Mirrored Concepts

Advertisement
Wide receiver took at hit with the loss of jt4 and ahmmon. No doubt. Miami not as deep as it once was. Need some of the younger guys like, pope, ezzard, hightower to take a step. We need them to.

Home is about to be a 1000 yard back. Needs like 31 more yards. That is not bad. Dallas is our playmaker (don't get me started on how we use him) I think that is a better one two punch than you allude to.

Brevin and Mallory, although young, are special talents. Brevin was going to be an all acc tight end if he didn't get hurt. Freshman all american type.

Quarterback? I predicted on the pod earlier with d$ that he would usurp rosier. I wasn't too far off there although there was some bumps. But we need better play at the moment from that position. Both guys didn't perform at a level needed that we needed them to.

That is my honest assessment of the players. But in the same breath, that was enough talent to win the worst division in p5. :)

Honestly, It doesn’t matter what concept we run rather it’s tight bunch, smash concept, mills, stick, etc. We can’t block. We can come out there running Mike leach’s concepts but if we can’t win 1 vs. 1 consistently and pick up disguises/blitzes it’ll be the same result over and over again.

I never pile on the offensive line like most. I saw uga and bama have some busts and simply get beat last night. Offensive line woes I would venture to guess go on at 127 out of 130 schools in the country. Every fan base I know complains about it. I have heard the dolphins complain about offensive line troubles for around 20 years now. lol. (With that said we do in fact need to recruit it better at that position)

I agree that this isn't an offensive line who can consistently be great at one thing. You cannot put them in 70% zone concepts and expect them to dominate. They can not just out power you 90% of the time. But I have seen the last two weeks some really nice run plays where they were excellent in their execution. But the key was, they had some wrinkles around the run game to include, qb play fake keeping the de at bay and a bubble screen taking two defenders with it. etc etc. I always said they need to be diversified in order to hold the advantage.

They get caught doing bad things. I just don't think we praise them enough when they actually do good. You simply cannot block it better here. (Miami is averaging 7.25 yards a rush the last two games in more spread concepts btw)

Advertisement
Of course UGA runs different concepts because no playbook is the same but I was talking schematically. UGA literally runs the same inside zone construction and an identical screen pass construction. It looks night and day because they block at a totally different level than us. As I said earlier, we can come out running what the Pirate runs in Pullman but the result will still be the same because we struggle to do the basic things up front.

Hence why Mack Brown needs to get off to a hot start and pull him to UNC.

In my humble opinion, I honestly saw more coley influence with Georgia this game than Richt. Coley more of a stack, bunch, multi formational guy than richt. And honestly UGA was using a lot of DUO blocking last night. Did a good job running from the spread and doubling the backside defensive end and they got it to pop a few times. Definitely more power blocking last night than zone.

Their offensive line is much better at execution I will add. Seamlessly passing off stunts and passing things off. I honestly can say that was night and day difference. Below I show you an example of DUO. Just double team the line and essentially throw them into linebackers. Fun stuff. (And listen this wasn't a show up type thing, I find myself thinking something and until I watch the film back I realize I simply didn't know)

I don't want to talk about the 90's because that was over 20 years ago. What have you done for me lately is how college football works. In Bobby Bowden's last years at FSU, do you think people were bringing up the 80's, 90's and early 2000's? No. They were focusing on what type of coach he was at the present, which was a shell of his former self.

It does not make one **** what offense is being run nor who the offensive coordinator is when your offensive line is inarguably pathetic even if they were lining up in a youth league setting. I've witnessed two years of offensive line ineptness that would qualify as the worst to ever line-up for the Canes stretching back to the Andy Gustafson era. Fix, the offensive line and Mark Richt will be viewed as an offensive coordinator guru.

Interesting, you don't want to talk about the 90's because that screws up your hate fest.

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.” “There are three types of lies -- lies, **** lies, and statistics.”

Earnest buddy. Miami needs to improve at certain positions. He doesn't have the offensive line talent, that is true in part. But Mark Richt's offense this year was no where near what it should have been from a play call standpoint at times either. The thing that alarms me is that how it was 93rd when it dropped to 44th in turnover margin. And we have still been particularly bad on third down. (Vs Pitt we only completed 2 third down conversions)

I tried to highlight in this thread and say that the over reliance on mirrored concepts are part to blame for that. Try to put an example of other teams using different concepts other than that. I have seen the same play call on third and long called three times in a row (mirrored switch routes where two guys stand in the same spot at the end of the play)

I think we can all come to common ground here and say, we have some talent to improve upon. We have some play calling to improve upon too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It does not make one **** what offense is being run nor who the offensive coordinator is when your offensive line is inarguably pathetic even if they were lining up in a youth league setting. I've witnessed two years of offensive line ineptness that would qualify as the worst to ever line-up for the Canes stretching back to the Andy Gustafson era. Fix, the offensive line and Mark Richt will be viewed as an offensive coordinator guru.
No he wouldn’t. He runs old ancient artifact concepts that doesn’t help his QB one bit. That tight bunch mesh concept Roman used perfectly illustrates how you help your QB. The design of the play itself leaves the wheel completely open and his first post using the crosser as a bail out is something Richt could use now but he doesn’t. Richt couldn’t draw Chaney’s concepts on both these plays if he was coping off of him.

Holloman, Ridley, and Godwin are light years better than any WRs on UM's roster right now.

For one thing, they actually catch ball consistently.

In the SEC UGA doesn't have a single receiver in the top 20. (23rd is the highest)
I honestly think if Miami isn't victimized this year with its 2 best receivers no longer being on this team, they stack up well with anyone.
Right now, Miami needs some young guns to step up.

I said I wasn't overly impressed with uga's. I didn't say Miami's current kids were better.

Earnest buddy. Miami needs to improve at certain positions. He doesn't have the offensive line talent, that is true in part. But Mark Richt's offense this year was no where near what it should have been from a play call standpoint at times either. The thing that alarms me is that how it was 93rd when it dropped to 44th in turnover margin. And we have still been particularly bad on third down. (Vs Pitt we only completed 2 third down conversions)

I tried to highlight in this thread and say that the over reliance on mirrored concepts are part to blame for that. Try to put an example of other teams using different concepts other than that. I have seen the same play call on third and long called three times in a row (mirrored switch routes where two guys stand in the same spot at the end of the year)

I think we can all come to common ground here and say, we have some talent to improve upon. We have some play calling to improve upon too.

That play screams Richt trying to force the ball to go to the outside.

I tried to highlight in this thread and say that the over reliance on mirrored concepts are part to blame for that. Try to put an example of other teams using different concepts other than that. I have seen the same play call on third and long called three times in a row (mirrored switch routes where two guys stand in the same spot at the end of the year)

Name one successful or even midrange college offense that has an offensive line in the same inept universe as has been the case for the Canes over the past two years. Due to that glaring inadequacy, defensive coordinators know that the Canes running game is putrid and almost every pass play looks like a dismissal of the last class of the last day of school as the kids/defensive linemen are unimpeded and come running and screaming on a beeline to the exits/our QB.

Advertisement
That play screams Richt trying to force the ball to go to the outside.

Yeah it is a twist on all verticals essentially. The difference vs pitt was that the Halfback was kept into block to protect vs the blitz and the blitz beater wasn't there. You essentially proved to another poster when we debated that the system isn't as "rigid" as I made it out to believe. But here you are vs Georgia Tech running the same mirrored concept. No audible. No real difference except....

Richt ran the same concepts vs Pitt. He just kept more into block. I think this offense can be a lot more that all vertical, mirrored concepts and an over reliance on only a few downs that are utilized multiple times a game vs certain downs and distances.

And yes. This ball is getting forced down the field. With two guys standing in the same place when done. :)

Name one successful or even midrange college offense that has an offensive line in the same inept universe as has been the case for the Canes over the past two years. Due to that glaring inadequacy, defensive coordinators know that the Canes running game is putrid and almost every pass play looks like a dismissal of the last class of the last day of school as the kids/defensive linemen are unimpeded and come running and screaming on a beeline to the exits/our QB.

Earnest it is not as bad as you think it is.

7.25 yards a rush the last two games. 23rd in the nation with a 5.19 yards a rush average. 2368 total yards rushing. 66 more teams gave up more sacks than Miami. Miami was the third leading rushing team in the coastal division. (6th overall in the acc) Virginia Duke Boston College actually were worse in that area.

I can prove my work but if you still believe the offensive line was that bad, I do not know, maybe there is an agenda here? Listen when someone says it is all on Richt's play calling, I will come and aid you and say the players take blame too. But I will be a persistent adversary to you when Richt gets zero blame for this offense. Fair?

Yeah it is a twist on all verticals essentially. The difference vs pitt was that the Halfback was kept into block to protect vs the blitz and the blitz beater wasn't there. You essentially proved to another poster when we debated that the system isn't as "rigid" as I made it out to believe. But here you are vs Georgia Tech running the same mirrored concept. No audible. No real difference except....

Richt ran the same concepts vs Pitt. He just kept more into block. I think this offense can be a lot more that all vertical, mirrored concepts and an over reliance on only a few downs that are utilized multiple times a game vs certain downs and distances.

And yes. This ball is getting forced down the field. With two guys standing in the same place when done. :)
What’s worse is that he can replace those posts with 10-15 yard crossing routes with a check down and it’ll make a huge difference. It would eat man coverage up.

Advertisement
Your theory has merit, but. Do not make the mistake of comparing Georgia’s talented players to our lousy to mediocre players. Our lack of talent on offense yields the crappy results we have seen all year. A change of offensive philosophy will result in very little improvement in our productivity.

Do you really not remember when we had no DT talent, then we got a new DC and suddenly our DTs were just fine?

What’s worse is that he can replace those posts with 10-15 yard crossing routes with a check down and it’ll make a huge difference. It would eat man coverage up.

Yeah I would much rather see the one side run switch wheel (option to sit with cushion) post to one side.
Then on the other run a swtich wheel drag to the other.
It is unmirrored and it can have a crosser in view of the quarterback vs the blitz
Plus two guys aren't standing in the same spot when done.
A drag (in) from one side post on the other is essentially an NCAA combo.

When I called the mirrored switch post/wheel lazy play design. I was actually holding my tongue. lol

since you blame everything on the OL, how do you explain Richt having only 1 OL commitment (soon to be zero) for the class of ‘19 in December ‘18? Sounds like he’s falling down at his job, if he sees the OL they way you do.

Do you really not remember when we had no DT talent, then we got a new DC and suddenly our DTs were just fine?

Yeah about this. I actually called a radio station two times in my life. One to say that hitting 290 in the playoffs and 290 in the regular season is clutch because the level of pitching you see in the playoffs is better so a 290 playoff average has more merit. And to say in year 2 of D'onofrio, that running a 2 gap 3/4 with miami players was a bad idea and not identifying to the talent base down here. (In year TWO)

Big O told me "He doesn't have the joes to run his system bro" Then he hung up on me.

I was right. D'onofrio just got fired again. 6 years later.

Advertisement
Back