting for the snap to come intently while the offensive line is still actively setting protections. While that process is going on, the qb mental picture can change and the offense has been victimized multiple times this year by these blitz varieties. That I could gladly show you on film.

The natural blitz beater built into this offense is usually the boundary side slant flat progression. On 2x2 it is the halfback check or flat. Those are both ture. When Miami kept more into block this game vs pitt, it came with a cost. The mirrored 2x2 had none of the customary blitz beaters attached with it.. It essentially put the qb on an island. It relied on the offensive line protecting right and having the quarterback read the field beyond that.

I have never once caught miami audibling this year from 2x2 and running a split call. I had Mark Richt actually calling the same mirrored switch combo 5 out of 6 times on third and long going over the course of two games. That was run vs varied coverages and never once sight adjusted. The mirrored routes run the mirrored routes that is as rigid as it gets.

I don't want to say "trust me" beyond that. But I had a way to double check my math on this one. If I looked at my paper right that is. But some concepts in this offense have adjusted capabilities, in this case. No.

Still, the over reliance of mirrored concepts is extremely evident in this offense, and it was my opinion that it limits this offense at times. That's all. Great counter argument though.

The QB has a vantage-point the OL doesn't have and, once he starts the cadence, the QB has the final say of when he hands the silent count over to the center. Perry can clap once (or fake clap) and then have a late walk-up to reset protection & change the play with skill players before the second clap to start the silent count. I've seen that and I think he has a little more control than he's exercising in this instance.

I think N'Kosi would be better in a check with me system that simplifies processing, but that belies the fact we don't protect or pitch and catch well.

Advertisement
Back