Michigan State game

Because ****ting on Pinckney and Quarterman basically became a meme on this board, and I think some people underestimate how much we'll miss them next year. Losing Bandy hurts too.

I don't think it will be a dramatic drop off, but still noticeable.

Valid points. I think having McCloud back has made me more
Optimistic. If we didn’t have him that LB room would be scary. I just hope that DL and Safety group can mask the LB’s until they are fully comfortable.

Advertisement
Thinking we roll anyone after last year's debacle is wishful thinking until we see what kind of heart/effort this team has.

Michigan State is down right now in terms of talent but one thing those Dantonio teams always had was toughness. Our players will be challenge with physical play. How they respond will determine the outcome.

You can never tell if a team will be good or not so I have no idea . MSU could be a 8-4 type team or a 4-8 one . Still our toughest game of the first 4-5 .

The Temple game should give us insight on how the Michigan State game should go. Hopefully the Wagner game is enough of a confidence builder for the offense side of the ball.

Advertisement
It’s going to take a total meltdown of this program for this team not to win double digits next year.

It’s not like last year and the FIU flashbacks need to be no more relevant than the Notre Dame beat down.

Is Manny Diaz being Miami coach a total meltdown? Because that will likely keep Miami from winning double digits next year.

That analogy only works if you think Tate Martel, Jarren Williams, and Dan Enos are the same ingredients as King, Lashlee, and our new offense
I understand your point except I don't consider those 3 individuals are the main reason why we looked so horrible last year. We may have not beaten some of the better teams on our schedule with them, but common. The whole team sucked, for lack of a better word. The culture of the whole team was bad. The defense was not as good as the year before.

You are taking a leap of faith saying replacing 3 individuals on the team will magically make us winners, from losing to FIU, Duke and Louisiana Tech to "feeling good" about beating Michigan State. Now, that still can happen and I'm not discounting that. But to me, it would be because the light bulb suddenly comes on inside Diaz's head. More than anything else.

At the end of last season, I was convinced that with Martel, Williams and Enos another "decent" head coach would have us beat FIU, Duke and LA Tech with the exact same roster.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we averaged 31 points the last 3 years we only lose like 4-5 games

The offense has been a disaster for the past 3 years even when we were 10-0 in 2017

MSU apparently made a run at Mel Tucker of all people and failed. I have some friends that are Spartans and Bears fans and needless to say they were not amused that this was even a possibility.

If they can't manage to get Fickell now this is shaping up to be a disaster for them. I could see them then overpaying for a schlub like Narduzzi since he already went on the record as saying he's staying at Pitt- probably to both save face if MSU didn't have interest and/or to create leverage if they have to circle back to him.

I don’t understand the mentality of “we will roll”. Didn’t they still have a top 20 defense? That much more impressive considering how bad their offense was

Advertisement
We said that last year too. Manny allowed this program to implode in a single year. Until he proves he's righted the ship, i'm not thinking anything this grand.

It imploded in a single year? Do you know how many games Richt won in 2018? Miami had a 10 win season in 2017. I said it at the time that it was smoke and mirrors. It took 2 miracles courtesy of a WR that was a nonfactor the rest of the season to avoid being 8-4. But for the miracles, Richt's 3 years would have gone from 9 wins to 8 wins to 7 wins. Diaz won 6. It is in line with the downward trajectory of the program. There was no "implosion", it was just a continuation of the awful teams going back to 2006.

MSU apparently made a run at Mel Tucker of all people and failed. I have some friends that are Spartans and Bears fans and needless to say they were not amused that this was even a possibility.

If they can't manage to get Fickell now this is shaping up to be a disaster for them. I could see them then overpaying for a schlub like Narduzzi since he already went on the record as saying he's staying at Pitt- probably to both save face if MSU didn't have interest and/or to create leverage if they have to circle back to him.
Enos is still job-less lol

Advertisement
Dude! The kicker alone is worth + 6 a game and I’m serious ! Drilling 50 yds+ against US! We will score in 30’s per game .

We don't even need that many points to see a significant spike in scoring offense.

Enos had us at 25.7 points a game and ranked in the 90s. If we only improve our scoring average by 3 points we are in the 50s. I don't think we are going to win anything meaningful with Manny, but to think we wont make a gigantic leap forward with our offense next season with this qb, staff, and scheme is bizarre.

And on defense, we'll see a drop off for sure, but it won't be catastrophic.
Agree on the offense playing significantly better than last season’s horrific display. Disagree the defense will have a drop-off. Sure the LB’s will not have Shaq and Pinckney’s experience but they’ll be much faster and will seal gaps better because of it. Coupled with another season under the secondary’s belt (and hopefully Hall and Bolden not doing jumping high 5’), and their experience will be better than 2019. Then you add what will be our best DE group, including depth, in a long, long time and collectively the defense will not have the drop-off many are proposing. In fact, I think with the offense’s ability to rack up more points that opposing offense’s will take more risks that will play into our defense’s hands.

This thread got me curious,

It's the toughest of our first six games, but they aren't even good.

On offense they return basically everyone but their terrible QB, and don't have anybody behind him. Their OL, RB, WR, and TE are all decent enough. They don't give up sacks, run the ball ok, and have some ok receivers. They just can't score and were worse than us at it.

On defense their front 7 is pretty good, especially the LB Simmons. They had almost as many sacks and turnovers as we did. They lost their top pass rusher, but their projected starting 4 are more than solid. They've got a good safety and CB coming back, but nothing special.

And their coach just retired, so when we play it will be against a new coaching staff and all the **** I just posted.

Tell me we don't roll these clowns.

When your offense is as bad as MSU, returning offensive starters is a bad thing.

Dantonio retiring is a positive for MSU if they get Luke Fickell. Dantonio was growing stale, and his idea to revamp their offense was to change the position each of their offensive coRches coRched.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back