Miami's Tate Martell contemplating move to wide receiver

Advertisement
Cut it out man...

Anquan Boldin had 118rec 1,790yds 21TD's in 3 years in college & 1,076rec 13,779yds 82TD's a Superbowl & was a 3x Pro bowler in the NFL.

Tate has been a WR for less than 24 hours, I get it, he ran the fastest shuttle time ever, but please stop with this "he has an edge" on this guy or that guy talk. Anquan Boldin was literally one the best WR's in the business from 03-2014.

You guys are getting way outta hand with this smh.
What is the difference in hand size/strength. Anquan had a crazy ability to hold on to everything that most life long WR's dream about. It's not all about measurements.

Advertisement
Made us better how?!!! Why are some of you making this kid out be a legend when he ain't did JACK **** since he left high school?!! All this kid had to do was set one foot on UM campus and we instantly became a playoff contender! **** man, the crap some of yall come up with! Sheesh!

he added the element of being a threat and competition to the QB room, which as you know sucked last year in part because of Nkosi's and Jarren's immaturity (not to take away blame from the Richts). by all accounts, Tate is a film and workout junkie.Tate elevated the room and by consequence the team by causing Nkosi and Jarren to stop comiendo mierda and take this **** seriously. he made THEM better at preparing for their positions.

Advertisement
Nah.

Braxton Miller and Terrelle Pryor.

Tate as our 3rd wideout would be absolutely nasty. Competitive mfer, fast, shifty and knows routes. If this is true it could be huge. I don't thin too much of any of the dudes at WR outside of JT and Osborn (based on coaches praise).

You have no idea if he has the requisite skill set, i.e. route running, hands, and just a general feel for being a wide receiver. He may very well be. But it’s a brand new position for him and you’re projecting the fact that he’s quick as a quarterback to him being a good wide receiver. Doesn’t always turn out that way. Some guys can’t catch the ball. Some guys are not good route runners. Or at the very least need time to develop and hone those skills.

I’m not trying to **** on the fact that he might end up being a good wide receiver, I’m just saying that there are a lot of steps between here and there. But hey you never know maybe he just to takes the position right away. But there’s no guarantee.

Look I know Tate is not a true WR or RB, but the kid is an athlete we know that.

I get what some posters on here are saying. You put him on the field in certain packages. There's nothing saying he has to be the one to get the ball, but its gonna make defenses think and react differently due to his athleticism and the chance they run something where he ends up throwing the ball.

Cut it out man...

Anquan Boldin had 118rec 1,790yds 21TD's in 3 years in college & 1,076rec 13,779yds 82TD's a Superbowl & was a 3x Pro bowler in the NFL.

Tate has been a WR for less than 24 hours, I get it, he ran the fastest shuttle time ever, but please stop with this "he has an edge" on this guy or that guy talk. Anquan Boldin was literally one the best WR's in the business from 03-2014.

What those numbers about Bolden don’t show, and fūck me for saying something nice about a semenhole, is that he was tough as nails - glue hands, broad shoulder strong, would fight off jams like a knife through butter, and generally always won when fighting for the ball. Those are his best attributes, his toughness as a receiver. But fūck him anyway.

Made us better how?!!! Why are some of you making this kid out be a legend when he ain't did JACK **** since he left high school?!! All this kid had to do was set one foot on UM campus and we instantly became a playoff contender! **** man, the crap some of yall come up with! Sheesh!

He made the team better by bringing out the best in Williams. I’m pretty sure we don’t see the kind of intensity we just had in our QB competition if it’s a 2 man race with the guys we had here.

Advertisement
I like it. I don’t see that he would take a ton of meaningful snaps at the position this season but he could get in every now and then, give the defense something extra to worry about with his passing ability.

I mostly like it for our/his future though. If he dedicates himself to the position change, he could find himself in the rotation next season. He has above average physical attributes for a slot WR, should know the route tree and most QBs have good hands.

If he’s third team at QB, I’d rather this then him transfer. He could always move back if injuries hit. Kudos to him for swallowing his pride and giving it a shot. Hope it works out for him.

Cut it out man...

Bro, again you are reading into things for whatever reason. It seems like you really just don't like the kid.

Tate has an edge in most measurables. That is in black and white, and something you are free to look up yourself. You showed me Boldens stats- that has nothing to do with looking at the numbers that you can measure with a ruler and a stopwatch.

I'm not the one suggesting he become a WR, the coaches did that. Do you normally see coaches ask 5 star QBs to try out at WR? No. That's not typical. So that means he has some level of athleticism and catching ability recognized by the staff.

Then the question is ok, if he tries out a WR, who has similar measurables? Would he be an outside guy or inside guy? Great. We can predict where he'd line up on the field. I picked Bolden because he ran a 4.7, which is a bit slow for a WR. If you think that the 2" height difference means they cant be compared, then fair enough. These are all just the things we can look at based on what we can research.

What we don't know is how good his hands are or if he knows how to run routes. No way to tell except to see him get reps in practice. It's been 24 hrs, he's not stealing anyone's starting job. However, now that he's at WR, it gives Enos some trick plays that he didn't have before.

I just want to reiterate, Enos and Diaz are the ones looking at moving him to WR, not the CIS board. QBs are a lot more valuable than WRs, so the fact that they are willing to let their prize portal transfer switch to WR must mean they have some level of confidence in his abilities as a WR.

Last edited:
Advertisement
av.gif

Bro, again you are reading into things for whatever reason. It seems like you really just don't like the kid. I'm not the one suggesting he become a WR, the coaches did that. Do you normally see coaches ask 5 star QBs to try out at WR? No. That's not typical. So that means he has some level of athleticism and catching ability recognized by the staff.

Then the question is ok, if he tries out a WR, who has similar measurables? Would he be an outside guy or inside guy? Great. We can predict where he'd line up on the field. I picked Bolden because he ran a 4.7, which is a bit slow for a WR. If you think that the 2" height difference means they cant be compared, then fair enough. These are all just the things we can look at based on what we can research.

What we don't know is how good his hands are or if he knows how to run routes. No way to tell except to see him get reps in practice. It's been 24 hrs, he's not stealing anyone's starting job. However, now that he's at WR, it gives Enos some trick plays that he didn't have before.

I just want to reiterate, Enos and Diaz are the ones looking at moving him to WR, not the CIS board. QBs are a lot more valuable than WRs, so the fact that they are willing to let their prize portal transfer switch to WR must mean they have some level of confidence in his abilities as a WR.
Where did I say I didn't like him? Everybody that doesn't think he's greatest player to ever live doesn't hate or dislike Tate. It's possible to like a player & still not think he's going to be Superstar at a brand new position he just switched to a day ago lol.

All I've said is you guys are going overboard already placing him above other WR's on the roster when he literally has had ONE practice at the position.

Anquan Boldin was a really really great WR, any comparison between Tate & Anquan starts & stops at the fact that they both at one point played QB in their career, that's it. The two aren't really comparable at all, testing numbers be damned lol.

That's all I'm saying.

Where did I say I didn't like him? Everybody that doesn't think he's greatest player to ever live doesn't hate or dislike Tate. It's possible to like a player & still not think he's going to be Superstar at a brand new position he just switched to a day ago lol.

All I've said is you guys are going overboard already placing him above other WR's on the roster when he literally has had ONE practice at the position.

Anquan Boldin was a really really great WR, any comparison between Tate & Anquan starts & stops at the fact that they both at one point played QB in their career, that's it. The two aren't really comparable at all, testing numbers be damned lol.

That's all I'm saying.

Testing numbers can be compared. You can make some generalizations from the numbers.

Hypothetical: Player A is 6'0" 200 lbs runs a 4.9 40, 4.8 shuttle, and has a 33" inch vertical. He's had great productive high school numbers as a WR. Player B is 6'0" 200 lbs, runs a 4.5 40, 3.8 shuttle, and a 37" vertical, but his HS team used him as a QB because of his athleticism. He has zero yards as a WR because he has never played the position.

The team has one scholarship left. Which do you sign?

I would guess that most people would offer player B as an athlete over player A (despite A's superior numbers as a WR) and figure out a position for him later in the 4 years you have him. Do you disagree?

Fans are looking at Jarren Williams and saying "he reminds me of McNabb or McNair". Is it wrong? No, we can look at physical attributes. Its what you do with QBs- compare their size and styles. It's fun to speculate even though Williams hasn't started a game. Are you dumping on those comparisons? I haven't seen you criticize the comparisons of Williams in any of those threads, but it seems you want to establish that you are the "voice of reason" here and rain on any comparisons of Tate to other WRs based on pure measurables. Why is it that you are doing that for Martell but not for Williams?

I highly doubt Tate gets into the WR rotation this year except in trick play situations. But 2 years from now? It's not unreasonable to think about his potential as a WR he will be if he works at the craft for two years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back